1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rank these designer brands polo shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ryback, Oct 2, 2012.

1. chet31

chet31 Senior member

^ Checked out the Poppled Colours, am I seeing things wrong, or do they just have navy and white shirts available?

2. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

Great topic guys. We, at Vastrm, just joined this great community as an affiliate member. We currently offer a luxury line of polos that offer a unique twist to how these shirts are typically purchased. First, we allow our customers to custom style their shirts with a variety of trim types, placket accents, collar constructions, pocket configurations, etc... Secondly, we can custom size our shirts by trimming or tapering the waist, adding to sleeve length or lengthening/shortening the bottom hem. We have several fit types to choose from as well. We recently had a black friday black polo special that allowed folks to try any of our black fabrics for a pretty hefty discount. See ad below:

And our first response from a fellow SF member in Australia: http://www.styleforum.net/t/323503/vastrm-fashion-official-affiliate-thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our shirt come logo-less!

And as for wear and tear: Take a look at a test we ran washing your average off the rack polo knit against one of ours! It resisted shrinking, fading, pilling and curling after 20 industrial strength washes.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, here are my comments and rankings for the polo's you mentioned above:

1. Ralph Lauren - their RL custom cut is a great trim fit, but front length is a bit long for many body types.
    2. Fred Perry - great democratic fit here. Solid cut, design and fabrics
    3. Burberry - agreed that I don't like nova check on every single placket. But must own at least one.
    4. Lacoste - Pretty standard fare here. Plackets are wide not too stylish, but fabric is great!

5. Penguin - This is one logo I don't mind wearing for some reason. Trim fits are great and their styles are quite unique in their retro way.
    6. Brooks Brother - Great fabrics, timeless cuts.
    7. Nautica - I liked them better when David Chu was around :)
    8. Abercrombie and Fitch - Great for the younger crowd and if you want something sporty

9. Boss - Have friends that swear by this brand. I'll have to check them out again.
    10. Tommy Hilfiger - meh
    11.Canterbury - have not seen their wares yet.

Hope to be spending more time learning about all of you! Also, would love to do a special design, limited run SF polo for community members. Let me know if this is something that might interest you and we can start a collaboration process!

Bests,
    Jonathan

3. BigWill

BigWill Member

What brand is this green polo shirt shown here?

[​IMG]

4. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

Hard to tell what the brand is. Can you make out what the "x" is comprised of? Is it just an X or is two muskets (something like that)? The cut and design looks similar to a Ralph Lauren Custom (Slim fit). With a short 2 button placket that looks to be around 2" in width. Flat knit collar and flat knit cuff hems.

5. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

The majority of RL polo collars are flat knit construction. Flat knit tends to curl at the tips and possibly crease and wrinkle depending on the thickness. I would wash cold water and dry low tumble, remove while slightly damp and run a warm iron over it. Washing really destroys cotton garments, unfortunately. hope that helps. Ping me if you want to chat more about this.

6. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

Hard to tell what the brand is. Can you make out what the "x" is comprised of? Is it just an X or is two muskets (something like that)? The cut and design looks similar to a Ralph Lauren Custom (Slim fit). With a short 2 button placket that looks to be around 2" in width. Flat knit collar and flat knit cuff hems.

7. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

Hey Tomee,
    Yeah, you hit it on the nail. The likelihood is that the two shirts were made in different factories and the fabrics were sourced from two different dye runs. There is a general lack of consistency of sizing between brands, within brands and even within same factory lines. Unfortunately, sizing is not an exact science, although, it should be. This is probably the cause of the most friction in our industry. Sizing is all over the place! It makes it difficult for any of us to find clothes that fit off the rack.

8. BigWill

BigWill Member

I don't know what the emblem/logo is; I can't really tell.

That's actually Anderson Cooper wearing the shirt. I thought it might just be a designer label or brand I'm not familiar with.

But thanks for looking at it.

9. junko

junko Member

When I think of polo shirts I think of Lacoste, nuff said.

10. carlos20co

carlos20co Well-Known Member

I have 3 polos from Lacoste and one of them stretched the first time it was washed, it didn't stretch too much, but I can feel the difference when I wear it; the other 2 have had no problem so far. I wear them on weekends only.

11. GAMMOCHO

GAMMOCHO Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread where I can get some information on brands that sell high quality blank polo shirts? Something a bit softer than Lacoste but not as soft as a True Religion polo.

12. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

My favorite polos are by Sunspel. I also have quite a few Lacoste polos, which I've found to be satisfactorily durable.

Before the line was discontinued, I was a fan of Ralph Lauren Rugby polos. Does anyone know if any of the other Ralph Lauren lines produce a polo in a similar cut/fit?

13. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

With our new fit ID feature online, we can custom size any of our our designs to match the perfect fit you are looking for. If you still have one of your rugby polos on hand, there are several measuring points we would need, but could probably replicate the same fit and size but only different fabrics and designs. You can email me here jtang@vastrm.com or go to our website and check out the size adjustment tool we have.

[​IMG]

14. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

In most cases knit cottons will lose shape after several washes or even just one wash. It depends if the yarn was pre-shrunk. You will likely see most cotton knit garments become to boxy. read the front length will shrink 1" - 2" and the the width will stretch wider. We purchase almost all of our fabric that have been yarn treated to avoid shrinking and fading. These processes add costs to our manufacturing process but the quality of the garment remains high wash after wash. In general, if you wash cold water gentle and either line dry or delicate cycle dry with low heat you can avoid some shrinking and widening. Or of course, you can opt to dry clean, but that gets expensive. Hope this helps! Vastrm.com

15. laurencubed

laurencubed Member

Vastrm sells logo-less polos (http://www.styleforum.net/t/323503/vastrm-fashion-official-affiliate-thread). Because of the customization you have an option of the fabric, which can help you make sure you are getting exactly what you want. Plus you can customize the entire shirt.

16. GAMMOCHO

GAMMOCHO Member

Thanks, I have spoken to jtang108 about the shirts and to be honest, to start, I want to sell my shirts (I have a brand I am starting) at a moderate price since they will be part of a collection (there will be custom pieces sold at a higher price) and if I buy a full run at your listed price, I may not be able to do so, either that or I'd have to take a substantial loss.

I really appreciate the help but as of right now, I am small time and shopping around.

1 person likes this.
  17. Neesan

Neesan New Member

The point of durability is good one.

I bought a few Country Road Polos (Australian Retailer) a while ago just to wear around the house and tooling around with cars etc.

All of them have significant fading and structural issues.

Not bad for $50AUD each, yet you would expect(Hope ;)) they would have lasted more than just a couple months.

18. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

Of what I own I would personally rank them in the following order:

1. Fred Perry - Best design with tipping, heritage and more expensive versions Made in England.

2.Hugo Boss Orange - Excellent construction, placket and collar. Negative, branding on chest although relatively discreet.

3.Tommy Hilfiger - See Hugo Boss Orange above. Negative can be the slightly more traditional, looser fit. Discreet branding on sleeve can be a positive.

4. Lacoste - Their trademark L.12.12 shirt is too thin despite looking smart and having good dimensions as above shirts.

5. Ralph Lauren - The worst of the selection, don't like wider placket, the slimmer collars or the stupid long back hems especially the custom. Also, wearing them makes you look slightly North American which isn't necessarily desirable. Colour combinations is also not to my liking.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014