• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I think one element of style that I have not touched upon, but which is important to me: dressing well is in some sense about "honour" in the social sense. Looking good raises one's social standing in the eyes of others. This is important for gaining a degree of social capital, of being able to present oneself as "someone".

I dress with an aim for people to think, "Oh, this guy isn't a schlub. This guy is something more than that."

As irrational as it might be, an important part of rhetoric is not just logos, but ethos, and one's appearance factors into ethos as an element of that persuasion. It is important, because people judge people in part on appearances, and it eases the social interactions I wish to have.

Example: In my academic position, I dress with a certain seriousness and style that speaks to being professorial. I want to "look" the part, so people take me seriously, and my students even get a sense of "oh, this is serious, he doesn't look like an idiot."

Every man should remember that he is the purest form of propaganda to those around him.

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
wait a minute, soccer hooligans wore Fanny packs?

Probably. The fanny pack/ shoulder bag look is very popular with the Supreme crowd who seem determined to dress like low level drug dealers in Europe.

1614729006248.png

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If people are worried about looking unmanly, just draw penises all over yourself. The penis is a centuries-old symbol of masculinity.

You jest, but this was actually a common motif in many ancient cultures.

From the Isle of Delos on the Aegean:

depositphotos_43850207-stock-photo-penis-phallus-statue-in-delosgreece.jpg

penis-phallus-stone-statue-delos-greece-headless-dionyis-s-island-39162126.jpg

They were associated with Hermes and other gods, and both warded off evil and were a sign of good fortune.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that fashion designers are intentionally trying to eradicate the distinction between masculine and feminine, or that viewers are more open-minded?

Your avatar is not very masculine, by the way.
You're not sure what I'm saying because you don't know what the term means.
I am saying that identity politics have made a large portion of the (mainly western) population "woke", including fashion designers. Political agenda or not, even the "useless idiots" help push this.
I suggest reading up on it, a little knowledge won't hurt even one as firm on the NPD spectrum as yourself.

I'm fairly sure you're no authority on masculinity. If that was an attempt at an insult, feel free to try again.
Also, I'm fairly confident to claim that a guy with a cartoon avatar is not exactly radiating peak masculinity.

I think that’s a bit over the top. Not everything and everyone is imbued with some political agenda.

Fashion represents society as a whole. Perhaps on the runway some things are over the top but those are editorial statements and not necessarily what sells. Girls still look and dress like girls and boys are boys.

by the way, Bowie, the NewYork Dolls, and countless other artists nearly 50 years ago were doing the whole androgyny thing in their dress so it’s not exactly some new political new political movements.

And the Scots have been wearing skirts for centuries! :hide:
That's your opinion.
However, identity politics is having a huge impact on many industries and people, including the fashion industry.

Also, let's not compare super star celebrities with average joe. You have to be rich and famous to pull off certain looks like bowie's to not look like an idiot, regardless of whether you find it tasteful or not.
JHC who hurt you? It kinda seems like you're mad about something else, probably along the lines of how it's no longer okay to act like Don Draper on his worst day, and decided to shove words into people's mouths so that you and Rocinante can go for a ride. Spoiler: The fashion industry doesn't give a **** about how woke or anti-woke you are. It just wants to burn up material resources and Third World populations in its insatiable quest for more money. If some SJW wants clothes, so be it; they'll sell them something expensive, androgynous, and Made in Bangladesh. Your problem isn't that the fashion industry disagrees with you politically. Your problem is that some woke asshole has more disposable money than you do. See above.
Why do you assume I have to be hurt to have a different opinion than you? That's a pretty sad way to promote your argument.

I understand that you think Don Draper is masculine, then, and naturally - since I like masculine style I must want to be Don Draper. Good to know! Glad we're back to elementary school-level debating here.

To answer the only phrase you wrote that was worth replying to:
Wrong. A lot of people, especially in creative fields like to push their political beliefs on other people. Just look at painters and musicians. This also includes a lot of fashion designers.

If you guys don't think the feminization of men's style is political, you are incredibly naïve.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
So, will we at any point figure out what Kirby Allison's business model is?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're not sure what I'm saying because you don't know what the term means.
I am saying that identity politics have made a large portion of the (mainly western) population "woke", including fashion designers. Political agenda or not, even the "useless idiots" help push this.
I suggest reading up on it, a little knowledge won't hurt even one as firm on the NPD spectrum as yourself.

I'm fairly sure you're no authority on masculinity. If that was an attempt at an insult, feel free to try again.
Also, I'm fairly confident to claim that a guy with a cartoon avatar is not exactly radiating peak masculinity.

I didn't mean it as an insult, just a point of fact. The way you dress is very internet dandy. The foulard with the Pitti Uomo jacketing, the mixing of four patterns, and the collar pin. It's not a very masculine look.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, will we at any point figure out what Kirby Allison's business model is?

Selling overpriced collar stays to his faithful horde of little snobs. And business, as they say, is booming.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I'm confused about whether I dress in a sufficiently masculine manner, I force my hapless butler to dress as a mermaid - complete with conch shells over the unmentionables.

It doesn't ever answer my question, but the whole thing is so amusing that I usually forget why I had him do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads