• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything more insecure and banal than worrying over what people might think of one's political leanings because of the way they dress?

I mean, how do you choose what to wear in the morning? What, do you pick your outfit on the basis of that day's polling for the latest fop of a politician?

Politics ******.

Being worried about other people's opinions to that extent is just pathetic. You may as well give up now and be dressed by someone else.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything more insecure and banal than worrying over what people might think of one's political leanings because of they way they dress?

I mean, how do you choose what to wear in the morning? What, do you pick your outfit on the basis of that day's polling for the latest fop of a politician?

Politics ******.

Being worried about other people's opinions to that extent is just pathetic. You may as well give up now and be dressed by someone else.
Well isn't that most of this forum?

The rants posed by you seem aimed at random, invisible bogeymen ITT.

The only point I could piece together is not being a fan of menswear influencers.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well isn't that most of this forum?

The rants posed by you seem aimed at random, invisible bogeymen ITT.

The only point I could piece together is not being a fan of menswear influencers.

They reference actual posts claiming that classic clothing is tainted by association with racism, classism, and homophobia, and that what we wear is a political statement instead of a style one.

If most of the forum can't bring themselves to wear blazers for fear of what others think, then they have bigger problems than clothing.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, judge for yourself whether this is imaginary:

Sometimes I think this is why CM is dying. The kids don't wanna be associated with classism, racism, and homophobia. I threw up a little bit in my mouth reading this thread.

I don't think GenZ thinks about CM at all. It's not even on the radar. To the degree that is on the radar -- like Ivy Style stuff -- I agree that it's broadly associated with racism, classism, homophobia, etc. That's because a lot of CM is associated with political conservatives and has been since the 1950s.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone else, but if I chose my style on the basis of politics, I'd teach myself astral projection so I could walk up to me and punch myself in the face for being stupid.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread...
cloud.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They reference actual posts claiming that classic clothing is tainted by association with racism, classism, and homophobia, and that what we wear is a political statement instead of a style one.

If most of the forum can't bring themselves to wear blazers for fear of what others think, then they have bigger problems than clothing.
Ah ok, this is more focused.

I think they're not wrong unfortunately. I think an ongoing challenge for me is simultaneously dressing CM while paying attention to environment and setting.

I've had "boating school" and "security guard" comments while wearing the traditional navy blazer with gold buttons and mid grey trousers. This has been a 'uniform' of CM for a while. Not a fan of it.

I've personally had more success dressing in varying shades of green for sports coats and otherwise. It seems free of any connotations.

As for the bolded implied insecurities, touché, I'll accept that one for myself.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, this is more focused.

I think they're not wrong unfortunately. I think an ongoing challenge for me is simultaneously dressing CM while paying attention to environment and setting.

I've had "boating school" and "security guard" comments while wearing the traditional navy blazer with gold buttons and mid grey trousers. This has been a 'uniform' of CM for a while. Not a fan of it.

I've personally had more success dressing in varying shades of green for sports coats and otherwise. It seems free of any connotations.

As for the bolded implied insecurities, touché, I'll accept that one for myself.

Something like lifestyle connotations or occupation I can see. I only find it irritating when people think they can assume someone's politics by the way in which they dress, or that certain clothes are 'tainted' by association.

I'd point out to them the fact that much of the 'workwear' and 'upper-lower' fashion these days is simply a dig at the lower classes rather than an actual appreciation for the clothing, and that I've had nothing but appreciation and respect for my own style choices - because they're true to me, instead of chosen by others.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something like lifestyle connotations or occupation I can see. I only find it irritating when people think they can assume someone's politics by the way in which they dress, or that certain clothes are 'tainted' by association.

I'd point out to them the fact that much of the 'workwear' and 'upper-lower' fashion these days is simply a dig at the lower classes rather than an actual appreciation for the clothing, and that I've had nothing but appreciation and respect for my own style choices - because they're true to me, instead of chosen by others.
I agree, we can only change how we dress, not change other people's opinions. We all draw the line somewhere.

The last thing I'd want people to assume is me being a preppy, snooty jerk.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, we can only change how we dress, not change other people's opinions. We all draw the line somewhere.

The last thing I'd want people to assume is me being a preppy, snooty jerk.

Exactly. And if anyone wants proof they can just look at me: I'm a jerk sometimes, but I'm rarely in a need of a blazer to accomplish that.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything more insecure and banal than worrying over what people might think of one's political leanings because of they way they dress?

Politics ******.

This thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads