• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank best dressed nationalities

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's focus on the epicenter of fashion for each country, e.g., if we say America, we really mean New York, so here it goes:

1) French - more fashion forward, thinnest

2) Italian - such history, such fabrics, such quality

3) British - there's a HUGE gap between 2 and 3, but I've got to give a nod to the old English gentleman, Burberry's overcoats, and most importantly the tradition of the row

4) German - this is a surprise, but upper-crust Germans KILL with fashion

5) American - bb has a certain lineage

6) Greek - starting to get very european, but the "son of a shipping tycoon" look is always nice

7) Japanese - somewhat oppressed with the boring suit syndrome, but younger guys dress extremely sharp

I don't know what to do with Spain, I'm unfamiliar with SA, and China is communist!

(BTW--I write this thread somewhat in jest as my global awareness is about one step above thinking Canada borders on Mexico.)

twistoffat

Reaction score
My experieces would probably be more city orientated than country
1) Milan
2)Stockholm
3)Paris
4) New York
5) London

Annadale

Reaction score
1. British.
2. The rest of the world.
nest.gif

ktrp

Reaction score
I don't think this really 'works'. I don't think its reasonable to suggest that a group of people wearing bespoke Huntsman are better or worse dressed then a group of people wearing bespoke Rubinacci.

For this reason, I think talking about the best dressed is pointless. What is really more interesting is the extent to which elegance is a part of the average, middle class person's style of dress.

I have little to say on that point, beyond north america trailing europe in that regard. Sadly, in both areas the trend is downward. Everything moves to oversized sportwear, a great irony since the people wearing this sportswear are less and less in shape. I suppose for the new obese, walking from one's car to one's chair is indeed an athletic performance, and hence requires comfortable clothes and running shoes.

Grey

Reaction score
Meh, I think this is all wrong.

No way should the US be above Japan or probably even Spain.

Should be: Ranked by % of population dressing well right NOW, and how well.

The average Japanese or Spanish national is dressing better and more thoughtfully than the average American, IMO. People are more concerned, on average, over fit, etc.

Top four are probably right though. I think Holland might be up there too, actually.

sf_esq

Reaction score
My top 2:

Italian
British

The rest are interchangeable.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grey

I agree with this, since the top 5% of all countries will look pretty good and in all countries you'll find people who don't care how the look, regardless of income.

Though this would be a hard question for most people to answer with any level of certainty, including myself.

dookjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grey

This too. Its not fair because the vast majority of America gives no ****.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
best of the best men..(sure most dress terribliy)
London

best of the best women..
Paris & London

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Style Forvm, where we now discuss the mundane and pointless, peppered with a good dose of the absurd.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Welcome to Style Forvm, where we now discuss the mundane and pointless, peppered with a good dose of the absurd.

i think a similar thread was started by a big timer a few months back. didnt see it being ridiculed.

just saaayin'

CaymanS

Reaction score
Obviously, Libyan has to be up there - the Qaddafi family especially. The dog himself:

4rgb7w3

49jusaw

The dog's son:

6b43aek

The dog's other son, prone to giving press conferences that don't make a God-forsaken bit of sense:

47htvpj

#FreeLibya

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads