Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6601

Maybe Rob Adell's departure had something to do with this?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

via http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6601&page=6

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Damn that's nuts!!! No shit those dudes wre juicin

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I feel you are over critiquing the material a bit. IIRC, yes, the recipes and the exercises are a bit over blown, but most "guru" books need the extra material to add some weight to the paperback. The basics are decent and it's written for women and, as said, it avoids getting too nerdy.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

In my experience, getting down to about 6-7% is pretty easy as far as hunger level goes if you know what you're doing. Getting below that is a bit tougher though.

6. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Anybody have experience with Inzer belts?, looking at getting a 13mm lever.

7. mrchariybrown

I've got an Inzer 13mm 2-prong belt. Love it. But it took forever to break in.

8. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Quote:
    Heard the 2 prong was a bitch to get on sometimes.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

13mm single prong, fractured a rib breaking it in. Thing is a beast. Absolute love it now though. I would get a lever if I could do it over again. I do like the option of having it less tight on lighter sets though.

10. mrchariybrown

After it's broken in, it's amazing. But I do recall when it was fairly young in its life, I wanted to throw that thing under a bus.

11. mrchariybrown

Although I find my friend's lever belt very convenient, I would never get one because I use different settings for my squat, bench, and deadlift.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

First time I used it my 1rm went down, couldn't even get it around my waist really or under the loop. Was basically just squatting with the weight of the belt added.

13. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Quote:
    This sounds ideal for me, thanks for the help guys.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Yeah I understand this to an extent, but when you exclude crucial information and say stuff that's just wrong, that's where my problem lies.

For example, in the half of the nutrition section that isn't recipes, he says:

This is stupid. Your metabolism doesn't just immediately slow down. The entire point of cutting is what I said earlier, to eat at a deficit until you either hit your goals or, if not, until your metabolism slows down then you go up to maintenance for a week or two and keep cutting after.

This is probably the dumbest fitness-related thing I've read in quite some time (and I follow this thread regularly so that's saying something).

He then writes an entire chapter on how low carb diets are dumb, then goes on to say "well everyone's macro needs are different" and concludes with absolutely no instruction for how to set your macro levels.

He talks in the next chapter about the "metabolic benefits" of eating at least 4 meals a day, then about the different types of fat (but, again, doesn't offer any instruction for macro calcs).

In the next section that supposedly shows you how to set up your diet, he has you calc out your maintenance level, then has a section titled "Adjust for your goals" which starts off by saying you shouldn't start with a deficit, then says:

All great questions to ask one's self for sure when evaluating progress (I for one track my menstrual cycle extremely closely). But then he "looks at what these signs indicate" by just going in depth further on the questions themselves and not what the answers mean. So a girl could answer the first question "Well I'm not losing weight, it's pretty much stayed the same." Now what? He doesn't say (further, it's even more confusing considering that he just wrote about how bad it is to reduce your caloric intake).

Then goes right into the "meal plans" which are sample plans with no background on how they were constructed whatsoever, just a list of foods to eat, then the recipes and the section's over.

As for the dumb lift I was referring to earlier, it was a Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift:

[​IMG]

Is this supposed to be "functional strength"? WTF is this shit?

Anyways, the lifts in general aren't terrible, I just think it's dumb that he's advocating so many dumbbell and bodyweight exercises when the entire point is to "lift like a man" i.e. progressively increasing weights.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Calorie counting today so far doesn't look so great. I'm going to post it once I'm done eating for the day and let you guys rip it apart. I havn't eaten special today just because I'm tracking my calories, I'm just eating what I usually do.. I might skip out on ice cream tonight though