• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank the following leather types: Calfskin, Goatskin, Lambskin and Pigskin.

jeromestyle

Reaction score
from most exclusive to least and
from highest quality to least.

Calfskin, Goatskin, Lambskin and Pigskin.

JHBU2011

Reaction score
pig skin would be the least (although they do make a good football with it)

I would say they are used for different things. Lambskin is really really soft and used for smaller things while calfskin is a bit harder. I don't know about goat skin though.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

jeromestyle

Reaction score

pig skin would be the least (although they do make a good football with it)

I would say they are used for different things. Lambskin is really really soft and used for smaller things while calfskin is a bit harder. I don't know about goat skin though.
Why would Smythson, a high-end brand, use pigskin for making wallets?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really matters for what purpose. Lamb makes great skin for wallets, but hardly for captoes.

Tadite

Reaction score
It doesn't work that way. Those four are all reasonably common so it would be the individual quality of the specific item that matters more then the origin animal.

jeromestyle

Reaction score

It doesn't work that way. Those four are all reasonably common so it would be the individual quality of the specific item that matters more then the origin animal.

if you buy the best quality you can find for each of those leather types, you should be able to rank them in price. +price=+exclusive

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of those skins are exotics, so the price becomes solely determined by the Brand and the color/grade of the individual leather.

a Hermes Calf Skin Wallet will be roughly the same prince range a Hermes Lamb Skin Wallet of the same model. And like Tadite said, the quality would be really based on the manufacturer.

Lamb Skin is the softest of the skin, but the problem is it is prone to stretching and while feel like better it will not last as well as Bridle leather (for example). While Calf is the normal because it has a balance of softness vs durability. While others like Cordovan because its density and the firm yet supple feeling. This is not even involving the style of wallet. Breast Wallets and Farmer's Wallets tend to be harder leather, coin pockets tend to be soft leather, Bi-folds or Tri-folds can be either, etc.

When you are talking about "high end wallet" these common leather good comes down to personal preference as opposed a general statement that can be made categorically.

To my personal preference I would rank them: Calf, Goat, Pig, Lamb

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

from most exclusive to least and
from highest quality to least.

Calfskin, Goatskin, Lambskin and Pigskin.

Calfskin is the firmest and the best suited to shoemaking.

Pigskin if tanned correctly is tough and makes a good shoe although it is very porous.

Goatskin is an older version of kidskin. It is fairly delicate and is prone to "peeling" although not as much as kid and maybe not as much as in earlier years. Most women's shoes are made of kid or goat.

Lambskin is the most delicate of the four. I would not recommend it for any shoemaking purpose. It peels readily and the grain surface is very soft...meaning it has little or no abrasion or puncture resistance. Because the grain surface is so soft, I don't think I've ever seen a lambskin that had a finish coat on it. Mostly naked grain...maybe some wax. It is often used for a light suede for women's shoes.

Think of the animal...the environment it lives in. The purposes for which it is bred and raised. The age and size of the animal. Those things will tell you a great deal about the quality of the leather without even seeing it.

As far as "exclusivity" is concerned, none of the four are uncommon. So then it comes down to tannages, finish and purpose. Best quality calfskin would be premium in any shoemaking context.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alligator Skin is pretty exclusive.

I've seen Boots made of Ostrich

Football boots made of Kangaroo

I would say those are pretty exclusive...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alligator Skin is pretty exclusive.

I've seen Boots made of Ostrich

Football boots made of Kangaroo

I would say those are pretty exclusive...

Yes, not in the four mentioned by the OP, however.

I love alligator and crocodile, elephant, and a good kangaroo looks like the best calf but is a bit lighter (thinner).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads