Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Can you really pay attention to anything else on the screen than her?...

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

this, can't get a good shoulder tuck either.

i actually like flat benching, both guillotine and arched. i dunno how people have a hard time feeling it in their chest if they do a proper guillotine.

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Yeah I'm getting to that point, but I feel like I can get a larger ROM with DB's. Still do both, though.

What do you mean?

Girl I'm seeing wants to buckle down on her lifting/cardio and I'm trying to figure out what to rec. Was going to rec some modified form of SS, but any other ideas/resources?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

New Rules of lifting for women is good. I've started recommending the series for everyone who wants to lift. It puts forth its arguments really well, has good diet advice, has good periodization (starts with a compound-heavy strength routine, slowly adds volume, changes up the movements to keep it for getting boring).

While probably not as efficient as Starting Strength people seem trust it a lot more/find it intuitive/have fun. And the best workout routine is the one you stick with, so, yeah.

5. APK

APK Senior member

I haven't DB benched in a while, but I just "kicked" them off of my knees as I leaned back onto the bench to get into position. I think I was still doing this with 90's and not having issues getting set. The "tuck" jarude mentioned was still more difficult than when doing the flat bench.

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I've heard that book recommended a few times, I'm intrigued so I'll have to check it out, thanks for reminding me.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

scapular retraction; i always have to wedge each shoulder in bit by bit with dbs and it feels a little wonky whereas with a bb bench i can get really tight and unrack pretty easily.

8. dressedforsuccess

dressedforsuccess Well-Known Member

On the subject of flat bench...

315 5 times on flat bench today. Relatively pleased. Trying to get my max back up over 400.

9. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Ok guys. Had my friend film my squats today. I feel like my head position is too low and I look rounded in my upper back.. I switched over to low bar about 2 months ago and I'm still adjusting to heavy weighs just kind of resting against my back with pressure from my hands holding it in place. This is where I think the arch comes from.

Any tips to help improve of just feel more comfortable with the weight low on my back would be great.

Sorry the video is sideways...

*** Damn you dressedforsuccess for posting bench numbers for what I was squatting today. ***

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Get some better shoes, first of all. Your right foot/ankle collapses in.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i did sled runs today. those were sooooooooooo fun. i felt like dying afterwards tho. it was embarassing collapsing after i finished the last run, but i could not move an inch more

any of you guys do yoga?

i was doing l-sits today and i realized my hips and legs are very inflexible. i feel like doing yoga might help, but looked it up and it looks like there's a bunch of different types. no idea how to do this.

i dont care about the new age, opening up energy bullshit. i just want greater flexibility

12. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Ballet warmup exercises are better apparently.

13. dressedforsuccess

dressedforsuccess Well-Known Member

My old football coach actually made me take a couple yoga classes as my flexibility was terrible. It definitely helped a lot with flexibility, feel like it also helped a little with my strength training (think of it kind of like stretching). And I met some cute girls in the class :D but sorry, no idea on which program I did, our strength coach sent me to someone.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I do lots of yoga

Depends on how strenuous you want it.

Vinyasa: "Flow" yoga--pilates like, gets your heart rate up. I like this one the most because it's easier to get into the "flow" of the breathing/movements. The hottest chicks are usually in these classes too, and there's very little new age bullshit. Not a ton of long stretches though.
    Iyengar: More about stretching/alignment, lots of props. Not that strenuous. I'd recommend this one if you just want stretch.
    Anusara: More new agey, also alignment. Some fairly strenuous holds.
    Hatha: Slower, more stretchy/relaxing. Gets new agey. can be kind of boring.
    Bikram/Hot yoga- don't bother, it will make you miserable.

You have to learn the poses for it to not get exhausting. The way you distribute the weight is really different, especially downward dog--it really helps to flex/flare your lats to lock your shoulder into the socket.

EDIT: Here are better descriptions http://www.matsmatsmats.com/yoga/yoga-disciplines.html

15. knucks

knucks Senior member

Why?