• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm going to but a lacoste polo today.

Can anyone please tell me if lacoste polos stretch a lot after a year?
I don't want to spend this kind of money in something that will stretch 2 and a half sizes bigger!

Thanks

ap10046

Reaction score
Mine actually shrank a bit..in length and width.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So would you recommend I buy a size larger?

Or was the shrink not that significant?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about Old Navy.

ap10046

Reaction score
I would say, keep to your usual size.
Just a side note, their "flag" polos..the ones with the crocodiles in different flags, run significantly smaller and much slimmer than their regular polos.
For example, I wear a Large in the regular polo, but have to wear an XL or larger in the flag croc polo.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to but a lacoste polo today.
Can anyone please tell me if lacoste polos stretch a lot after a year?
I don't want to spend this kind of money in something that will stretch 2 and a half sizes bigger!
Thanks

"this" kind of money? How much are you paying?

Anyways - just cold wash and hang dry, best way to ensure it doesn't shrink

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
99 dollars. I'm from Australia so everything is much more expensive despite our dollar being the same as USD. Stupid, really.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
99 dollars. I'm from Australia so everything is much more expensive despite our dollar being the same as USD. Stupid, really.
The basic Lacoste in the US is $90 retail now and they go higher.

And btw, a dozen countries call their money the dollar so it means nothing as far as the exchange rate and does not mean that one is worth more or less in relation to the US dollar. The HK dollar is 7:1 to the US. What are they teaching you boys today in economics!
facepalm.gif

Another thing about Lacoste is that make many different cuts from the regular to the ultra slim so READ the discriptions on the site for the model you want.
The models on the Lacoste site are all wearing size 4 which fits a man with a 40" chest (you allow 4" on knit shirts for movement)
Lacoste also uses a tigher grading and each size is only 1.5"difference, unlike other makers where it's more like 4" between a S-M-L etc
And Lacoste do not shrink.
All shirts stretch a little as you're wearing them due to movement esp. when you buy them too tight but go back to original size after washing.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are you talking about? AUD and USD are just cents apart. It's basically the same rate.

hrb

Reaction score
i have a few standard Lacoste Polo's. FWIW I'm a 36 or a very slim 38 in a suit, 28 waist, just over 6ft, and wear a size 2 in lacoste. they fit fairly well, shrink a little. but still are ok in the length (1 inch or so shorter after a hot wash and dry).

Enter unsolicited suggestion: If you're struggling to drop the $100 (which could probably be better spent elsewhere in the old wardrobe), you could always roll by a vintage store and grab one for $5. there are hoards of them.

tomee

Reaction score
never owned a Lacoste polo
prices for them in Australia are over $100 as well as teh fact that i sometimes find their sizing all over the place

all my polos are RL, the collars annoy me after a few washes as they seem to look lifeless

Last edited:

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No they cost $99.00, well the plain color one at least

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lacoste has sites for every country but only the US one sells online. Looks like Lacoste UK does now too, But the US always has the lowest prices and there are always reductions. The $90 shirt sells for 75 pounds ($120)on UK Lacoste.I was looking for a jacket on the UK and it was 200 pounds ($320) but it's only $250 on the US site and is on sale for $112.
Clothes are always cheaper in the US than they are even in countries where they are made for some reason which is why I never buy anything while traveling. Why pay more and then have to carry it. I don't recommend buying anything by mail either from other countries.

And btw, the BB polos are excellent and have always been made in Hong Kong (now labelled made in China) ad although I'm not slim I always get the slim cut, it fits better.
To the guy in Australia I don't know what they stock there but if they don't have the slimmer Lacostes I wouldn't buy it because the regular is a bit boxy.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The basic Lacoste in the US is $90 retail now and they go higher.

And btw, a dozen countries call their money the dollar so it means nothing as far as the exchange rate and does not mean that one is worth more or less in relation to the US dollar. The HK dollar is 7:1 to the US. What are they teaching you boys today in economics!:facepalm:

hahahaha, wow....that is probably the dumbest, least thoughtful reply I've seen on any thread

1 Aussie Dollar = 1.02 US Dollars, so yes they are relatively the same as Ryback noted

Although what DOES effect the price in Australia would be trade regulations, tariffs, shipping costs etc... things I have not researched in specific to Australia., but definitely do drive margins down so to compensate retailers mark up their prices.

That's a shame, in the US there are many outlets, I have never seen a friend pay more than $60 for a Lacoste Polo, solid or patterned. Although a few times it did mean they had to buy more than 1 to get that price per shirt - however that's besides the point, $99 kinda blows.

Last edited:

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I went out to the city to buy a Lacoste polo, but when I tried them on they looked pretty average, nothing special, just looked like a target polo with a crocodile patch (IMO).

So I went to the Ralph Lauren store again and I saw a nice looking custom fit polo. My mom said it looked heaps better than the Lacoste (I don't go shopping with my dear mommy, she came with me to buy shoes lol).

They didn't have Large which is my size in this color but when I tried on a XL it fitted me like a Large would. The salesman there told me that "Custom Fit" are usually a size smaller and rightfully so, as when I tried a Large in another color it was too tight and fit me like a Medium.

They had a sale and it was marked down to 100 dollars from 150 dollars!

Anyways here is the picture, I know most of you peeps don't like the large pony logo, but I don't mind it and think it would look very nice for a 21 year old with a pair of nice jeans!

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums...F-B803-D95849F3FAE5-1265-00000103BCC9CE65.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics