• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

kgfan5

Reaction score
there are some truth to it but i wouldnt say in general that someone who's cut and lean are weak.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
It was less about being cut, and more about having no core strength. There's a difference between being lean and having a small waist.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer is fast approaching. I'd rather slim up and look better than keep my power lifter gut hanging out for the beach. I'm not a competing for anything, I workout to look good and be healthy. It also gives me something to work towards. I wanted to be strong so i did it, now I want to be slim and cut up again.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why? There is actually a lot of truth to that picture/info.

I agree that there's plenty of true things, namely that the strongman competition lifters are going to lift more than the bodybuilding competition lifters. The implication of posting that picture in the middle of this conversation, though, is that the participants are trying for one over the other. From previous posts in the thread, nobody is lifting with a bodybuilding regimen. Wanting to look better (for however you define better, be it more muscular, aesthetically proportioned, etc.) is, I would guess, why just about everyone starts exercising. Talking about training regimens that are extreme on either end (high definition lifting versus big muscle lifting) to be of no use is just a ploy. My ideal ground, as I'd bet most people here, is somewhere in between: strong enough for the things I like to do, and also look good with my clothes off.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is going to be my program modified from 5/3/1

3 days a week

Mainlift
Mainlift 5x10 50% 1 RM
Isometric hold
Abs
Abs isometric hold
Lower back
HIIT on day 1 and 3 (15s hard, 45s easy x 5, 30 min easy bike, 30s hard 30 second easy x 5) - might use weight sled
Stretch

probably some whey before and after. maybe some oats before
target time for day 1 and day 3 is 2 hours. day 2 is 1 hour
main lifts will be deadlift, bench, and OHP and will follow 5/3/1 mesocycle

main goal is to develop better bodyweight skills. I want a V-sit, planche, and press to handstand. I think part of that needs to be to get more lean hence the HIIT. The HIIT is also for aerobic conditioning

Diet will be high protein low carb low fat lots of seasonal veggies. some carbs on workout days. occasional beer. going to evaluate at 2 weeks and see if i need a cheat meal.

also going to walk in the morning for 30, 40 min on yohimbe, l-tyrosine, and caffeine

i kinda want to do oly lifts one day a week but might be too much. going to evaluate at 2 weeks

now somebody **** on my plan

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't get too enamored with the V-shape:

counterpoint, thanks to eason:

2v8049h.jpg

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is going to be my program modified from 5/3/1
3 days a week
Mainlift
Mainlift 5x10 50% 1 RM
Isometric hold
Abs
Abs isometric hold
Lower back
HIIT on day 1 and 3 (15s hard, 45s easy x 5, 30 min easy bike, 30s hard 30 second easy x 5) - might use weight sled
Stretch
probably some whey before and after. maybe some oats before
target time for day 1 and day 3 is 2 hours. day 2 is 1 hour
main lifts will be deadlift, bench, and OHP and will follow 5/3/1 mesocycle
main goal is to develop better bodyweight skills. I want a V-sit, planche, and press to handstand. I think part of that needs to be to get more lean hence the HIIT. The HIIT is also for aerobic conditioning
Diet will be high protein low carb low fat lots of seasonal veggies. some carbs on workout days. occasional beer. going to evaluate at 2 weeks and see if i need a cheat meal.
also going to walk in the morning for 30, 40 min on yohimbe, l-tyrosine, and caffeine
i kinda want to do oly lifts one day a week but might be too much. going to evaluate at 2 weeks
now somebody **** on my plan

if you have any remote interest in bodyweight training, buy the book "convict conditioning."

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i already have it and like it a lot, but i feel like combining weights and bodyweight is more effective than bodyweight alone

actually i got it because you recommended it so highly

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
consider the body type of Lu

milo194-cover_lg.jpg

tumblr_ldcgbwHPGW1qa2twxo1_500.jpg

I'd be kinda hard pressed to say his midsection is blocky and this is one insanely strong dude.

seems to be a bit of a false dichotomy there.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fuji started it with all the talk of getting ripped and tanning

Lol I can't tan right now few days of nice weather have ended, forever pale asian.

No ***** given if having a small waist reduces how functional I am. As much as I love squatting and getting PRs I don't really care how functional I am, don't really do anything physical outside of the gym, main concern is looking good. After going out with my zyzz level gym bro and loling as he told good looking girls that he wasn't going to talk to them because they weren't good looking enough for him to sleep with, I will disregard strength and try to maintain sub 10% bf year round. Still gonna squat multiples times a week.

Last edited:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe you've mentioned that you are in college, correct? The above is an appeal to authority and does not contain an argument for or against prowler work. The quote is super ******, too, and I'm not surprised you didn't bother citing it.

No, not in college anymore. Do whatever you want, man. If doing prowler work makes you feel athletic, so be it, but answer me this: Why do you lift weights?
consider the body type of Lu
milo194-cover_lg.jpg

tumblr_ldcgbwHPGW1qa2twxo1_500.jpg

I'd be kinda hard pressed to say his midsection is blocky and this is one insanely strong dude.
seems to be a bit of a false dichotomy there.

He seems to be an exception, though.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My only concern is that it's almost a full time job maintaining that physique. You rarely see any guys with body builder type physiques that are in there 40s because that **** just takes so much time and any self respecting man has bigger priorities. But you do see dudes still power lifting well into their 40s who look really good. It's just much easier to walk in; foam roll, do your 5/3/1 numbers, some accessory lifts, stretch and walk out under an hour. Not to mention diet, where mine has just been eat high quality food whenever I'm hungry.

Another thing which I have noticed is that most people dont have the time / discipline to do the bodybuilding thing correct but it is so deeply routed in what americans do as a workout. They spend 8 hours at a desk with their hands on a horizontal plane then they go to a gym and do the exact same motions (bench and curls) that they have been doing all day at work. So they cut corners and end up with a skinny body that they perceive as looking strong. My best example of this is Paul Walker in fast and the furious series, my friends and I re watched the series for fun and were constantly making comments that Paul Walker is the epitome of the american weekend warrior physique who perceives themselves as being jack and strong. It especially stands out because he is next to Vin Diesel and then THE ROCK, yet his character is still portrayed as equally tough and dangerous as the other guys.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only concern is that it's almost a full time job maintaining that physique. You rarely see any guys with body builder type physiques that are in there 40s because that **** just takes so much time and any self respecting man has bigger priorities. But you do see dudes still power lifting well into their 40s who look really good. It's just much easier to walk in; foam roll, do your 5/3/1 numbers, some accessory lifts, stretch and walk out under an hour. Not to mention diet, where mine has just been eat high quality food whenever I'm hungry.
Another thing which I have noticed is that most people dont have the time / discipline to do the bodybuilding thing correct but it is so deeply routed in what americans do as a workout. They spend 8 hours at a desk with their hands on a horizontal plane then they go to a gym and do the exact same motions (bench and curls) that they have been doing all day at work. So they cut corners and end up with a skinny body that they perceive as looking strong. My best example of this is Paul Walker in fast and the furious series, my friends and I re watched the series for fun and were constantly making comments that Paul Walker is the epitome of the american weekend warrior physique who perceives themselves as being jack and strong. It especially stands out because he is next to Vin Diesel and then THE ROCK, yet his character is still portrayed as equally tough and dangerous as the other guys.

Like a wife who doesn't need to see muscles to want shagging.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads