• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

Panama

Reaction score
He's trying very hard not to say what all the soi-disant critics of Bridgerton think, which is that it is bad because there **************** in it, almost as if they don't actually understand what the word 'fantasy' means.
How woke are you? But total rubbish. Everyone enjoyed Hamilton so it's not about that...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, zoomers in general are not dressing like that article. That is a very small, niche subculture.

Anyway, I feel like we're going in circles. Will leave you be with your beliefs.

Did I say that the greater part of Gen Z dressed like that?

You're the one with the demographic hangups. What I was talking about was appreciation for CM among the younger crowd - one can appreciate something and not actually dress like it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most English people are proud of their British history. Cue Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory. This is a horrendous caricature. Maybe if something you believed in was made a pastiche then you would be mildly annoyed.
I guess I'm not most English people, then. The casting of people of color as Dukes, Queen Charlotte, and other key characters didn't both me at all. What difference does it possibly make? Leaving aside any aesthetic or artistic pretensions (because, really, the show is pure hokum), I was very happy to see accomplished, British, actors who were not also white playing major characters.

This has got to be one of the most morphed threads on this forum in quite some time!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Personally I find Simon Compton to be a pretentious tw...

Oh now, don't say that. You might offend the menswear influencers and rule-makers. Don't you know there can only be one, true version of CM and that any deviation therefrom is something completely different?

there_can_be_only_one_highlander.gif

But then we can't wear suits and traditional clothes, because otherwise people will think we're racists. But wait! How does that jive with our disdain for workwear and modern clothes?

Oh, that's right - Bruce Boyer managed to write another article about how we're all officially allowed to wear jeans again, especially the democratically-cut types. Whew! That was a close one.

Panama

Reaction score
I guess I'm not most English people, then. The casting of people of color as Dukes, Queen Charlotte, and other key characters didn't both me at all. What difference does it possibly make? Leaving aside any aesthetic or artistic pretensions (because, really, the show is pure hokum), I was very happy to see accomplished, British, actors who were not also white playing major characters.

This has got to be one of the most morphed threads on this forum in quite some time!
The BB thread diverged into Wine I believe...

Panama

Reaction score
Oh now, don't say that. You might offend the menswear influencers and rule-makers. Don't you know there can only be one, true version of CM and that any deviation therefrom is something completely different?

View attachment 1566732

But then we can't wear suits and traditional clothes, because otherwise people will think we're racists. But wait! How does that jive with our disdain for workwear and modern clothes?

Oh, that's right - Bruce Boyer managed to write another article about how we're all officially allowed to wear jeans again, especially the democratically-cut types. Whew! That was a close one.
Simon Compton lost me at his distain for those who buy Goodyear welted bench shoes instead of John Lobb St James bespoke...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simon Compton lost me at his distain for those who buy Goodyear welted bench shoes instead of John Lobb St James bespoke...

He lost me when he wrote the phrase 'rather broader' on one of his post replies. I felt like swimming to England just to hit him with a grammar book.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll join dieworkwear in silence. You win by reductio ad exhaustum.

Perhaps I don't understand the point that you and @dieworkwear were trying to make.

If you're both saying that classic clothing is racist and homophobic, or that the people who wear it tend to be, or that anyone really thinks about the political connotations of their blazer, then I have two questions: 1) Why do you post on this site?, and 2) Have you ever been to anywhere outside of America?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we really want to talk turkey about discriminatory clothing, we should hang the neckties - context bedamned:

• They originated as cravats, worn by Roman soldiers and members of the upper classes.
  • As late as WW2, officers were distinguished by the use of neckties, while the enlisted men wore tunic uniforms.
  • According to Styleforum's arbiters of fashion, they can only be worn by men - or else they aren't 'classic menswear.'
  • They roughly resemble a phallic object.
  • Most men are too wimpy to wear them anyway.

So we'd probably solve two problems at once by substituting lace scarves instead. We'd rid ourselves a pesky appendage that might make people think we're classist (and heaven knows we should care an awful lot about what others may or may not think!), and we'd also be proving to the world that we're definitely, certainly not gay. Because that's really super-duper important.

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Did I say that the greater part of Gen Z dressed like that?

You're the one with the demographic hangups. What I was talking about was appreciation for CM among the younger crowd - one can appreciate something and not actually dress like it.

Most guys get into CM in their mid 20s-early 30s. Unless you have to wear a uniform to school or your father is into CM, younger folks are prob not going to have much use for it in today’s world other than for going to church/temple, weddings,etc.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we really want to talk turkey about discriminatory clothing, we should hang the neckties - context bedamned:

• They originated as cravats, worn by Roman soldiers and members of the upper classes.
  • As late as WW2, officers were distinguished by the use of neckties, while the enlisted men wore tunic uniforms.
  • According to Styleforum's arbiters of fashion, they can only be worn by men - or else they aren't 'classic menswear.'
  • They roughly resemble a phallic object.
  • Most men are too wimpy to wear them anyway.

So we'd probably solve two problems at once by substituting lace scarves instead. We'd rid ourselves a pesky appendage that might make people think we're classist (and heaven knows we should care an awful lot about what others may or may not think!), and we'd also be proving to the world that we're definitely, certainly not gay. Because that's really super-duper important.

George Warleggan, style icon.

p0692rkn.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads