• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

Panama

Reaction score
It's a strange occurrence that those that criticized the casting of Prince of Persia and Ghost in the Shell are welcoming the casting of Bridgerton.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a strange occurrence that those that criticized the casting of Prince of Persia and Ghost in the Shell are welcoming the casting of Bridgerton.

It's actually about par for the course from people who believe classic clothing is racist while thinking themselves authorities on the subject.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched Mr. Bean recently and was devested to see that the actor casted was not, in fact, a bean.

I, too, often feel divested of things when I watch movies.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
In renaissance paintings biblical characters are often represented wearing modern (i.e. renaissance era) clothing, to make them more relatable. I think we should see some casting decisions in that light.

I don't want to get involved in this whole dumb conversation, but in the Northern Renaissance, at least after the Protestant Reformation, this was because Martin Luther (I believe) said that people should imagine the characters of the Bible in a contemporary setting. I think the idea was that this would help people understand and relate to Biblical characters better.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their name for a start and their collaborations . I don't know, why not call it Cooper & Stollbrand or something.
Well, for one thing, because Jack White was James Eden's great-grandfather. Jack White, while serving as a Private with the British Army in Mesopotamia in 1917 was awarded the Victoria Cross. After the war, White returned to Manchester and was apprenticed in a raincoat factory located in Cottenham House. By 1934 he had risen to be General Manager of the factory and by 1938 was the sole owner of the factory. The factory passed out of the hands of the family, but James reacquired the building and founded Private White VC. Seems entirely reasonable to name the company after his great-grandfather, military hero, and former owner of the building.

I'm acquainted with James Eden and I have a lot of respect for the man, his business practices, and the products his company makes. Which is more than I can say for a forum troll like you.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am one of those welcoming the innovative casting of Bridgerton. I've never heard of, nor seen, either of the two movies(?) to which you refer. It is strange, then, to find that I've somehow criticized the casting of those shows.

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Selling overpriced collar stays to his faithful horde of little snobs. And business, as they say, is booming.
Actually, this is one of the only YouTube mens fashion channels that gives you a window into the good stuff! I'd probably never buy much from his site, but enjoy seeing how bespoke shoes are made etc.

Panama

Reaction score
I am one of those welcoming the innovative casting of Bridgerton. I've never heard of, nor seen, either of the two movies(?) to which you refer. It is strange, then, to find that I've somehow criticized the casting of those shows.
The ego has landed...

Panama

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, because Jack White was James Eden's great-grandfather. Jack White, while serving as a Private with the British Army in Mesopotamia in 1917 was awarded the Victoria Cross. After the war, White returned to Manchester and was apprenticed in a raincoat factory located in Cottenham House. By 1934 he had risen to be General Manager of the factory and by 1938 was the sole owner of the factory. The factory passed out of the hands of the family, but James reacquired the building and founded Private White VC. Seems entirely reasonable to name the company after his great-grandfather, military hero, and former owner of the building.

I'm acquainted with James Eden and I have a lot of respect for the man, his business practices, and the products his company makes. Which is more than I can say for a forum troll like you.
How am I troll? I just think the company and name are pretentious. I am allowed my opinion, you may have yours. No other leading company includes an award (given to a great grandfather) in their name.
Has he served? One does not ride on another's coattails, so gauche.

Stylewords

Reaction score
As everyone is being a pedantic arse, I should point out that your conclusion does not follow from his statement.

Panama

Reaction score

Then follow the Italian's - J. White & Co 1938...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The secret is to stay away from "designer" labels. Burberry wasn't such a label but that changed at some point.

Oh, and this gay man did not think your remark was homophobic per se. I know of hetero, gay, and bi men with boyish qualities. I would probably refrain from using a word/term that is unnecessarily negative in tone. People are who/what they are. Someone else's personality is their business.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered a full length leather raincoat from a new German start up -
Oberführer Boss SA. It looks great and is made in Poland.
You're just being crass now, dude. Why?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics