• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

random questions of a tall, skinny guy

torontobluered

Reaction score
tall skinny guy (6'4" and 180lb) checking in with a few questions:

1. should i avoid pinstripe shirts because they'll make me look even taller and skinnier? they're classy as hell haha. and if so, what patterns should i get to make me look a bit wider/bigger?

2. my neck looks really long...will wearing shirts with colors make it slightly less noticeable? should i leave t-shirts behind and buy more polos and button downs?

3. i like the pants that are tight at the bottom of the leg so they don't dangle around the shoe. what are some brands that make such a style? is there a name? i don't want skinny jeans because i like them to have a normal fit, but just tight at the bottom of the legs because they make shoes look sharp.

4. where do i find "slim fit" shirts in canada for a decent price? i'm talking less than 30 for polos, less than 40 for dress shirts... every shirt i try on is loose as hell around my torso and fits terribly. I only have one button down that actually fits me ok. the rest look like dresses.

thanks in advance :)

ajmanouk

Reaction score

tall skinny guy (6'4" and 180lb) checking in with a few questions:1. should i avoid pinstripe shirts because they'll make me look even taller and skinnier? they're classy as hell haha. and if so, what patterns should i get to make me look a bit wider/bigger?2. my neck looks really long...will wearing shirts with colors make it slightly less noticeable? should i leave t-shirts behind and buy more polos and button downs?3. i like the pants that are tight at the bottom of the leg so they don't dangle around the shoe. what are some brands that make such a style? is there a name? i don't want skinny jeans because i like them to have a normal fit, but just tight at the bottom of the legs because they make shoes look sharp.4. where do i find "slim fit" shirts in canada for a decent price? i'm talking less than 30 for polos, less than 40 for dress shirts... every shirt i try on is loose as hell around my torso and fits terribly. I only have one button down that actually fits me ok. the rest look like dresses.thanks in advance :)
Hey man, I'm in exactly the same boat as you (also 6 foot 4 and I also weigh 180....my god I'm a little worried lol). I'm by no means an expert, but I'll try and offer up what I can. Someone correct me I'm wrong. Stripes in general make someone look taller...especially if they're pronounced. I have a few hairline striped shirts that I like, but it's a light grey on white for instance so the stripes are barely visible. Sucks since striped shirts always go on sale haha. Not sure about the second point, but I think wearing a spread collar might help with this. For pants, you can get them tapered from the knee down for 30 bucks or so I believe. Casual slim fit stuff...I don't want to sound like a total teenage prick but in all honesty Abercrombie/Hollister make pretty slim fitting shirts. If you can find one with the logo sort of printed on the placket and then seam rip it off, it may work well. For dress shirts...I go online MTM. If you wait for fabrics to go on sale you can get shirts shipped for 40-50 bucks. Hope I could be of assistance!

torontobluered

Reaction score
interesting...so thinner stripes pronounce it less eh?

I actually HAVE noticed that those hollister/abercrombie shirts fit pretty well -- but I really want plain shirts without logos (polo or lacoste small logos on golf shirts are an exception). Know of any other sources? and I honestly think 50 dollars for dress shirts is a bit expensive.

I don't want to taper pants, I was just interested to know if there is a brand that makes regular fit jeans that are tight at the bottom of the leg.

thanks for the post! you did help lol

laphroaig

Reaction score

1. should i avoid pinstripe shirts because they'll make me look even taller and skinnier? they're classy as hell haha. and if so, what patterns should i get to make me look a bit wider/bigger?</p>

This is a bit of a myth, and the effect is minor anyway. Believe it or not there was a study done on this. http://www.journalofvision.org/content/8/6/822

Horizontal stripes will make you look taller, vertical stripes make you look wider.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, semi-spread collar probably is the best collar choice for a long neck. The wearer's appearance is mostly an unknown, though. Also, collar height matters. Just wearing a shirt with a strong color or pattern could further help distract from neck length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads