• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back to my 5x5 progress, doing well overall, last week I absolutely killed it, but this Monday and then today just felt... sluggish? I've been eating well, resting well, etc. Don't know what's up but just haven't been there this week. I switched up my pre-workout, but that really should not matter, right? After squats it just zaps all of my energy for the rest of the workout. Any help powering through is helpful.

Did you start the program last week, or very recently?

Did you perform unusally well (as in well above the average week in terms of for instance weight used for working sets) last week?

If yes to any of the above, it is not surprising that you feel tired and worn out this week.

If you tax your body more than usually you will obviously feel worse for a while. If you keep at it you will however adapt.

Last edited:

pfurey

Reaction score

Did you start the program last week, or very recently?

Did you perform unusally well (as in well above the average week in terms of for instance weight used for working sets) last week?

If yes to any of the above, it is not surprising that you feel tired and worn out this week.

If you tax your body more than usually you will obviously feel worse for a while. If you keep at it you will however adapt.

Started about 7 weeks ago. I've been following their guidelines perfectly and in general have had pretty linear growth. I up weights 5lbs per lift (lifting 3x a week). I've just followed the program and haven't felt like I hit a wall until yesterday, squats just zapped all of the energy and power from me. Felt unbelievably exhausted mentally after that last set and just didn't bring it mentally for the rest of my lifts like I normally do.

So just power through?

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Started about 7 weeks ago. I've been following their guidelines perfectly and in general have had pretty linear growth. I up weights 5lbs per lift (lifting 3x a week). I've just followed the program and haven't felt like I hit a wall until yesterday, squats just zapped all of the energy and power from me. Felt unbelievably exhausted mentally after that last set and just didn't bring it mentally for the rest of my lifts like I normally do.

So just power through?

I'd say continue unless you really doubt you can finish each set. It is training after all, not testing. But first get more sleep and calories and see if that helps.

I don't like linear progression programs for most people because of this specific reason unless they are beginners - the program usually starts too easy and then becomes too hard. What you can do is to decrease the volume when you hit a wall, imo preferably by lowering reps. In your case you would switch to 5x3 and continue from there, and later 3x3, and thereafter maybe start over. As you decrease the volume on the main lifts you could increase the volume on accessory work, to get total volume somewhat equal. Nothing written in stone, just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha I was making a generalization. Ortho and PM docs IME are pretty bro. Even the sexagenarians 

Truth. Sometimes in the depths of my lifts I think Neurosurgery was the wrong call for bro life. But then maybe it's up to me to bring brodem to nsgy

Last edited:

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all making me regret choosing DPT first, then PhD over MD. I want an ortho bro fam.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Neuro spine can be hella bro-y

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

naw more like nerd clique-y, even most neurospine bros are not jacked bros

Think he means as in bro culture, which seems to be the case for surgeons across the world, but particularly Ortho.

You have to be a certain bro-y type of guy/girl to be accepted. I'm not a doctor or surgeon but I've encountered many female doctors who have said this, and it matches my experience when I've had surgery.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Think he means as in bro culture, which seems to be the case for surgeons across the world, but particularly Ortho.

You have to be a certain bro-y type of guy/girl to be accepted. I'm not a doctor or surgeon but I've encountered many female doctors who have said this, and it matches my experience when I've had surgery.

I think of the surgical specialties neurosurgery is probably the least bro and ortho is definitely the most bro.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think of the surgical specialties neurosurgery is probably the least bro and ortho is definitely the most bro.

Neuro spine folks that do mostly elective cases are a pretty confused lot tho.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was so excited to go to the gym because I'm now over my long streak of sickness from flu, then bronchitis. Every ******* bench and machine I could have used was taken up. All the weights were mixed up, all over the floor, and some missing. It was so damn frustrating. I started to do shoulders but then had shoulder pain. I left early. The trip was a total dud.

The weights are all over the ******* floor too. I'm the only white person at my gym and I worked in a gym back as a college student. White people and non-chinese asians are the only people who put the weights back where they belong. Outside of those two groups it's total chaos. It's about as orderly as releasing a horde of chickens into a room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads