• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Range Rover offroad, F430 on road, other surprises...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a fun automotive Sunday this weekend. In the morning, I went offroading in the Range Rover. I found the car to be very capable, as well as quite comfortable. The model is top of the range, with a supercharged engine. MSRP was about $93,000. First we got there and they gave me my "Land Rover" wrist band. I suppose it's what Lance Armstrong would wear if he went off-roading.
october2006054mediumwm0.jpg
I had a Land Rover instructor with me at all times, which was very helpful. First, he explained about the car and all the offroad aids. These include a switch to set it into a lower gearing, and a second switch for "hill descent."
october2006008mediumwj9.jpg
Fit and finish was quite good. Though, I have to say, I am personally a big fan of wood trim, and I am kind of disappointed with luxury cars these days. They are incorporating much more aluminum or carbon fiber into their interiors, while I personally miss the days when there was lots of burl wood.
october2006009mediumhn8.jpg
We soon made our way to the course and starting fording streams. The car was in first gear most of the time, and we jacked up the air suspension so that it was at the highest setting.
october2006023mediumrt4.jpg
october2006025mediumef7.jpg
october2006027mediumoy5.jpg
october2006028mediumou8.jpg
october2006030mediumsd9.jpg
october2006031mediumtm3.jpg
october2006032mediumyc3.jpg
The RR not only goes up and down inclines really well, but it can take those inclines on the side as well. I was pretty scared we were going to tip over, but thankfully the car handled really well. We stayed fully planted.
october2006034mediumhq6.jpg
Funnily, when I am on an incline like this, my inclination was to steer the car towards the incline. In other words, when the car was like it was in these pictures, I kept wanting to steer to the right. It felt like by steering right, I would steer away from harm (i.e. the car tipping over to the left). But the instructor insured me that we wouldn't tip over, and that I should just hold the car straight. He was right.
october2006035mediumdk9.jpg
october2006036mediumvx1.jpg
When we finished the course, we got to chill for a bit. We got to check out some of the other Land Rovers and Range Rovers that were there today.
october2006040mediumeq6.jpg
october2006041mediumta5.jpg
Inside the stables (the event was held at the U.S. Equestrian Team's training grounds and headquarters), they had a nice lunch set up, and lots of nice flowers.
october2006045mediumha6.jpg
october2006046mediumjm7.jpg
They also had other things to do, like a cooking class and some sort of perfume talk for the ladies.
october2006047mediumwi3.jpg
october2006048mediumuh0.jpg
The stables are really nice. There is a real, original, Tiffany glass ceiling. There is also this glass floor below, which apparently you used to be able to walk on back in the day, but not anymore.
october2006049mediumkj8.jpg
october2006050mediumzw2.jpg
On the way home, I stopped at a local car dealer, where they had an absolutely lovely XK120 roadster and E-type coupe. I really want to buy the E-type, but the maintenance scares me...
october2006057mediumhk4.jpg
On the way home, I also saw a nice looking 355 GTS and, in the same parking lot, a Bentley Fastback! Wow, that was a surprise. I absolutely love the Fastback.
october2006059mediumpe8.jpg
october2006060mediumjt5.jpg
october2006061mediumhx8.jpg
october2006062mediumlw9.jpg
october2006063mediumak1.jpg
october2006064mediumrj0.jpg
october2006066mediumzq0.jpg
When I got home, I really wanted to go out for a drive in the F430. It was really windy today, but I don't often have the time just to go for a drive, so I decided to head out anyway.
october2006069mediumwj7.jpg
october2006071mediumjr3.jpg
october2006072mediumih8.jpg
I set off. There are so many leaves on the road. It really is autumn.
october2006073mediumiu6.jpg
I decided to go to a scenic overlook. It really was beautiful.
october2006077mediumvp2.jpg
october2006078mediumas8.jpg
october2006079mediumht8.jpg
october2006080mediumok7.jpg
october2006087mediumvg5.jpg
And finally, back home.
october2006088mediumue1.jpg
october2006090mediumbb8.jpg
smile.gif

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed this post. It was well written and full of interesting pictures. I think the best part is that you talked about stuff a regular person like me would be interested in and didn't waste time on details that only a car head or someone who could afford the LR would care about. Also, you explained each picture so I didn't leave with any questions such as "where is that buffet located? It looks like a stable!"

hotstuff

Reaction score
This is my first time on this site. I actually went to this same event on Friday in Jersey. I also thought it was great. I drove a white Range Rover HSE. I was also afraid of the angles they took us on but had a blast! The equestrian center was amazing also. Hope to do it again maybe one day with my own RR.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did an event like yours a while back with BMW. Really fun stuff that I would never otherwise have done. It was wild driving sideway on a 45 degree slope of loose dirt. Nice V1, but you need a jammer for the kind of speed you're doing. BTW, don't you ever get tired of driving fast in your Ferrari, or driving it in general?
tounge.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
BTW, don't you ever get tired of driving fast in your Ferrari, or driving it in general?
tounge.gif

He's only got 400-something miles on it.. I don't think he is tired of it yet
smile.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I did an event like yours a while back with BMW. Really fun stuff that I would never otherwise have done. It was wild driving sideway on a 45 degree slope of loose dirt.

Nice V1, but you need a jammer for the kind of speed you're doing. BTW, don't you ever get tired of driving fast in your Ferrari, or driving it in general?
tounge.gif

If you ever do tire of driving the Ferrari, I would be happy to swap cars for a week or twenty. I'll let you have your pick from my stable - the 2001 Dodge Stratus or the 1995 Jeep Wrangler, Rio Grande edition with custom toolbox, bottle opener bolted to the front fender, and soup-can modified exhaust system. Just make sure to bring it back with a full tank.

BTW, that Bentley Fastback is absolutely stunning. I actually liked that the most.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shots. My dad has a love of old Rolls. He's been thinking of getting a convertible, maybe a Cornish or something like that from the 70s when he retires and only has to have 2 cars.

How tall are you? Every exotic car I've ever been in has been impossible.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Beautiful shots. My dad has a love of old Rolls. He's been thinking of getting a convertible, maybe a Cornish or something like that from the 70s when he retires and only has to have 2 cars.

How tall are you? Every exotic car I've ever been in has been impossible.

I'm 5'6-5'7"

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
That's an ideal height for these cars. If you've got a couple million to spare, maybe go for a used Formula One car.
smile.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice post and pics. I hope you weren't looking in the camera viewfinder while taking a pic at 155mph
confused.gif

Pink22m

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice post and pics. I hope you weren't looking in the camera viewfinder while taking a pic at 155mph
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.
laugh.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be tearing it up in the Ferrari, especially with the unusually warm weather we have now and with winter fast approaching.

Saying that the E-type maintenance is scary coming from a Ferrari owner is scary enough.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate but I'll never be able to enjoy those cars. I'm 6'4 so I'll always have to drive a big sedan or SUV.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
It's unfortunate but I'll never be able to enjoy those cars. I'm 6'4 so I'll always have to drive a big sedan or SUV.

My friend is 6'-6" and although that helps him with some things, he has a hell of a time fitting into cars properly.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads