Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i did add the just kidding part at the end, in case you missed it

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I know i just figured i'd reassure my RHET buddies that I'm not going to go totally to the other side.

3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

There's nothing wrong with kipping pull-ups, box jumps, or high volume oly lifts, so long as your mechanics are sound and consistent. Crossfit gets a bad rep as a result of coaches and athletes who prioritize intensity over sound fundamentals, but that isn't the way the program is designed.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I cannot think of one good reason to ever perform high rep oly lift. Literally what purpose does snatching for 30 reps have?

5. GraphicNovelty

consistent power? I've done high volume KB snatches and I can't imagine that it's much different.

6. joshuadowen

You shouldn't think of strength training and conditioning training as completely separate endeavors. Moving heavy weights quickly for reps provides its own challenge. Having done 30 snatches for time before, it's hard, both physically and mentally. That being said, there are lots of people who have no business doing a workout like that. Without really solid snatch technique, it's a great way to hurt yourself.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

you get to put your name on the board with a magic marker. other than that, almost none.

@fit is shat upon (and rightly so) much because of inane coaches who don't know wtf they're doing.

e. did not want to commence another thread-diarrhea.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

New PRs today, LOL
    60kg snatch
    90kg cj

still sucking but getting better.
    i'm far too sore today for everything. hope it gets better in the weeks if my body gets used to it..

9. GraphicNovelty

Actually I'm curious to this idea. Besides the high volme oly stuff it seems like it's there to keep you moving at high-intensity.

As long as you do things in a non-idiotic way I don't see why it's not a bad way to get some intensity/conditioning.

Also knucks i forgot to tell you in WAYWT but we have similarly shaped legs and I think you should check out APC petite standards at TTS (which are already +2) or even TTS+1. It ends up being a very flattering slim/straightish cut for us short dudes with big quads.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

LOL. How big are your thighs?

11. GraphicNovelty

I think i measured at 23-24"? Havne't checked in a while.

Like i said you're sizing up 2 or 3 already. Plus APC's stretch like mofos.

12. joshuadowen

The high volume of poor coaching in Crossfit shouldn't be held against the premise as a whole. I've been very lucky to train at two of the higher quality Crossfit gyms out there, and have received very high level coaching. I cringe as much as any of you when I see people doing stupid shit with bad form.

High intensity training incorporating Olympic lifts is valuable, if the athlete can perform the lifts properly in a high intensity format. 5/3/1 style lifting is obviously more effective for building strength, but strength is only one aspect of well-rounded fitness. There is value in being able to move relatively heavy weights quickly over some extended period of time, and the only way to be able to do this is to train it. If the entirety of your training consists of low rep strength work with the occasional run, you are missing out on a large part of the equation.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Oh that's cool, mine are over 26.5". Thanks for the suggestion, but I will have to pass.

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

posting because SF is broken and it's the only way I can read what's been posted.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Good fit, but the problem with the PS is that the waist is too big (stretches, needs belt) while the thighs are tiny. I think I have a pair in sz. 30 that there's no way I can get into anymore.