• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

TheIronDandy

Reaction score

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Well go to someone else, Aquascutum, DAKS etc ...
Yeah, Aquascutum seems to make a solid but dull trench. I like older Burberry models, which are easily found on eBay for $200-500 depending on condition. Timeless!

DrapeCut

Reaction score
The homophobia really added that extra something to this rant, apparently from someone who has been living under a rock for the entirety of this century and possibly longer.

Like it or not, Burberry would now be long gone if this reinvention hadn't happened - because few people wanted what it was selling, however high the quality.
I was trying to be tongue and cheek, not homophobic, but the label couldn't be more accurate. High fashion 'men's' clothes are now often androgynous looking. And, yes, I understand the economic necessity for moving in this direction.

DrapeCut

Reaction score
I think you're searching for something offensive or to be offended by.
It's not homophobia to state the fact that vulgar and/or feminine clothes have distorted the menswear industry. Also, the models on the runway are feminine, thin and androgynous in appearance. This is the main reason many of us on this forum buy from specialty stores and tailors.

If there was any "phobia" to point out in the fashion industry it would be masculinity-phobia.
Thank you, sir! Absolutely. I'm not even a rugged, uber masculine type, but can't wear this **** lol.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to be tongue and cheek, not homophobic, but the label couldn't be more accurate. High fashion 'men's' clothes are now often androgynous looking. And, yes, I understand the economic necessity for moving in this direction.

I'd also say that everyone understood that what you were getting at was the effete nonsense that passes as fashion in many venerable brands nowadays.

It might be impolite nowadays, but let's be real: no man wants to dress like a sissy.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
It might be impolite nowadays, but let's be real: no man wants to dress like a sissy.

Apparently, a lot of them do. Happily, we can vote with our wallets against the trend.

DrapeCut

Reaction score
I'd also say that everyone understood that what you were getting at was the effete nonsense that passes as fashion in many venerable brands nowadays.

For sure! I'd even go one step further and say that most men would do better to avoid many of the accessories that #menswear encouraged. It takes a certain level of of effortless cool in order to pull off pocket squares, collar pins, boutonnieres etc. without looking like an affected jackass. Guys would do better to nail the basics starting with perfecting fit. Get a luxurious tie, good shoes, and an heirloom-grade wristwatch. Save the foppish **** for movies and tv. Everyday style isn't about emulating Jay Gatsby or adhering to a list of antiquated rules on menswear etiquette, which is what some YouTube 'gurus' would seemingly have you think...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't you own green oxfords? How is that masculine? Not that I care if people dress masculine or not, but this seems at odds with your dressing practices.

For sure! I'd even go one step further and say that most men would do better to avoid many of the accessories that #menswear encouraged. It takes a certain level of of effortless cool in order to pull off pocket squares, collar pins, boutonnieres etc. without looking like an affected jackass. Guys would do better to nail the basics starting with perfecting fit. Get a luxurious tie, good shoes, and an heirloom-grade wristwatch. Save the foppish **** for movies and tv. Everyday style isn't about emulating Jay Gatsby or adhering to a list of antiquated rules on menswear etiquette, which is what some YouTube 'gurus' would seemingly have you think...

This is a really ahistorical view, as expressions of masculinity are 1) complex and 2) change over time. The Duke of Windsor was a colorful dresser and, while foppish, still considered masculine in his day. Pre-Oscar Wilde, many men dressed colorfully and were considered masculine (e.g. d’Orsay, Disraeli, and Balzac). This intersection between masculinity and dress, as you've expressed it, mainly came to the fore after the trial of Oscar Wilde, where any deviation from a narrow way of dressing was then associated with homosexuality. And, at the time and still to some degree today, people widely associated homosexuality with being "less than a man" or "more as a woman." And so, many gender-anxious men were afraid to deviate.

For a time pointy suede shoes were considered "unmanly." (See how many here now wear them). There were also green cravats and light blue socks. Solid red ties, like the one Trump wears, was once considered an unmanly and homosexual thing to wear in NYC.

You can wear "feminine" or "androgenous" things and somehow look even more manly because of it. Gender expression is much more complex than just piling gendered things on top of yourself. Some people are naturally very masculine looking, so wearing something slightly feminine heightens their masculine look, just as some very feminine people look more feminine by wearing masculine things.

Anyway, I can't imagine someone in 2021 is worried about a "man purse." That seems so weird to me.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently, a lot of them do. Happily, we can vote with our wallets against the trend.

I appreciate that this came from a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 12.01.57 PM.png

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Don't you own green oxfords? How is that masculine? Not that I care if people dress masculine or not, but this seems at odds with your dressing practices.

This is a really ahistorical view, as expressions of masculinity are 1) complex and 2) change over time. The Duke of Windsor was a colorful dresser and, while foppish, still considered masculine in his day. Pre-Oscar Wilde, many men dressed colorfully and were considered masculine. This intersection between masculinity and dress, as you've expressed it, mainly came to the fore after the trial of Oscar Wilde, where any deviation from a narrow way of dressing was then associated with homosexuality. And, at the time and still to some degree today, people widely associated homosexuality with being "less than a man" or "more as a woman." And so, many gender-anxious men were afraid to deviate.

For a time pointy suede shoes were considered "unmanly." (See how many here now wear them). There were also green cravats and light blue socks.

You can wear "feminine" or "androgenous" things and somehow look even more manly because of it. Gender expression is much more complex than just piling gendered things on top of yourself. Some people are naturally very masculine looking, so wearing something slightly feminine heightens their masculine look, just as some very feminine people look more feminine by wearing masculine things.

Anyway, I can't imagine someone in 2021 is worried about a "man purse." That seems so weird to me.
Interesting read, but I'm not sure how useful this academic understanding of gender norms and clothing is. Most guys want to feel good in what they're wearing and to be taken seriously in a business setting [when at work]. I don't care what Oscar Wilde or Edward wore. This isn't the 19th century or 1930s.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting read, but I'm not sure how useful this academic understanding of gender norms and clothing is. Most guys want to feel good in what they're wearing and to be taken seriously in a business setting [when at work]. I don't care what Oscar Wilde or Edward wore. This isn't the 19th century or 1930s.

I have some clothes that are traditionally masculine, and some clothes that lean "androgynous." I haven't had a problem in my career and I work in a pretty conservative environment.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't even have to go that far back to find examples of previously "unmanly" things now becoming the norm. Twenty years ago, slim fit clothes and tailoring -- including things widely worn on this board -- were considered metrosexual, which is to say "unmanly." The silhouettes at many of the more affordable clothing suppliers today (again, without naming names, but it includes many of the ones on this board) would have been considered "gay." Lots of affordable tailoring is slim-fit-ish because it has to appeal to a wider market, and mass taste generally lags behind cutting-edge trends.

Now that everyone is wearing that kind of slim-fit tailoring, the pendulum is swinging the other way. A lot of what's considered "androgenous" clothing today is just stuff that's fashionable or influenced by womenswear, so you have silhouettes such a wider pants worn with a topcoat. That's not to say that all wide pants are considered feminine or "sissy," as you put it. But it's very clear even to casual observers when a man is dressed in a more fashion-forward way.

Give it ten years, and you will see the same conversion. The same type of person who twenty years ago wouldn't get into slim fits because it was "gay" or "metrosexual" will later convert to wider silhouettes. It's has little to do with gender aesthetics and more to do with men's anxiety with having an interest in clothes, as fashion is a gendered area of interest.

There are such things as feminine and masculine looks, and I think it's fine if someone wants to dress in a more masculine way. My taste in tailored clothing leans very masculine. I dislike slim-fit suits and clean tailoring. I really dislike non-conservative dress shoes. But when people bring this stuff up, it's often not because they have a particularly strong view on gender aesthetics. It's that they're just new to clothes and they're thus unsure of their own taste and habits. Rather than develop a sense of taste, they use concepts like "classicness," "quality," and "gender" as a crutch. Such and such thing is OK to wear because it's masculine, classic, and high quality. This seems like such a sad way of dressing -- almost dressing in a way to avoid ridicule, rather than dressing for joy (or having a strong personal view of aesthetics). It's like a deep desire to not stand out in any way or make the "wrong" choices, lest one be bullied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads