• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranking Entry Level (Good Quality) Men's Dress Shoe Options

Potatoe

Reaction score
Thursday Boot is almost the standard now for entry-level boots, but it's worth noting that they carry oxfords and derbies. No experience with them, personally.

Thursday boots are fantastic at their price point. $200 for firsts and $150 for seconds.

The boots look good and are very comfortable. I have a pair going on 3 years and I wear them often.

On a side note, I do wonder what the point of GYW shoes are at this price point. I don't think it makes any sense to re-sole an entry level shoe. Blake stitched basically look the same and can often be lighter and more comfortable.

recycledshaggydog

Reaction score
Morjas from Sweden has attractive price and their sizing system is pretty easy to understand.
I didn't own any shoes from them but they look pretty stylish and inexpensive.
https://www.morjas.com/shop/shoes/the-oxford/

Yes they look nice on screen and the first impression is also pretty good. But after some wearing they show their real face. More a marketing gamble than a artisan-made leather shoe.
I have attached a photo from another intrigued gentleman from styleforum who has worn his Morjas penny loafers ~15-20 timers and they look absolutely terrible....

Attachments

• morneins.jpg
    morneins.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 951

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they look nice on screen and the first impression is also pretty good. But after some wearing they show their real face. More a marketing gamble than a artisan-made leather shoe.
I have attached a photo from another intrigued gentleman from styleforum who has worn his Morjas penny loafers ~15-20 timers and they look absolutely terrible....

Corrected grain. :(

Louis_HK

Reaction score
These days, even Church’s are like these, I got a pair of Tunbridge loafer , looking exactly the same after 10+ wears.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
Relative newcomer here, i will certainly always appreciate AE for being the first quality shoes I experienced, I think the points on seeing in person & most importantly the feel & fit cant be understated. I think personal style is important too, I really prefer my English or Italian, Spanish made shoes with a more bevelled waist & toe shaping but my feet seem to really like those style of last more. I do enjoy my royal imperial brogues a lot tho & those & my AE’s are great when I got to do a quite a bit of walking.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Comparing (and ranking) shoes and analyzing all its features/aspects is more for shoe aficionados imo. Starters won't care because honestly, if I'm a starter I would not know what the difference is between a goodyear and blake, I would not know what type of leather and how rare it is, I would not know what lining it is and what options there are available and therefore I would not even ask the salesperson these details.

If I get my first job, and I need a pair of formal shoes, I just want it be versatile, long-lasting and good looking, all fitting in a certain budget. I don't need all the premium stuff on why my shoes are "better" than others, I just want some "good" shoes, so with the "no need for best, good is enough" mentality, I think any starter brand mentioned are okay. Which means I support some comments above: fit should be great, should be reputable brand and customer service should be nice. These matters much more for a starter in shoe brands than relative shoe construction vs other brands.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
this is from a rather inexperienced perspective so correct me if I’m wrong but I suppose I would organise it like this, also not talking about boots, just oxfords, derby's, monk straps & loafers in the $300-400 range -
Allen Edmonds ~ especially for size/width considerations, certainly capable of making svelte shoes, but I find them a bit wider, more grab & go for commuting all day to me.
Cobbler’s Union: More stylistic, a bit nicer finishing (to my eye, haven’t seen in person), interesting colours, nice last.
J. Fitzpatrick: the shoe snob blog might be the first place I’d send a friend if they were interested in the artistry of shoemaking, but regardless these shoes are very interesting & but they are only in NY if wanting to take a trip to the store.
The rest of my picks are mostly online & I might be hesitant to order them off the bat as a beginner but returns/exchanges are relatively easy just time consuming.​
CNES: these shoes look great online, definitely want a pair.
Meermin & Carmina: I would probably skip Meermin & go for Carmina if I could spring for them, as they are a great intro into the finer details of shoemaking to my eyes.
Ace Marks: Italian styling that I really enjoy & full grain leather quality that looks pretty good to me.
Carlos Santos: Probably my favourite shoes at this time, only one pair so far but I’d be happy to upscale to their hand-grade line.
Grenson: I think a English made shoe is just a great addition to any wardrobe & in this price range, I think Grenson is really the only option outside of a sale, elegant & sturdy, my wardrobe mostly consist of English-Made shoes & I enjoy them greatly.
Septieme Largeur: quite an unknown for me, but the website photos & video reviews I’ve seen look quite nice, French styling is unique & I absolutely love Corthay so these are on my radar not as a cheaper alternative but as their own shoes & style.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is from a rather inexperienced perspective so correct me if I’m wrong but I suppose I would organise it like this, also not talking about boots, just oxfords, derby's, monk straps & loafers in the $300-400 range -
Allen Edmonds ~ especially for size/width considerations, certainly capable of making svelte shoes, but I find them a bit wider, more grab & go for commuting all day to me.
Cobbler’s Union: More stylistic, a bit nicer finishing (to my eye, haven’t seen in person), interesting colours, nice last.
J. Fitzpatrick: the shoe snob blog might be the first place I’d send a friend if they were interested in the artistry of shoemaking, but regardless these shoes are very interesting & but they are only in NY if wanting to take a trip to the store.
The rest of my picks are mostly online & I might be hesitant to order them off the bat as a beginner but returns/exchanges are relatively easy just time consuming.​
Meermin & Carmina: I would probably skip Meermin & go for Carmina if I could spring for them, as they are a great intro into the finer details of shoemaking to my eyes.
Ace Marks: Italian styling that I really enjoy & full grain leather quality that looks pretty good to me.
Carlos Santos: Probably my favourite shoes at this time, only one pair so far but I’d be happy to upscale to their hand-grade line.
Grenson: I think a English made shoe is just a great addition to any wardrobe & in this price range, I think Grenson is really the only option outside of a sale, elegant & sturdy, my wardrobe mostly consist of English-Made shoes & I enjoy them greatly.
I like Grenson's aesthetic but I have heard their quality has declined in recent years. It may be they are indeed the only option left within the price range though, which is telling.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
I like Grenson's aesthetic but I have heard their quality has declined in recent years. It may be they are indeed the only option left within the price range though, which is telling.
I agree, in the new shoe market the choices are pretty limited sub-$300 could really only find Meermin & J. Fitzpatrick sans sales myself when I was just getting into the market for budget friendly shoes about a year or so ago. Things really open up in the $3-600 range but that’s a lot to convince a person who’s just getting started but I think the ROI is also a bit better if newcomers can swing the prices.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Septieme Largeur: quite an unknown for me, but the website photos & video reviews I’ve seen look quite nice, French styling is unique & I absolutely love Corthay so these are on my radar not as a cheaper alternative but as their own shoes & style.

cnes is phenomenal.

dapperdesertdweller

Reaction score
@JFWR The models they made with Parisian Gentleman look just spectacular to me! I probably shouldn’t buy a new pair as my shoe rack is full at the moment but I think these warrant an exception to my one in, one out rule haha

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR The models they made with Parisian Gentleman look just spectacular to me! I probably shouldn’t buy a new pair as my shoe rack is full at the moment but I think these warrant an exception to my one in, one out rule haha

I've got a mto spectator from them. Lovely shoes at a super affordable price.

stylenwby

Reaction score
The only problem with English brands is the shipping/sizing issue for Americans. Unless you're lucky enough to live in NY and you can go get sized at Crockett and Jones, I usually don't recommend the English makers as they are basically non-existent in terms of trying on.

Thursday and Grant Stones are pretty good value for the money and I have a pair of each. They are excellent as entry level. But if you can get sized properly and or visit NYC, there is no comparison to a Joseph Cheaney or Trickers boot/shoes on sale. The feel and comfort of the English leather is so much better that I would recommend that it's worth the additional hassle on fitting IMHO.

Thursday vanguard
20230630_073700.jpg

Grant Stone Brass
IMG_20230517_195422.jpg

Joseph Cheaney Horsforth
20230708_153311.jpg

Trickers Grassmere
20230717_172257.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaney are an excellent choice on sale. But, you must make sure the lasts work for your feet. They often have a very high instep and generous room at the waist. I also like how British shoes like Cheaney and C&J have really nice lining. Honestly, Cheaney are not far behind Alden in terms of construction and the QC is about the same. I actually have another Cheaney shoe on my list, but it's not an urgent buy at the moment.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaney boots are fascinating to me. No experience yet, but it's on the list. Lately I've had good experiences with Tricker's, which I say are quite a bargain at $300 or less on outlet. Sadly their prices just skyrocketed for the US market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads