• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I answered that in post #4.

That's weird. Was it just the one polo shirt that came apart or more than just one?
Many people say its durable.

Also do they stretch a lot after a couple if washes? I don't want a L to fit me like a XXL after a year. Lol

ap10046

Reaction score
I have a couple of both the RL and the Lacoste.
I feel the Lacoste ones are made of a more see through, "open" weave fabric..I find them lighter as well.
I've had RL's stretch at least a full size, if not more after a few wearings.
Also have 2 Sunspel which are very nice..a bit old fashioned and 3 Paul Smith multicolor zebra polos and I know I'm going to get told off, but the Gap athletic polo I have, has fared better than all of the above!

Ryback

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have a couple of both the RL and the Lacoste.
I feel the Lacoste ones are made of a more see through, "open" weave fabric..I find them lighter as well.
I've had RL's stretch at least a full size, if not more after a few wearings.
Also have 2 Sunspel which are very nice..a bit old fashioned and 3 Paul Smith multicolor zebra polos and I know I'm going to get told off, but the Gap athletic polo I have, has fared better than all of the above!

So would the lacoste polo stretch a lot after?

Should I get a size smaller??

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, you guys have to compare apples to apples here. Compare the shirts offered made of the same or similar materials. I've had RL polos fall apart, too but those were made of that see thru tissue material so it was expected. The pima and mercerized cotton ones, for example are prone to stretching.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the fit and durability of Ralph Lauren Polos. I only buy them from Ralph Lauren because they seem to fit better and be more durable than the ones I bought from a department store.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I chucked all of my RL Polos -- just too many of them around -- and replaced them all with Lacoste, which I have been wearing for about 45 years . Bought some at full price as I needed a few black and bought a bunch on eBay, which is nice because they have a slightly worn appearance. The shrinkage -- as the store employees will tell you -- is only in the length but unless you're a tall, I would not use that as a reason to go up a size. BB is kind of corny, forget A&F, and I agree with the fellow about the checks on the placket of thte Burberry's --fugly.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've mostly tried them all, here's what I have to say, and trying not to be bias:

Ralph Lauren - Shirts i've owned 7 years ago become sentimental and still a great fit and look like they were made to be worn by me- although their collars annoy me sometimes - with careful care you can make the collars last, but when they go, they go.

Gant/Rugger - adding this here because they make quite nice Polos, although a bit pricey, they fit well and are pretty good quality. The styles they offer are unique and not as tacky as Lacoste's

Brooks Brother - several years ago they were pretty bad, but recently have been improved

Lacoste - the original and best 'Tennis' polo, although I have disdain towards them for their shrinkage and durability over time, surprised others hav emet better success. Otherwise Lacoste is great, and a sentiment and reminder of Rene Lacoste AKA 'the Crocodile'

Fred Perry - hit and miss, though accurate depiction apart from Lacoste of the 'perfect' tennis polo
Penguin - sort of a cult following brand from what I've seen. Nothing really inherently wrong with Penguin apart from what any other Polo goes through - at this point its merely preference of fit and style

Canterbury - don't know enough but others do it better, no reason to come here or consider their polos
Burberry - sad attempt at trying to plaster their logo, Burberry shouldn't have to do this

Abercrombie and Fitch - Highschooler's dream, wannabe's - but certainly not 'trash'

Utter garbage:
Nautica
Boss
Tommy Hilfiger

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick to the RL polos is to wash them after each day-long wear. Wash them with the collars up and hang them to dry taking note that the shoulder of the shirt should align with the shoulder of the hanger. I have some shirts that are 20+ years old and still look great.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which brands would fall under this category?
Lacoste? RL? Tommy?

That's not something brand related, Pima/Mercurized cotton is nearly always prone to stretching.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick to the RL polos is to wash them after each day-long wear. Wash them with the collars up and hang them to dry taking note that the shoulder of the shirt should align with the shoulder of the hanger. I have some shirts that are 20+ years old and still look great.

Exactly what I do! I wash on gentle cycle with collars up, put in the dryer on air dry for 30 minutes and hang on a plastic suit hanger with wide shoulders. Then fold at put away.

The Brooks Brothers Polos are garbage, like a majority of their products recently.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly what I do! I wash on gentle cycle with collars up, put in the dryer on air dry for 30 minutes and hang on a plastic suit hanger with wide shoulders. Then fold at put away.
The Brooks Brothers Polos are garbage, like a majority of their products recently.

I have had BB polos for years and I'm bored of them so I wish they would wear out but hey don't. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Black Fleece ones are especially nice.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have had BB polos for years and I'm bored of them so I wish they would wear out but hey don't. I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Black Fleece ones are especially nice.

I'm talking about the performance Polos, the arm bands and collar stretch out, the mesh material is thin and they are cut off center.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads