• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

DrapeCut

Reaction score
Popped into a Burberry boutique a few days ago and was absolutely disgusted. What used to be a high quality maker of rain wear is now a pump and dump wannabe high fashion house. These people are shameless and will try to sell you anything stamped with a check pattern.

My dad had a traditional trench from the late 80s that was really high quality and meant to last forever. Nice thick gabardine, removable wool lining w/collar cover, leather-covered buckles, horn buttons, and a long length. Modern trenches are papery thin trash with no removable linings and are cut to fit little twinks who wear nothing but thin logo tees underneath lol.

The brand that made trenches for WW1 infantry officers now makes man purses and fanny packs. Nice.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aquascutum, there's a name from the past. They used to make really nice stuff back in the '80s.

I have an old trench from them that's been missing it's belt for decades. I retain it with an everlasting fervour.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The homophobia really added that extra something to this rant, apparently from someone who has been living under a rock for the entirety of this century and possibly longer.

Like it or not, Burberry would now be long gone if this reinvention hadn't happened - because few people wanted what it was selling, however high the quality.

adrianvo

Reaction score
The homophobia really added that extra something to this rant, apparently from someone who has been living under a rock for the entirety of this century and possibly longer.

Like it or not, Burberry would now be long gone if this reinvention hadn't happened - because few people wanted what it was selling, however high the quality.
I think you're searching for something offensive or to be offended by.
It's not homophobia to state the fact that vulgar and/or feminine clothes have distorted the menswear industry. Also, the models on the runway are feminine, thin and androgynous in appearance. This is the main reason many of us on this forum buy from specialty stores and tailors.

If there was any "phobia" to point out in the fashion industry it would be masculinity-phobia.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're searching for something offensive or to be offended by.
It's not homophobia to state the fact that vulgar and/or feminine clothes have distorted the menswear industry. Also, the models on the runway are feminine, thin and androgynous in appearance. This is the main reason many of us on this forum buy from specialty stores and tailors.

If there was any "phobia" to point out in the fashion industry it would be masculinity-phobia.

I think the term “twink” is what was being alluded to. The overall point probably could have been made without reference to ones sexual orientation. It’s not as though this is the first time someone has gone on a rant about Burberry. Makes me wonder why he even wandered into the boutique, assuming he even did so.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Popped into a Burberry boutique a few days ago and was absolutely disgusted. What used to be a high quality maker of rain wear is now a pump and dump wannabe high fashion house. These people are shameless and will try to sell you anything stamped with a check pattern.

My dad had a traditional trench from the late 80s that was really high quality and meant to last forever. Nice thick gabardine, removable wool lining w/collar cover, leather-covered buckles, horn buttons, and a long length. Modern trenches are papery thin trash with no removable linings and are cut to fit little twinks who wear nothing but thin logo tees underneath lol.

The brand that made trenches for WW1 infantry officers now makes man purses and fanny packs. Nice.
Young men nowadays have much lower testosterone levels than young men in the past. Firms are changing their offerings to reflect that.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
what about the rest of us still dripping with testosterone and who cannot contain our manliness? Where are we to go now that Brooks Brothers is off the list?
I suggest not trying to contain it. Crotchless trousers.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like this stud muffin?

1614690523260.jpeg

a more recent example:

1614690614308.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads