• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

Panama

Reaction score
And kids see that people who are racist, classist, and homophobic have traditionally worn and generally continue to wear what the laymen would identify as CM.
Huh? So why is Hugo Boss still one of the leading clothing companies in the world having won the Adolf Hitler tailoring award...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It bothers some who are interested in history.
It's almost the literal definition of a bodice-ripper. I would hope these same people also grumble about Shakespear. Do they?

Panama

Reaction score
Back to the original post:

Burberry = fashion financial success story, leveraged their heritage to appeal to a new audience. One of my non-cm gen-x friends baulks at the idea of me wearing (classic) Burberry as he thinks of it only as 'chavy'. Chav is a British, derogatory term for new moneyed, try too hard, label forward, not sophisticated.

View attachment 1566330

View attachment 1566331

...you get the idea.

Aquascutm = made me a dinner suit 20 years ago. Now seen as a second rate Burberry by the above clientele went bust in April 2020, don't know if the news reached cm graveyard?

Draw you own conclusions.

Wear what you dig.

Try to avoid terms that some people have found significantly oppressive.

I used the term 'chav' ....I'll get my coat.

View attachment 1566332
DAKS, London Tradition, Grenfell and Private White VC...

Panama

Reaction score
Derek is right. The Heritage line does differ in some details from the classic Burberry trench coat from decades ago, but modern Burberry trench coats are still Burberry trench coats. I have a coat that is now vintage, but that I bought new in the late '70s (or maybe early '80s—it was a long time ago). That coat is poly-cotton. New Burberry trenches are all-cotton, like the original all-cotton version. I'd like the trench to be a little longer, but it's still decent. And pretty damn waterproof, too. I have two of them. I actually prefer my new trench coats to my vintage one, especially for the climate in which I live (which is the climate that Burberry salespeople, back in the day, would recommend for an all-cotton coat, which recommending the poly-cotton version for the UK climate).

Burberry also makes excellent overcoats, but you have to look for them (or have your private client shopper look for you, you know how it is). I have a superb camel hair DB overcoat I bought a few years ago in London, a type I had looked for for years. I saw it in Burberry's window, and bought it the next day. I have a couple of navy overcoats, too. They are all a good length, well below the knee, and good quality fabrics. I doubt you can buy better off the rack. The same goes for women's overcoats—every now and then you see a piece that is stylish, elegant, and very high quality.

Maybe 98% of the stuff Burberry carries I wouldn't give house room to, but the assertion that kicked off this bizarre thread simply isn't true. They still make a lot of good stuff. It's just not the stuff the company tends to promote.
I am sure the overcoats from Crombie, Cordings, Gloverall, London Tradition and Private White VC et al are just as good.

Panama

Reaction score
By all accounts, Gen Z should be repudiating everything classic, because of its 'political connotations.'

Instead, we get this:

All of which are hugely popular, once you get past the streetwear crowd - proving once more that not only is Gen Z more than capable of enjoying fashion without political smearings, but that the grouchy bloggers who think classic style consists of 'What-We-Wore circa 1967' are hilariously out of touch.
Oh another unbiased and non woke Wikipedia article...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure the overcoats from Crombie, Cordings, Gloverall, London Tradition and Private White VC et al are just as good.
Crombie is a classic, although I'm not sure if they are still in business. The physical shop closed sometime last year. I have a Cording's Covert coat, the canonical covert coat and it is very good indeed. Much more of a country style, of course. I don't know anything about Gloverall, but if I were in the market for a classic duffle coat I would start there. Never heard of London Tradition. I'm a fan of PWVC, but I don't think their products are of a similar type to the products I was referring to from Burberry. But if your point is that there are quite a number of quality, ready-to-wear, UK overcoat makers still in business, I would not disagree.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh another unbiased and non woke Wikipedia article...

Cottagecore is the only link on there that has any relevance to how young people are dressing nowadays. But the way the looks are expressed, especially for men, has nothing to do with CM. It would be more rightly considered SWD.

Panama

Reaction score
Crombie is a classic, although I'm not sure if they are still in business. The physical shop closed sometime last year. I have a Cording's Covert coat, the canonical covert coat and it is very good indeed. Much more of a country style, of course. I don't know anything about Gloverall, but if I were in the market for a classic duffle coat I would start there. Never heard of London Tradition. I'm a fan of PWVC, but I don't think their products are of a similar type to the products I was referring to from Burberry. But if your point is that there are quite a number of quality, ready-to-wear, UK overcoat makers still in business, I would not disagree.
I didn't realise that Crombie had gone into "suspension". While not in full Arthur Daley mode, Gloverall do do some long coats. True, they are not Chesterfields or Coverts...

Shakelton_Navy_Front_840x.jpg

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Sometimes I think this is why CM is dying. The kids don't wanna be associated with classism, racism, and homophobia. I threw up a little bit in my mouth reading this thread.

Amen. As I spend $500 on a pair of Yeezys made in a sweatshop, I take comfort in knowing my money is going to the good folks at Adidas instead of racist Spanish shoemakers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads