Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

futons will fuck you up long term

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

It's a futon mattress 100% cotton stuffing on a platform bed. So it's super firm. My fried has been sleeping on them for 20+ years and has perfect posture

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

my bad, i thought you were actually sleeping on a couch

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

ah, that could be dangerous!

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yesterday did Military press 12 reps at 125 lbs, today I woke up at my traps were like HELLO DOUGLAS YOU WILL SLEEP NO MORE

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

goddamn coach-mandated snatch pulls off riser, did 5x3x100 yesterday, now my upper back has been replaced by an aching lump.

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

YES, finally got somewhere on my deads. This website helped me completely: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deadlift_setup.htm

The video, too. Basically, I was too close to the bar and wasn't getting my lats into it. Taking in a big breath while high, then spreading my lats and using double overhand instead of alternating made a huge difference.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Holy God I tried 1MR for the first time today...hit a new PR on bench press. Jesus it feels amazing. Just hoping the crash isn't as bad as everyone says.

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I've picked up a couple concerns with my DL over the Spring.

Inhaling to build tension across my abs is problematic when I am bent at the waist. This affects my DL and Squat.

I love mixed grip and don't know how to handle reading material that suggests alternatives. When I use mixed grip, my form improves. Somehow, I screw more deeply into the floor with increased tension.

Upper back arch. My head is looking more downwards over time on the DL. It's more comfortable, but I am not sure about correctness. Some concern about lack of upper back arch on the Squat, but not sure if it is legitimate. For some reason, this concern increases as I increase my upper back work to correct a mild cross arm syndrome and build more upper back mass.

Despite all these concerns, my Squat and DL are their best ever, but I suppose concerns arise as weight increases.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'm iffy on my fuelband. It doesn't track stuff super well--I get a lot more points from my commute than from some types of workouts. It's probably great for nike-approved sports (tennis, basketball, running) but not so much for the shit i like to do (lifting, yoga).

It's still a pretty cool watch though.

11. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

You can't create core tension effectively once you are under load or bent over. Instead, all this tension should be created while standing up straight, in front of the bar, before you bend over to pick it up. Standing there, you squeeze you ass in order to externally rotate your hips, take a big breath in, squeeze your core like you are about to get punched, and THEN bend down to pick up the bar while keeping everything tight. As you are experiencing, if you try to get tight once you are in the pulling position, it's a lot more difficult.

Upper back arch. My head is looking more downwards over time on the DL. It's more comfortable, but I am not sure about correctness.

The important thing here is to keep your head "neutral." Any craning your head up or down has the effect shifting your spine out of a neutral alignment. This in turn makes it much more difficult to maintain tension throughout the system. Try to think of it not in terms of where you are looking, but in terms of the relationship between your head, neck, and body. When you are standing up straight with good posture, looking straight ahead, your head and neck are in a neutral position. This relative placement should be kept intact as you bend over to pick up the bar, and as you deadlift the bar up. In effect, this means that you'll be looking at the floor at the start of your lift, and straight ahead at the top of the lift.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

It only tracks movement, right?

I ordered a bodybugg(supposed to arrive today) on the premise that it is supposed to measure calories burned regardless of what activity you're doing. BodyMedia is supposed to be similar.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's why you inhale at the top of a squat. And inhale before you reach down to the bar for deadlifts.

Use mixed grip if it works better for you. If you keep your arms straight, it's not a really big deal if you pull conventional. But if you're a sumo puller, a hook grip will help reduce helicoptering. But once again, not a HUGE concern.

Looking forward and down is the proper way to start a deadlift for conventional pullers. Sumo pullers sometimes look a bit up, but that depends on the puller and how deep he/she gets in the starting position.

But I'll say one thing, imo arching your upper back on the deadlift is probably one of the stupidest things you can do (for strength/leverage). A neutral or curved upper back is better.

Upper back arch on squats are helpful to teach you to stay tight and upright as possible.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

pretty much. It tracks movement and converts it into nikefuel, which is a pretty vague metric but like, whatever. It gets me to go do shit.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

Had to carry some drunk bitch in the fire mans carry like a mile whose house I was sleeping over. Dat functional strength.

Agree with the upper back rounding thing on deads. As long as my stomach is being forced into the belt and my lower back is tight I don't really care what my upper back is doing as long as im not like straight leg deadlifting the bar.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012