Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

Yes, I can take a look...

2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I don't remember, I'll have to look when I get home. I remember one was some dumbass dumbbell row where you stand on one leg, wtf is that.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I just don't see what there is to dial in my diet, I eat pretty clean besides throwing in some ice cream into the mix.

Here's my breakfast:
    [​IMG]

For lunch I made 5 cans of tuna fish with celary and onions, I will probably eat 2 cans worth with crackers then force some spinach and swiss chard into my mouth. Then four hours later I will have a protein shake and a pb&j sandwich on ricecakes, then another protein shake after working out, and dinner will look like a typical dinner aka 1 1/2 breasts of chicken some spegheti and a green.

Maybe I just havn't gave my body ample time? I've only been doing this since October. My lifts are still pretty low at 170lbs bench is 135, squat 210, deadlift 230, press 110. This is all post injury too I was deadlifting 250 for reps and pressing 125lbs but since my trap injury I consider all my lifts much lower.

Also I am generally unactive except for the gym. So maybe some cardio on offdays could help.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

idk what you're on. i gave my girl the book and she bulked up in all the right ways.

It starts off on a heavy squats/DL routine and goes from there in a variety of cycles, with focus on certain funcitonal movements that change up to add variety and make it fun rather than revolve around four specific lifts.

It's not designed for fitness nerds who believe rippetoe is god. It's for girls with short attention spans and no desire for in depth nerdery.

But whatever, if you think your girl is gonna track calories/stick with SS go for it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. jarude

jarude Senior member

do you follow a set macronutrient ratio? say, 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats? or do you just eat "healthy?" eating "healthy" is a shitty way of doing things, no offense. if you want consistent fat loss or muscle gain over a period of time you simply cant "eat clean" and expect to meet your goals. you must count calories at least initially if you want quantifiable results.

what i mean by dialing your diet in is sticking to a particular number and ratio for a set amount of time, evaluating the results, and continuing from there. from the sounds of it, you aren't. quantify what you eat in terms of total calories and macronutrient breakdowns, see what happens, and adjust upwards or downwards based on your goals.

for example, say you eat 2000 cals at 40p/30c/30f, that is 200g protein, 150g carbs, 67g fat. you do this every day for two weeks, and you end up losing weight. if you want to continue losing weight, keep on keepin on. if you want to gain weight, adjust upwards to 2300 or so. see what happens.

this stuff is actually really simple if you do some research. be consistent though, flip-flopping will get you nowhere.

as far as girl fitness goes, feed them some womens health shit or whatever. my experience helping out girls has been disastrous; like GN alluded to they're all worried about deadlifts messing up their shins and dont like squatting because it brings out the tipsters in the gym. expose her to a bunch of stuff, SS included, then see what she likes and put something together for her. chicks eat up stupid shit like reverse twisting cable lunges onto bosu balls supersetted with alternating dumbbell press, and honestly if it gets her lifting, who cares.

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Did you look at the book or just give it to her? The book doesn't really go in depth about how to construct a program at all. The nutrition section, for example, starts with calculating out your caloric maintenance level and then...well, nothing. Then it just tells you not to subtract 500 kCals, start at maintenance (dumb) and run that for four weeks then "see where you're at". It doesn't tell you what that means or what you're supposed to do from there. It doesn't discuss any further where those calories come from, if I remember correctly. No discussion on macro breakdown aside from some general tips about stuff not to do (some of which are great and some are crap). Then it gives you a couple dozen recipes and some 'sample diets' without any explanation whatsoever as to how those sample diets were constructed. I paged through the chapter two or three times because I thought I missed a crucial section; I didn't.

The lifting prog they design has some good stuff, but also some ridiculous garbage that I'll post about when I have the book in front of me. Yes, it has some good stuff like squats and deadlifts, but it has a lot of other dumb stuff in it.

Also, the guy makes the assertion that "cutting calories and increasing cardio is like telling your body to increase its metablolism while lowering it which makes no sense". This is a dumb point. The entire point of cutting calories and increasing cardio is to adjust your deficit, something he doesn't even address in the fitness section. Yes, you can slow your metabolism, but barring a massive deficit this happens slowly over time, and by the time your metabolism lowers to a problematic point you take a week off. So this guy really doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

It's not really in depth nerdery to show people how to calculate their maintenance level and macros, put together a simple lifting program, then show them how to adjust it over time to maintain progress.

She's already squatting pretty heavy (almost squatting BW if I remember correctly) and doing some other stuff. I think she can handle it. I don't know if I want to give her this book, tbh. There's some good tips in it but I don't want her to get sidetracked by all the bad stuff in it.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Okay, I will start tracking all my meals for this week and see what I get. All my meals I prepare are based around a ton of protein, some carbs, some fats.

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

Coldsnap, that's a lot of protein..

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

On my cut, training days, I ate 370g carbs.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yes. Superb shoes, worthy of recommendation.

this is excellent advice. say for cutting you really want to be able to hit that sweet spot where you're putting down enough calories that you can lift heavy and with a high intensity but still be at a light deficit. because that'll get you lean and not make you dyel-mode.

also say goodbye to mendes in london, dude busted for HGH use.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Okay. Yea that was a lot of protein, I probably should have left out an egg. I'm gonna post a whole look at what I ate today later.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Benadryl is shit for OTC sleep aid. Use melatonin supplements (3mg or 5mg. Knowing Fuji he'll take like 20mg and sleep for 36 hours). Way less hangover.
    Edit: If benadryl makes clen work better through a non-sleep aid path then yeah, go with that (I know nothing about drugs)

Sucks for Mendes, but good for the sport to get cheaters busted.

Edit2: I seriously doubt that it would matter, beyond calories, to eat "too much" protein.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

16 to 12 is really not that hard. from 12 to 10 is tough and i hear 10 to 8 is really really tough.

just make sure to record your calories. eat lots of protein and veggies. eat more carbs on workout days. and be patient. and dont give up. and dont binge eat just because you broke a little part of your diet.

also dude swiss chard and spinach dont have to be things you have to force in your mouth. chop em up and saute em with some butter or chicken fat, then add chicken stock, garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, maybe some red pepper flakes and then simmer for 20 minutes. that shit is delicious. no joke.