• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

range rover hse

madison avenue

Reaction score
would love to hear some members input if you own or have experienced the car. Please state what year and please state any pros cons problems etc. Would you reccomend buying one? Thanks in advance.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that Ed Morel is a big Range Rover fan.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I heard that Ed Morel is a big Range Rover fan.

smile.gif

Pros are that you fit in with all the other Manhattanites that have a car for which they have no real need, you get treated great at the parking garages and the car is pretty luxe on the inside, although pales to the Cayenne in my opinion but then the exterior is better on the Range.

The cons are as long as my leg. If you plan on owning it for more than the warranty period, set aside a nice size reserve fund for the repairs. Something along the lines of 10-20% of the cost of the car. And get used to your Rover dealer's service dept., you'll be spending a lot of time there.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
smile.gif

Pros are that you fit in with all the other Manhattanites that have a car for which they have no real need, you get treated great at the parking garages and the car is pretty luxe on the inside, although pales to the Cayenne in my opinion but then the exterior is better on the Range.

The cons are as long as my leg. If you plan on owning it for more than the warranty period, set aside a nice size reserve fund for the repairs. Something along the lines of 10-20% of the cost of the car. And get used to your Rover dealer's service dept., you'll be spending a lot of time there.

You could NOT have put it better. I had a 2005 Rover, and luckily it was under warranty!!!

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
smile.gif

This is spot on. my dad purchased a range rover sport, and I think it spent more time in the shop then it ever did in his possession. As beautiful as they look, they are incredibly faulty for the price tag.

KBW

Reaction score
I've had two HSE's and currently have a sport and never had much trouble with any of them. They've never been my dd so I haven't put a ton of miles on them but my only problem was the power steering went out on my first HSE but it was under warranty so it wasn't a big deal.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
This is spot on. my dad purchased a range rover sport, and I think it spent more time in the shop then it ever did in his possession. As beautiful as they look, they are incredibly faulty for the price tag.

When these Sports first came out (and probably until this day), one of the major problems of the car was a shaking/vibrating of the steering above speeds of 60-70 mph (although not all Sports have this problem, but a majority in the first couple model years, for sure). Even the dealer had no clue what caused this. I heard/read of people having to go back numerous/countless times to the dealer to get this fixed. The dealer would swap out tires, try to balance the hell out of them, and whatever other "solutions," but the problem remained. Doesn't surprise me, the damn thing is made by Ford. That is one reason that, although I love the look, I refuse to by this car, until RR can get their act together.

It's funny if you go to RR forums. These people are absolutely in love with their cars and have delusional opinions about their experiences owning one. Despite a majority of those forum members complaining about the above problem (among many other problems) - what I perceive to be a major issue and deal breaker - most of them said they didn't mind and would buy the car again! I mean, WTF? Your $60-70k car has an unexplainable and virtually unfixable problem that causes your car to shake and you're okay with this? Idiots.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Are you Taliban or a Somali warlord? Planning to join the fray in the DRC? If not, why would you want an assault truck?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Are you Taliban or a Somali warlord? Planning to join the fray in the DRC? If not, why would you want an assault truck?

I think you're thinking of a G-Class Mercedes there, THE choice of warlords around the world.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
They're all the same. Either owned by warlords or pathetic suburbanites who wish they were third world warlords deep down.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Doesn't surprise me, the damn thing is made by Ford. That is one reason that, although I love the look, I refuse to by this car, until RR can get their act together.

It's funny if you go to RR forums. These people are absolutely in love with their cars and have delusional opinions about their experiences owning one. Despite a majority of those forum members complaining about the above problem (among many other problems) - what I perceive to be a major issue and deal breaker - most of them said they didn't mind and would buy the car again! I mean, WTF? Your $60-70k car has an unexplainable and virtually unfixable problem that causes your car to shake and you're okay with this? Idiots.

You are aware RR's have never had a reputation for reliability, it's not because they were owned by Ford, but because they were British.

The British make by far some of my favorite cars, but they've never been known to be all that bullet proof. In fact, I can't think of too many European SUV's that qualify as extremely reliable. Regardless, there's few trucks I respect or admire more than RR.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You better come pick me up in it

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I think you're thinking of a G-Class Mercedes there, THE choice of warlords around the world.

I love the G-Class, but the Talibani/Somali warload vehicle of choice is the Toyota Landcruiser. Aesthetically Range Rover rules, but they have never been able to get their reliability IMHO to even the BMW level.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

I seriously considered buying one a few years ago, and decided to follow the RR forums for awhile to hear about reliability and build quality. I was amazed at how passionate many owners were about the brand, despite major problems and minor annoyances that they experienced. In the end, I decided to pass on purchasing one.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
They're all the same. Either owned by warlords or pathetic suburbanites who wish they were third world warlords deep down.
They are also popular amongst gay men, the type who shops at Barneys and thinks Tyler Brule is great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads