• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank in terms of dressing with class/style: US, France, Italy, England, Japan

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Originally Posted by LabelKing
French people become very genial and friendly if you show familarity with their cultural contributions.
Like pommes frites or patates frites

But dont let the Belgians hear that.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Florence , Italy to be rather nice. The women wore the simple white t-shirt or longsleeve, hair pulled back, sunglasses and jeans, but it looked well put together as opposed to frumpy.

The young men wore summer suits. The older gentlemen wore their short sleeeve shirts and played bocci. It all worked.

It really help the overall aesthetic to not see EVERYBODY wearing sneakers.

The worst: Istanbul

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To give a UK perspective - we are very, very patchy. London (or at least parts of it!) has some great style on display and a lot of people seem to take care of their appearance. Not necessarily in a conservative "suit & tie" way, but it definitely has some people with a good sense of style. Other parts of Southern England can do conservative style quite well. Oxford actually has enough young students trying to look good that there's a sense of style around if you look hard enough. You have to look though!
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The casualness of dress that has permeated America has taken root in every other country in the world as well. There is no sartorial "shining city on a hill". That said, the Upper East Side of Manhattan is Mecca.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
The casualness of dress that has permeated America has taken root in every other country in the world as well. There is no sartorial "shining city on a hill". That said, the Upper East Side of Manhattan is Mecca.
I'd imagine the Parc Monceau (or much of the southern 17th arrondissement) on a weekday afternoon, the banks of the Alster and certain parts of Rome, Vienna and many other cities are shining satellite Medinas, then?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People in China, usually large cities take an effort of dressing up. Some of the women have hairstyles so elaborate, they look like extras from Hairspray.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I spent a few months in Milan (spent all my money at Tincati!) and I was very impressed with the style of the men and women.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a shocker: Tony Gaziano told me that he thinks Japan is the best dressed country.

--Andre

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Here's a shocker: Tony Gaziano told me that he thinks Japan is the best dressed country.

--Andre

Probably because that's where his Money is coming from.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since Ive started taking an above-average interest in dressing well Ive been overwhelmed with the mediocrity everywhere I travel. Italy is really the only place where you'll find a decent number of young men wearing suits just for the hell of it, so Im going to give them my vote. I guess because the downtowns arent as overrun with as many damn hipsters as the nations?

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Can't really blame Angelenos for dressing the way they do - just blame it on the weather.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dizzhizz
Can't really blame Angelenos for dressing the way the do - just blame it on the weather.
Angelenos wore wonderful clothes, back in the day, even before AC. See Hollywood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads