Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Just curious how long did it take to progress to where you're at now? I did about that too, although I really don't like to weigh and measure my food so I never calorie calculated. I just ate a lot and when the scale stopped moving for a week I ate some more.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Had to go to the army gym today where my dad works. Everyones a fucking pussy there, fuck loads of machines as in an entire basket ball court there and 1 cage. Everyone wearing bels for everything, including hanging leg raises. Only box they had was a bit above parallel for me maybe an inch or 2. Had to use that for squats, was doing 160kg easily, Im really weak out of the first 2 inches of my squat, after that I explode up. How to fix this?

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

lol o jesus lol

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well the first year or two was shitty training. No squats, all chest and arms, didn't know what I was doing. Then I started doing squats/deadlifts with shit form for a couple years, then stopped and did bodybuilding type routine. Then for a couple years did IA's SPBR and a cycle or two of westside barbell - both which saved my life in terms of non-shitty programs. After ~2 years after I started, I hovered around 170-180 and 6-8% bodyfat for about 4 years.

But I would say that the bulk of my progress has been in the past 1.5 years after I signed up with John Pinder (my coach) and started training specifically for powerlifting. I slowly gained up to 194 (and hopefully still climbing). I've never been stronger, bigger (in terms of muscle mass) and leaner at this weight (I hover around 10%).

Calorie counting is one of the best things you can do in terms of progress and tracking your gains/losses. I suggest it for everyone.

Also, one big thing I left out - LIFT HEAVY, LIFT WITH GOOD FORM.

5. mrchariybrown

Haha, he actually has a good point there. A lot of people have trouble digesting dairy (some people don't realize it). And trouble digesting dairy can fuck up digestion with other food you intake. I'm not saying dairy here and there will fuck you up in terms of progress. But a gallon of milk a day (or even half of that) can mess up your digestion of other foods if your body can't process lactose very well. And in the long run, it'll hurt your progress.

But the even better point he brings up is.. why drink milk (ugh) when you can eat bacon (YUM).

6. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

i liked gomad when i started lifting largely because it was cost effective at ~$3 for 2400 more calories. lactaid pills are my dear friend though.

7. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Do paused squats, imo. That really helped when I was stuck at the bottom. charly recommended it to me!

On the subject of belts.. saw a guy on an assisted squat machine do a belted 95 pound squat. um. ... yeah.

8. APK

APK Senior member

Social media makes it so easy to tell which people physical activity is a novelty for. No, guy, I don't need a blurry picture of your container of whey protein and I don't need to hear about your "three-hour workout."

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

I hate when people post about there workouts on fb and there little posed bro photos and its like mate, do you even lift?

10. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

How did you find your coach?

11. APK

APK Senior member

Here.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Lactose-free milk is the only kind I can drink. I use lactaid pills for ice cream and other dairy products.

13. mrchariybrown

Well, I can't knock the cost savings of doing iot that way.

I'm the same way. I've got a whole stash of lactase pills up in my cabinets. And I have a couple pills on me at all times in case I run into yummy dairy I would like to consume.

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

assisted squat machine = smith machine ?

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think he means a hack squat.