• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have any opinions on those squat racks (I don't know the actual term for them) that guide your movement? I vaguely recall hearing/reading that those were bad for some reason or another.

I recently moved and my new apt complex doesn't have a normal squat cage, but one of those things.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have any opinions on those squat racks (I don't know the actual term for them) that guide your movement? I vaguely recall hearing/reading that those were bad for some reason or another.

I recently moved and my new apt complex doesn't have a normal squat cage, but one of those things.

Smith machines is what they are called or sometimes called. Bodybuilders use them a lot to reduce overall muscle fatigue, people are are training like 6 days a week 2x a day. I've used them here and there, but wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. The late and great Charly who use to post on the thread here uses them a ton.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am so blessed to have a stocked home gym. am and pm sessions no complaints except I wish I had some more variety of dumbbells but I have a Powertec, hack squat, hammer strength incline, squat rack, preacher bench, elliptical and soon a smith machine

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smith machines is what they are called or sometimes called. Bodybuilders use them a lot to reduce overall muscle fatigue, people are are training like 6 days a week 2x a day. I've used them here and there, but wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. The late and great Charly who use to post on the thread here uses them a ton.

Smith machines that's right. Looks like that's going to be my only option so may as well learn to use it.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smith machines that's right. Looks like that's going to be my only option so may as well learn to use it.

Yea, it's main benefit is you can do very large range of motion with it.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just been running 3x a week and doing some sort of pushups at home. I've sort of gotten over the fact I'm going to loose a ton of gains. I'm not really athletic naturally and will shed muscle read fast if I'm not training. I'm looking at 4-8 weeks of quarantine with no access to weights, so eh I've just gotten over it. I'll probably have to start with Starting Strength and work back up to my old program over a span of 6 months.

Even if I wanted some sort of home gym right now, no place is available to ship anything. Even the parks are closed with signs up, so no pullup / dip bars. I don't mind though, I'd prefer to be in a place where the government is taking this serious.
Maybe you can look up some calisthenics routines. Don’t just be stuck doing bw pushups. Back and legs can be worked on without much equipment too.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe you can look up some calisthenics routines. Don’t just be stuck doing bw pushups. Back and legs can be worked on without much equipment too.

I've been loading up some watergallon jugs in a backpack and doing pushups! Then front racking them and doing paused squats. But ehhhh I'm struggling with motivation to toss some water jugs around, haha.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the lockdown is over I think a lot of people who are buying up equipment might continue what they started and keep working at home. For those of us who will go back to the gym I think it's going to be awful for a while because I'm sure a lot people who don't work out are gaining a ton of weight staying at home with nothing to do.

I don't want to buy weight because I might move this year and it will be a hassle. I used a family member's old resistance bands and one snapped and hit my thigh. It's no big deal but if that were to hit my eye I'd be blind. I want to get some resistance bands but wear those safty glasses wood workers use. Don't really know what to look for as far as resistance and length. Most places are sold out anyway.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so blessed to have a stocked home gym. am and pm sessions no complaints except I wish I had some more variety of dumbbells but I have a Powertec, hack squat, hammer strength incline, squat rack, preacher bench, elliptical and soon a smith machine

I want a home gym so bad. I hate going to the gym.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I move too much to get a home gym. But once I'm more settled, probably be like 12+ years from now with my restless soul, I'm definately building a nice home gym. There's a certain social aspect I like about the gym and also motivation. But yea, it's going to suck going back to the gym. Also that's probably the most likely place I will come into contact with the virus.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate going to the gym because of the other people lol

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a home gym so bad. I hate going to the gym.

Well, there are so many options for creating a well-stocked home gym that unless you are absolutely flat broke, you can certainly get a good start building one. I mean, I've been acquiring fitness equipment since I got back from Oxford almost 55 years ago. Some items that would be good for a start would be a few macebells (I've become quite a convert to those), a suitable selection of kettlebells or a couple of pairs of dumbbell handles and collars with an appropriate selection of plates. You can get a damn good workout with any of those without the need for benches, squat racks, etc.--much less Smith machines and that sort of thing. I suggest getting a couple of macebells in 10 and 15 pounds from Set For Set, who will provide you with an e-book that gives you all the macebell exercises you'll ever need to know. Don't be fooled by the light weights--they can give you a kick-ass workout, and you can progress to a heavier weight for little more than a month's gym membership

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there are so many options for creating a well-stocked home gym that unless you are absolutely flat broke, you can certainly get a good start building one. I mean, I've been acquiring fitness equipment since I got back from Oxford almost 55 years ago. Some items that would be good for a start would be a few macebells (I've become quite a convert to those), a suitable selection of kettlebells or a couple of pairs of dumbbell handles and collars with an appropriate selection of plates. You can get a damn good workout with any of those without the need for benches, squat racks, etc.--much less Smith machines and that sort of thing. I suggest getting a couple of macebells in 10 and 15 pounds from Set For Set, who will provide you with an e-book that gives you all the macebell exercises you'll ever need to know. Don't be fooled by the light weights--they can give you a kick-ass workout, and you can progress to a heavier weight for little more than a month's gym membership

Im currently renting. Don't want to have to move a big home gym. I want it to be an actual room one day.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I hate gyms. Crowded smelly places full of show offs and self conscious dorks like me.

Those mace bells do look like fun, but living in an apartment they’re not exactly practical. I can see how you’d feel like a total badass swinging them around!

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to hate gyms until I moved to live in a small rural town and now I pay $15 a week for a gym with basketball, squash and (field) hockey courts, swimming pools and a gym with decent equipment and zero ques. And most people I see in there I know.

Ironically I now live in a place with enough space that I could genuinely have a good home gym if I wanted to. But the gym is such a pleasant experience here, why would I?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads