• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the lockdown, my weight is roughly the same, but I'm sure I lost muscle mass and gained fat. I look less cut. I'm going to focus on losing weight first just because Im vain. Eating out in the south is a lot more difficult. They sneak cheese, butter, and bacon bits into anything they can sneak it into. I'm going to replace one of my meals with a green smoothie, but the produce here never seems as fresh.

No one here wears workout gloves, ever. I'm almost always the only one. In California it was maybe 30%-40%.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Study: US adults who did both strength training and aerobic exercise -- which included things like walking and gardening -- had a 40% lower death rate than those who did neither.

1593956308891.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Been letting myself graze more and put a few pounds back on. Correspondingly all my lifts have gained weight. 25# added to benches in the last four weeks, which for a non-roid using desk jockey over 50, is nothing to sneeze at.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only numbers going up for me are the ones on the bathroom scale. Going to need a serious corona cut at some point.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly go to a little hole in the wall gym now. Also have a Planet Fitness membership. The hole in the wall place is appealing because they have barbells.

The hole in the wall place is only staffed a few hrs a day but the place has cameras everywhere, scan your ID when you get a membership, and give you an key fob that unlocks the door inside just for a few seconds. No one could ever damage equipment or bring in a non member and not be found out. It's a pretty good system. They are open 24/7 but pay very little in labor costs. It's a good system.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been wearing a continuous glucose monitor for the last two weeks and it's been pretty interesting. It's like a fat, plastic quarter that sticks to the back of your arm. There's a tiny needle that goes a few millimeters through the skin and samples the glucose in your interstitial fluid and a RFID chip that syncs the readings to an app on your phone. This lets you track in roughly real time what eating different things does to your blood sugar.

Turns out my glycemic control is A-OK. I ate all sorts of carby **** (for science) and didn't have a single excursion above 140 mg/dL, which is the level where you can start accumulating physiological damage. I also get back down to fasting baseline (83 mg/dL on average) quite quickly after eating, which is important because if that takes a long time it suggests you have insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia, which is also physiologically damaging.

In sum, will have to keep looking elsewhere for the root cause of my being a fat ****.

(PS: Also for science, one day I ate nothing at all and just drank two bottles of cabernet for dinner. I was pretty lit but my blood sugar was entirely unmoved.)

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an obsessed, every day work out person...
I have little doubt that one day soon, I'll be found dead as a doornail in my workout clothes.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New weekly schedule has been push, pull, legs, cardio, push, pull, rest/light cardio. Really liking it. I stopped doing long rests between sets, now it's under a minute. None of my lifting sessions take longer than 45 minutes. I switched from the bodybuilding split after reading a few things claiming that full body workouts were more effective than body part split training. We'll see.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New weekly schedule has been push, pull, legs, cardio, push, pull, rest/light cardio. Really liking it. I stopped doing long rests between sets, now it's under a minute. None of my lifting sessions take longer than 45 minutes. I switched from the bodybuilding split after reading a few things claiming that full body workouts were more effective than body part split training. We'll see.

By reducing your rest times so drastically, you're hindering strength gains. And thus, also missing out on the unique benefits that come with being stronger.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still on the fence after watching YT videos on this machine. Seems like it would be cool to have and as an investment piece.

For the more discerning eyes on this forum, what ya'll think?

I also should have enough pathway in the back or side yard for this:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doctor shopping for a while and finally found one who eats 12 eggs a day and asserts that sunning my ball sack on the regular will boost testosterone production by 200%. We are totally going to get on.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doctor shopping for a while and finally found one who eats 12 eggs a day and asserts that sunning my ball sack on the regular will boost testosterone production by 200%. We are totally going to get it on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads