• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

adrianvo

Reaction score
A young gay male.

The OP's comment is unnecessary, but unfortunately, the sentiment is not uncommon.

Classic menswear is great. The internet culture around it is not. Guys who talk about being advocates for classic menswear, sartorialism, and elegance are more about the internet culture, more often than not.
I have no idea what "internet culture" you mean. Care to elaborate?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, who doesn’t love a Twinkie — what’s the problem?

I'm not even sure they're a food.

Beyond that, haven't a clue. They seem to embody a sort of unobtrusive sterility, so you'd think they'd be the perfect mascot for CM.

Reaction score
Well, Burberry may've dropped in quality, but LV is offering up this monstrosity for a mere $8,100...

Attachments

• 94291606-67FE-4520-A268-E544BDDDACF1.jpeg
    94291606-67FE-4520-A268-E544BDDDACF1.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 29

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
You're assuming who's a drug dealer and who isn't. And what's considered low or high level within that space? You ain't about that life.

What's funny is how the internet got people saying things they would never dare to a real person......

I mean the dudes in Kreuzberg, Berlin who whisper “Pep” every time somebody walks by are probably drug dealers. But maybe I got it all wrong and they were just offering “pep talks.” My mistake Mr. Escobar, as you say, “I ain’t bout that life.” ?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean the dudes in Kreuzberg, Berlin who whisper “Pep” every time somebody walks by are probably drug dealers. But maybe I got it all wrong and they were just offering “pep talks.” But my mistake Mr. Escobar, as you say, “I ain’t bout that life.” ?

What a pity. Maybe those talks could have changed your life.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all the harping on gender issues let’s get back to trench coats that are nicer than Burberry. I’ve had a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece for over a decade now and love it. Super thick DB Inspector Clouseau-grade and it’s held up well.

If I ever upgrade I’d like one of these. Preferably the Al modeled after a coat worn by Camus.

I fear this post may become lost to posterity, and so I am quoting this valiant effort to revive a smidgen of reasonableness in this disaster of a thread.

The which was quite rightly squelched. We don't look favourably upon common sense round here - 'tis much too common.

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece or Black Fleece? Isn’t Black Fleece the Thom Browne line?

Reaction score
I worked at the Seattle Brooks Brothers about 12 years ago and the TB stuff flew off the shelves. Don’t recall a trench though...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece or Black Fleece? Isn’t Black Fleece the Thom Browne line?

Well, I have to confess that I am somewhat averse to experiencing a black fleece during a business transaction; but then again, Jason and his Argonauts did go a-questing for the Golden Fleece, and they weren't all the most useful fellows.

It's a tough one.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all the harping on gender issues let’s get back to trench coats that are nicer than Burberry. I’ve had a Brooks Brothers Black Fleece for over a decade now and love it. Super thick DB Inspector Clouseau-grade and it’s held up well.

If I ever upgrade I’d like one of these. Preferably the Al modeled after a coat worn by Camus.

Come on. This is an old school style SF thread. Less KOP and more snark than I've seen in a while.

This thread told me to be woke. I don't see color. It's just fleece.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on. This is an old school style SF thread. Less KOP and more snark than I've seen in a while.

This thread told me to be woke. I don't see color. It's just fleece.

That's because you're just unaware of your privileged position, never having known the lived experience of a fleece. You bigot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads