• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Most people are much more predictable than they'd like to believe, and what drives them to imitate fashion choices is the same as it always has been: status, culture, and personal social identity.

You can't believe people dress based on "status, culture, and personal social identity" and also believe political connotations don't influence fashion choices.

Huh? So why is Hugo Boss still one of the leading clothing companies in the world having won the Adolf Hitler tailoring award...

Yeah because Hugo Boss is all the rage with the kids…

Panama

Reaction score
and a hood?
Detachable hood...

DSC_7944_840x.jpg

Panama

Reaction score
You can't believe people dress based on "status, culture, and personal social identity" and also believe political connotations don't influence fashion choices.

Yeah because Hugo Boss is all the rage with the kids…
****** influencers wear Boss...

20210303_190134.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth duh?
It is not a documentary.
Oh Bridgerton is a satire...
It's not a satire, either. It's a Shonda Rhimes sudsy piece of nonsense with a great set of locations, a cool wardrobe, and an impressively diverse (and ahistorical) cast. I enjoyed it as diverting entertainment. If you are complaining that it is not an accurate portrayal of Regency London society then you're completely missing the point. It's essentially Gossip Girl set in Regency London.

Panama

Reaction score
It is not a documentary.

It's not a satire, either. It's a Shonda Rhimes sudsy piece of nonsense with a great set of locations, a cool wardrobe, and an impressively diverse (and ahistorical) cast. I enjoyed it as diverting entertainment. If you are complaining that it is not an accurate portrayal of Regency London society then you're completely missing the point. It's essentially Gossip Girl set in Regency London.
I haven't heard of Gossip Girl, but I know if they did a series on the imaginery champagne playboy lifestyle of Nelson Mandela as a gigolo played by Daniel Craig there would be an uproar ...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of Gossip Girl, but I know if they did a series on the imaginery champagne playboy lifestyle of Nelson Mandela as a gigolo played by Daniel Craig there would be an uproar ...
I don't understand this comment.

Panama

Reaction score
Most English people are proud of their British history. Cue Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory. This is a horrendous caricature. Maybe if something you believed in was made a pastiche then you would be mildly annoyed.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's trying very hard not to say what all the soi-disant critics of Bridgerton think, which is that it is bad because there **************** in it, almost as if they don't actually understand what the word 'fantasy' means.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cottagecore is the only link on there that has any relevance to how young people are dressing nowadays. But the way the looks are expressed, especially for men, has nothing to do with CM. It would be more rightly considered SWD.

Really? Academia has nothing to do with the way young people dress? You have to be joking.

What I don't believe is that people other than those suffering from neurosis spend any appreciable amount of time wondering whether their blazer is going to signal the wrong political connotations to others.

Most people happily express their opinions through their actions and personality, instead of refusing to wear things for their connotations. I hear that more often from people who wish it were 1967 again and are complaining about blue jeans.

I've literally never heard of anyone equating suits and formal clothes with political leanings, not in real life. They might do that if you wear suits and are a total bastard, however.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really? Academia has nothing to do with the way young people dress? You have to be joking.

No, zoomers in general are not dressing like that article. That is a very small, niche subculture.

Anyway, I feel like we're going in circles. Will leave you be with your beliefs.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's trying very hard not to say what all the soi-disant critics of Bridgerton think, which is that it is bad because there **************** in it, almost as if they don't actually understand what the word 'fantasy' means.

I think there are some who think that way, but what bothers me personally is any amount of anachronism in plot-lines and the like. Same criticism I had for the Great Gatsby film: it would have been better as a silent feature, because the visuals were great and the music was awful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads