Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

you're in for a rough university life if you cant deal with cold pizza

2. dressedforsuccess

dressedforsuccess Well-Known Member

Some may disagree with this, but try at first simply looking up towards the ceiling while doing your squats, should help bring your chest up and keep your back more straight. Once you have a hang of it, go back to normal. Cannot stress how important good form is with squats, not just for strength but for your health. I work at an ortho clinic, and we get a fair amount of people with back strains, many from squats. Not a pretty sight...

3. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Cold pizza > all

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

I look forward/a little up.

5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I get what you are going for here, but I have to disagree. The single most important aspect of squat form is maintaining a neutral spine. The reason it's important to keep your chest up is that this is a neutral position for the spine. By 'breaking' at the neck and looking up, your are just trading spinal flexion for spinal over-extension. It may seem preferable, but it really isn't.

I know this is the advice no one likes, but if you can't keep your chest up in a squat, reduce loading, mobilize your thoracic spine, and practice unloaded squat holds. By and large, problems with squat form are the result of insufficient mobility and/or insufficient strength. There aren't going to be a lot of quick fixes.

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Horrible day at the gym today, didn't have the energy to do squats so did shoulder press instead.

7. joshuadowen

This isn't the best image, but I'm posting from my phone:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...q=squat holding post&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=2

If you are having trouble keeping chest up in a squat, it's worth spending 10 minutes a day holding this position. Use the post (or a door frame, or whatever) to pull yourself into a good squat position. Use the support just enough to get into the right position, but not so much that you aren't having to work your core. Over time you'll get stronger and need less and less assistance, until you are strong enough to keep your chest up without assistance. Then move onto 10 minutes of unassisted/unloaded squat holds a day.

It's impossible to squat heavy with good form if you can't air squat with good form, no matter how strong you are.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

That link didn't pull up anything for me?

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

No man, this is exactly the kind of advice this threak needs.

kinda bummed b/c no training this wk, coach is in Antalya

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. joshuadowen

Sorry. I'll try to make it work later, but basically: squat in a door frame or in front of a vertical post. Grab onto the frame and use it as support to pull your chest up.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

I need to work on getting my chest up. It's gotten a lot better, but it's still not optimal. I'm sure its passable, but I'd like it a bit better. Another 5kg pr in my 8rm back squat, feels good man. Felt like I had so much energy today, wore a vest for the first time to the gym and didn't feel like a DYELer.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I wouldn't mind seeing this if you get the chance. I feel fairly confident in my upper back position, but it never hurts to be observant.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Got the free havens 3.0's for general athletic shoe (good for traveling especially).

Soles are pretty non-compressable. Slight heel-toe drop but nothing crazy (can still run with midfoot strike) but my run-runs will probably still be with my VFF's. Good lateral support for running around

They also look pretty cool.

Also, might start doing some Crossfit WOD's just to keep things mixed up/interesting.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

[​IMG]

jk

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Not gonna go full crossfit-tard, just conditioning work. A lot of it looks like bodyweight circuts.

For example, today's WOD is:

Run 800 meters
    10 rounds of the couplet:
    Pull-up, 10 reps
    Ring dip, 10 reps
    Run 800 meters

I won't kip or do an absurd volume of oly lifts or bust my achilles tendon jumping off a box.

I'm not an idiot.