• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random things found in the pockets of thrifted clothing.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought an old schott jacket and found a receipt for 26 dollars of steel bought some place in kansas on the date of my birth. I live in Norway. It's like the start of a bad novel.

I would definitely read this novel.

I have a small collection of boner pills thanks to thrifting.

Found a picture of the dead guy whose clothes I thrifted in the pocket of one of his jackets.

kickstand

Reaction score
What I thought would be cash in a breast pocket

IMG_4397.JPG

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one ever found half a gram of sugar ?

Edited: was on page 3 already, started reading from the end.

dstarz

Reaction score
OK, Here's one:

I got it into my nut that I wanted a Savile Row made suit. Living in Los Angeles, and not possessing the necessaries, (i.e. time, money, etc) to go to London, I began looking around on eBay. Well, I found one: A BEAUTIFUL chalk-stripe DB, made in 1980, on The Row. In MY size yet! Got it for the VERY reasonable price of $47.00, with $10 shipping. During this time, I took our older son to see "The Wolf Of Wall Street"; very good, very accurate. Having lived thru the 80's, (barely!) and in The Big Apple, he was filled with questions as we headed home: Was NYC that crazy during the period in question? Was there really that much in the way of drugs? And money? Etc etc etc. The answers were resounding Yeses!

A few days later my new suit arrived. Truly, truly, one of the best things I've ever had on my body. Perfect; NOT with an 80's "look", but, rather, the classic look of The Row. Utter perfection. Only thing was, it needed to have the pants let out a smidge. So I took it to my tailor who looked upon it admiringly. Where did I get it? eBay; $47, $10 shipping. I am a bit of a thrift store genius, but even he marveled at the suit. Went to pick it up, and off to my cleaners. Again, where did I get it? Why, eBay; Savile Row, 1980. Amazed, the dry cleaner put it thru it's paces. Came the night to wear it; a big party, with lots of industry types there. (I work in Show Business.) The wife tells me to look SHARP. So I pull it out of the closet, and begin the ritual of getting dressed. Putting on the pants, I notice there is something in the small pocket, kind of inside the right-hand pocket, (I call it the condom pocket; could be for change, or a watch, or...etc.) So I begin to dig in said pocket. It's deep, and it takes me a moment or two, but finally I come up with it: A little vial of cocaine! I am so old I have to put on glasses to make out what it is! I rush to tell the wife; run to show the boys. I mean, WHAT says 80's more than a vial of coke in the pocket of a bespoke suit?! Wow!

I was, needless to say, the hit of the party with this story!

I wrote to the eBayer from whom I purchased the garment, with some vague questions. (Don't wanna get anyone in trouble, etc.) He told me he had gotten it in a thrift store on the Upper West Side, it was too big, and turned around to sell it for a small profit. Actually thought it would go for more! So, friends, it went from: The closet of the original owner, to the thrift store; to the seller's apartment, thru the mails; from the tailor to the dry cleaner, and then, finally, to me, where the vial was discovered! How about THAT?! Pretty wild. I have kept the vial in my jewelry box, to remind myself of the randomness of life, which is filled with surprises!

Thanks for reading.

DS.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Here's one:

I got it into my nut that I wanted a Savile Row made suit. Living in Los Angeles, and not possessing the necessaries, (i.e. time, money, etc) to go to London, I began looking around on eBay. Well, I found one: A BEAUTIFUL chalk-stripe DB, made in 1980, on The Row. In MY size yet! Got it for the VERY reasonable price of $47.00, with $10 shipping. During this time, I took our older son to see "The Wolf Of Wall Street"; very good, very accurate. Having lived thru the 80's, (barely!) and in The Big Apple, he was filled with questions as we headed home: Was NYC that crazy during the period in question? Was there really that much in the way of drugs? And money? Etc etc etc. The answers were resounding Yeses!

A few days later my new suit arrived. Truly, truly, one of the best things I've ever had on my body. Perfect; NOT with an 80's "look", but, rather, the classic look of The Row. Utter perfection. Only thing was, it needed to have the pants let out a smidge. So I took it to my tailor who looked upon it admiringly. Where did I get it? eBay; $47, $10 shipping. I am a bit of a thrift store genius, but even he marveled at the suit. Went to pick it up, and off to my cleaners. Again, where did I get it? Why, eBay; Savile Row, 1980. Amazed, the dry cleaner put it thru it's paces. Came the night to wear it; a big party, with lots of industry types there. (I work in Show Business.) The wife tells me to look SHARP. So I pull it out of the closet, and begin the ritual of getting dressed. Putting on the pants, I notice there is something in the small pocket, kind of inside the right-hand pocket, (I call it the condom pocket; could be for change, or a watch, or...etc.) So I begin to dig in said pocket. It's deep, and it takes me a moment or two, but finally I come up with it: A little vial of cocaine! I am so old I have to put on glasses to make out what it is! I rush to tell the wife; run to show the boys. I mean, WHAT says 80's more than a vial of coke in the pocket of a bespoke suit?! Wow!

I was, needless to say, the hit of the party with this story!

I wrote to the eBayer from whom I purchased the garment, with some vague questions. (Don't wanna get anyone in trouble, etc.) He told me he had gotten it in a thrift store on the Upper West Side, it was too big, and turned around to sell it for a small profit. Actually thought it would go for more! So, friends, it went from: The closet of the original owner, to the thrift store; to the seller's apartment, thru the mails; from the tailor to the dry cleaner, and then, finally, to me, where the vial was discovered! How about THAT?! Pretty wild. I have kept the vial in my jewelry box, to remind myself of the randomness of life, which is filled with surprises!

Thanks for reading.

DS.

Probably best to keep that to yourself!

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have kept the vial in my jewelry box, to remind myself of the randomness of life, which is filled with surprises!

Just because you didn't realize that it was there, if the dry cleaners had found it and called the cops... well, ds, you would have some 'splaining to do. Also, as cool as it is, I don't think that I would keep it in my house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads