• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: B&S culture has gone to hell

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago, before the migration to the new forum platform, I regularly purchased and sold items on B&S. I always found the sellers to be fair, courteous, and prompt, and generally speaking, the buyers were respectful and appreciative. With that in mind, I recently returned to list a variety of relatively high quality items as I prepare to move.

Though it's certainly nice to make some cash, any seller knows that the photographing, measuring, answering questions, and shipping process is extremely time consuming--especially for international shipments. I also attempted to list my items at very fair prices compared to B&S averages. For example, Incotex cotton pants new used to go for $60-75, so my gently used price is $30-45. I think this is especially generous given that the Daffy's outlet has since completely dried up, and that was the main reason prices got as low as they did. I used a similar pricing rationale for items of all kinds.

Thus, my main motivation is to offer some great staple items at affordable prices for those looking to augment their closets. I took excellent care of all my clothes, and they have a lot of life left in them. It'd be a shame for a carefully curated business wardrobe to end up on the rack at Goodwill.

Though I've encountered courteous buyers in the past couple of weeks, I am dismayed to observe an extreme spike in the number of brazen, rude, and inconsiderate members. It's now perfectly typical to receive an initial message asking for additional measurements and photos, followed by "I'll definitely take this item, please send paypal info," followed by "Would you accept [<50% of asking price] oh and by the way I'm in Australia?"

As a buyer, I don't think I ever made an offer less than 10% lower than the asking price; if I thought an asking price was completely unfair, I usually didn't bother to PM the seller, let alone waste his time with numerous requests.

Now, it appears that it's perfectly normal to make boldly low offers, even if the item is a pair of $300 retail pants listed at $30 shipped. In the long term, this engenders distrust between buyer and seller; it forces sellers to artificially inflate prices in an attempt to include cushions, and forces buyers to make yet more aggressive offers to cut past these cushions. It's a vicious cycle.

At a certain point, this is where an auction style system like eBay starts to make a lot more sense.

I know, boo hoo.

I'm not sure that there's any solution to this issue, and perhaps this is not news to anyone but me, but it's bothered me enough that I thought I'd rant about it.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lol.  You guys should see some of the emails and PMs that I get, asking me to contact buyers and sellers who have not answered their PMs.  So, you think that you've got problems...

I give you a lot of ****, and lot of it is merited (IMO), but I honestly cannot fathom all the truly absurd **** you have to deal with being this site's big boss. Anyway, I mean that as a compliment.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lol.  You guys should see some of the emails and PMs that I get, asking me to contact buyers and sellers who have not answered their PMs.  So, you think that you've got problems...

Jesus . . .

And to the OP, even though I have never sold anything on here, I can totally see how frustrating and insulting such experiences can be. I wouldn't have the patience nor the kindheartedness to treat these people who you are referring to with anything but explicit hatred and scorn.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons while an auction system like ebay makes no sense for SF. Effectively what we have now is like ebay's BINOBO (Buy It Now or Best Offer).

I sympathize with the OP to some extent, however I have observed that on the average SF buyer is more knowledgeable and less of a cheapskate than what I encounter on ebay or even on AAAC.

The single most irritating thing I encounter (infrequently) on SF is people requesting stupid measurements. I recently had a guy ask for these two measurements on a shirt:
1. Distance from top of shoulder seam to end of cuff.
2. Distance from armpit (bottom of shoulder seam) to end of cuff.

The second, and most common, irritation for me is a prospective buyer asking questions and then disappearing. If you don't want the item that is no problem, but when a seller takes the time to answer your special questions you owe them the courtesy of a response.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Send the items to Spoo/LuxeSwap.....let him deal with that madness.....
:teach:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads