• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random interview tips

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am interviewing for a fellowship on Friday. I am confident about it: I am qualified, I've had a great rapport with the program (and particularly with the guy who will be conducting the interview), etc. That said, I don't want to neglect proper preparation.

I've interviewed before so I think I have the basics down. What I want is just random interview tips that you think are helpful. Preferably, stuff that people normally don't consider/think about. I'd really appreciate some help guys. Thanks.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dance for them to Proud Mary - they will be enthralled.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brush your teeth and wear a nice ribbon belt. [:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Target rich environment.

I'll just say, g'luck Conne.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Target rich environment. I'll just say, g'luck Conne.
Comes with the territory. Thanks!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think before you answer a question. Maintain eye contact. Ask questions. Follow up.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
walk the fine like between confidence and cockiness

that and preperation

theres not too much more too it afaik

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Think before you answer a question.
i dont know what a fellowship is but this is vital, especially for technical questions. the interviewer is looking more at your thought processes than the final answer.

r...

Reaction score
Temptation to make stupid joke too...storng. Good luck.

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
the interviewer is looking more at your thought processes than the final answer.

+1

This is probably the most important thing to understand about interviews, I think.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a yellow tie. It comes off as confident but not aggressive. Something like 60% of Fortune 500 CEOs wear yellow ties because it helps them negotiate.

If you can't maintain eye contact then focus on a triangle between the interviewer two eyes and the bridge of his nose. People can't tell the difference but you don't feel awkward after long periods of time.

Clean shoes. Its obvious but nothing is worse in an interview than someone who couldn't be bothered to shine their shoes.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I'd jack in in the morning and a couple hours before you go.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do not hump the interviewer.

Do not adjust yourself.

Do not pick your nose/ear/nails.

Do not fart.

Do not faint/whimper/yelp/cackle.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interviewers will deliberately leave a large gap after a question giving you not only an opportunity to answer but also to ramble on and look like a fool.
I've known one to do this intentionally and a couple of others it was hard to tell whether it was on purpose or not, it probably doesn't matter if you ramble on a bit but you end up feeling silly, so give your answer a deliberate obvious end, rather than rambling on till they cut you off.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Wear a tux to the interview. Try to have a sibling team up and interview with you. Make sure you let everyone in the office to know that you are there to f*ck sh*t up.

Turn the interview around on the interviewer. Tell them that you want to interview them. Ask them how much they make pre tax.

Give them three choices-Their wife, Opra, Barba Walter's. They have to marry one, f*ck one, kill one. Find out which they would choose.

aside from that...

Be on time.
Bring extra resumes for anyone else that may be in the interview.
Send a thank you letter following the interview.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads