Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

After reading the Programming chapter of SS I’ve been a bit put off. He recommends up to 6000, though I think that might be excessive for my goals. I’ve dropped down to 125 pounds (my height is 5' 11"). I do no physical activity whatsoever at the moment, and I generally feel like shit and have no focus in my life. My clothing fits like shit. My goal weight is 70kg (154 pounds). I don’t know, maybe if I reach that I’ll realize I’d look and feel physically better with even more, though right now all I want is a little more.

So does starting at 3500 calories and maybe, half a gallon of milk, sound like a waste of time? I don’t care if it takes a bit longer. I’m hesitant at going from < 10% BF to > 20% BF. I know what Rip would say: “YNDTP”. It doesn’t help that my horribly low self-esteem, general anxiety, along with recent unemployment, is probably clouding my judgement. Maybe I’m just being a pussy.

I’d get hammered if I posted this on SS forums that’s for sure.

Also, say I hit the 70kg and I’m happy with it: is it going to be difficult to maintain that weight without continuing to lift weights? I’d like to take up swimming some time (just laps), though cardio at my current weight is out of the question.

Also, lifting thread? I couldn’t find anything when I searched.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Maple, as someone who did SS for 6 months and consumes everything Rippetoe puts out I can give you some advice. I was 5'7 139lbs and I thought I was skinny as fuck, I couldn't imagine 5'11 125lbs. But it sucks starting at that low of a bodyweight because everything is heavy and it's hard to eat. My guess is you have the skinny fat syndrome that most girls have, I'm not saying this to be mean but I'm just pointing out the fact that your body fat % might be higher now than you ever will be. You are over thinking all of this, at that height and body weight your goal needs to be lift as much as I can with the best form I can (SS comes into play) and eat a fuck ton of food. Do you know how much 6,000 calories is? It's a shit ton of food that I would probably bet that you wouldn't even be able eat because of your little bird stomach. Your going to have to work up to eating a ton of food just like working up to moving a bunch of weight. I probably have a similar body type to you and the good thing about having a body that wants to be a skinny weakling is that you will always be on the lean side, I gained 30lbs in a few months and I'm much leaner than my friends who I was gaining weight with at the time. Good job with willing to drink a ton of milk too, I think SS can't be done without the milk because the increases in weight on the bar will outpace the weight your gaining.

Also yes if you stop lifting weights you will loose a bunch of mass. Once you get into the swing of things in the weight room and gain some weight you won't want to stop anyways.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. knucks

knucks Senior member

Please do not drink a half gallon of milk, either.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im guessing you're doing this for aesthetics. Do not know why anyone who wants to look good does SS and follows the diet ripptoe says. He himself cares he designed the program for strength all it's going to do is give you massive legs and glutes with a small fat upper body.

5. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Reason he recommends that is because people usually do the program and eat nothing. When i say eat 3500 calories, i mean literally, track every calorie and make sure you never eat less than 3500. Most people think they eat a lot when they dont. Which is exactly what i did when i started lifting. My goal weight was 160lb, im now 187lb and not even close to being satisfied. Half gallon of milk does make it easy to hit target calories, so use it if you need to. It's a good program for getting a base of strength which you will need if you want to look good, but you will only be on it for maybe 3 months or so. You sound so much like me, and trust me it makes you look and feel a lot better when you are a healthy weight and have some muscle mass. When you are underweight you can gain weight so fast and you wont get that fat, its different to when someone starts off at an average weight then bulks, because their body doesnt have such a massive amount of growth potential like yours does.

Also, once you get started, quitting lifting wont be on your mind. It's addictive.

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Far as I know, this is the lifting thread.

Cals and fat, cals and fat. One thing to remember is that this *is* a fashion forum. As much as many of us look towards developing strength with a disregard for pure aesthetics, that is not the same as lifting / eating in a way which makes us blatantly look fat / bad.

Here's the thing - SS / Rippletoad use GOMAD to gain every touch of strength possible from the first 3-6 months. If absolutely maximizing potential strength early on is important to you, then you must gain fat during that period. Your current goals, as you've typed them, don't appear to align with SS / Rippletats. I would suggest that you eat more to support the program and that gaining scale weight is greatly beneficial and that whole milk is a great, cost effective, macro appropriate way to get there (assuming you can handle milk).

7. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

+1

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

the guy is 125lbs, you seriously think he can make up those calories with whole food?

9. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Milk doesn't make you fat anyway. Its all calories in > calories out.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I remember when I was starting GOMAD i told my coach it makes me congested and he was like would you rather be a skinny weak fuck or a snotty strong man. :slayer:

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

the shit are you going on about, about 900+ pages of lifting threak right here

also fuck gomad, srsly.

yes, I suggest to man up and eat some actual food. 3-4000 can be done, easily.

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks. I've had issues with my form for a few months but got it dialed back down working with some lighter weight last month. All the accomplished powerlifters (elite totals) I've asked say that I should have a 500+ squat by that date. It's nice to hear another guy tell me the same thing.

Yep, I like that calculator a lot. I use it all the time for fun :)

Appreciate it. For most guys, squats are anywhere from 75-100 pounds behind their deadlifts. But not their bench. Given how much you run, that's definitely taking it's toll (on all your lifts). Technique issues might also be contributing to it.

13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

It's not the milk making him fat I'm worried about so much as most people have a hard time digesting that much milk. There are plenty of ways to get in a lot of calories besides milk. Bacon, for instance, is a lot more satisfying and shouldn't cause any of the digestion problems.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll give you my experience since I was in the exact same boat as you in the beginning.

When I started lifting I was a frail 125 pounds at 5'11" also. I started at ~3k calories and watched the scale go up. Once my weight didn't go up 1/week for 2 weeks in a row, I would add 300 more calories. Worked for me.

15. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

So I guess Saturday morning is the time in my gym when all the huge bodybuilding guys come out. Was defiantly mirin.