• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank These Vietnam War Movies

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

Apocalypse Now
Deer Hunter, The
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Go.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lulz, the link in your sig quote still goes back to Pio.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
That's one less birthday party invitation I'll have to mail.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Give "˜The Siege of Firebase Gloria' a go. One of Brian Trenchard-Smith's best.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's like ranking magic vs bird. you can't go wrong with any of 'em.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

Apocalypse Now
Deer Hunter, The
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Go.

you got the order right.

but what about Hamburger Hill

alexanduh

Reaction score
no good morning vietnam? lol

i reckon apocalypse now was pretty epic

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On what basis are we to rank these films? Entertainment factor? Realism? Best action sequences? Most anti-war message?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where was Tropic Thunder set?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apocalypse Now
Deer Hunter, The
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Go.

It's hard because beyond the most obvious common themes, they are very different films.

The Deer Hunter has more of a what happens to relationships back home feel. I didn't really see it as much of a war movie at all.

Platoon has a good vs. bad theme going on where characters like Sheen's and Defoe are just categorically good guys and Berenger, Dillon, and a few others (Red? - the gay cop from Wild Hogs) are just categorically bad ass. In other words, its the characters who are divided collectively between themselves.

Full Metal jacket, on the other hand, is just the oppositte where, and I'm taking this from how one analyst analyses the film (I'm paraphrasing here since I don't remeber what he says all too well), you have a character like Modine's who personifies a sort of self-division ("born to kill" on the helmet, and then a peace sign on the other side of the same helmet) - he's like Platoon's Defoe character and Berenger all wrapped into the same guy. And, he, the analyst, seems to say, this self-division is the perfect personification of how the very military infrastructure is itself divided: the military wants their soldiers to be obedient and the ultimate badasses and yet they want them to be compassionate and disobedient if the situation demands. They want their soldiers to dehumanize the enemy to make them more effective and less psychologically traumatized fighters and yet they want them to know when to have a conscience. Modine, in his self-division is the perfect soldier: he identifies with brutal military rhetoric but doesn't in the end take it too literally.

Apocalypse Now - it's been such a while since I've seen it I don't even remember anything much.

But Platoon wins hands down for the sheer bulk of actors who went on to become the most succesfull.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apocalypse Now
Deer Hunter, The
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Go.

Apocalypse Now
FMJ
Platoon

The Deerhunter (self indulgent and pretty vapid, frankly)

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) First half hour of FMJ
2) Apoc
3) Deerhunter
4) Rest of FMJ
5) Platoon

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think the last half of FMJ is much better. I've always felt the first half was an unnecessarily heavy handed depiction of a desensitizing phenomenon that didn't need to be sensationalized. I think the general atmospheric aspect of the second half is more powerful.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. FMJ
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Platoon
4. Deerhunter.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.) Apocalypse Now!
2.) The Deer Hunter
3.) Full Metal Jacket

4.) Platoon

First three are among the all-time outstanding movies all categories. Internal order can easily be turned upside down. Platoon is good but not up to that level.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka