1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anybody use one of those stick rollers as opposed to a foam roller? How well do they work? I'm thinking about taking one with me on the road. Seems like the perfect compromise.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

When I used to do speed work I'd do like 20 doubles and when my leg training was more hypertrophy orientated I'd do like 10x10 sometimes. Don't think it's intrinsically bad to do that many sets.

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I have a Tiger Tail. It's nice to have handy for quick workouts on my business trips.

5. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

These guys were doing like 12-15 reps. Even still, I don't think it's really the best way to get about hypertrophy...plus, they were using the only GD rack for about 45 minutes.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lol on my squat days I take up 1 of the 2 racks for about an hour.

7 total sets of squats(2 warmup, 5x5 working sets)
    4 sets overhead squats
    4 sets standing overhead press

And not a single shit was given. There's not a single person at my gym at the time that I go that uses the squat rack for its intended purposes. For that reason, I take my sweet time.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

On another note, I'm up to 187 pounds from 164 two months ago. 13 pounds to go! I'm hoping I break 200 by Halloween. From there, I might recomp or just say screw it and shoot for 220 by 2013.

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

It takes me almost 8 sets just to warm up and at times may be hitting as many as 15 total sets. On days where I'm focusing on work capacity I'll do 25 sets of 2 box squats against the clock. Hell my squat crew will use the monolift for 2 hours if the group is big. Luckily we have 2 monos and a rack though for anyone else who needs access.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:slayer: nice work

1 person likes this.
  10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

finally met the elusive HIT jedi. guy came in in street clothes, put 120 on the bar, horrible hitched dl for a single, then 150 for a single, then 180. out for 5 minutes (beer and a smoke perhaps?), came back did this weird dl-reverse curl - press -walk maneuver, for you guessed it, a single. out again (smoke and brew #2) and back in 5 did a row w/ 100 for a single. then out the door.

also every time he came back he had a different shaker with different color liquid in it.

11. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

Oh, I have no problem with people using a rack for a long period of time, assuming there's more than one and they're not wasting everybodys time by doing useless BS. If they're doing shrugs in the rack, they deserve a slap (same for curls).

The gym here just has one incline rack so when people hold it up for an hour, it's pretty obnoxious, especially when they're doing over 10 work sets (came in the middle, so excludes warm up sets) of high reps with shit form. But when people do real squats for high volume, I have total respect.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

What are those even for?

knucks....where are the safety pins? Doesn't that squat setup seem a little dangerous?

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its like a slimmed down version of a foam roller. You just hold each end of the stick and use it to roll out your muscles.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

he has bumper plates. just let em go and jump away before you get crushed.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

When someones doing shrugs in the rack I just ask them to put the bar on the outside pins. Can usually still squat.

I take about an hour to do 5 working sets and 5 warm up sets. Max out erryset.

16. jarude

jarude Senior member

Badical stuff knucks

Coldsnap, as far as daily protein intake goes, 1 tub cottage cheese, 8oz meat, and 6 eggs is my baseline and brings me to about 150g a day. Past that, its pretty easy to fill in the remaining 50 (200g minimum) with a different cut of meat or yogurt or something and then all of the random bits of protein in bread, cheese etc bring me to 230 which is my sweet spot. Havent needed whey for a couple months now. If you have a daily standard of easily prepared protein your life will be much easier - scrambling to fill your intake at days end by slamming cans of tuna is neither sustainable or enjoyable.

Random thought: bands own. Bought a set to keep at work and my joints have never been happier. 100 #1 band pullaparts daily = happy shoulders.

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk

17. knucks

knucks Senior member

No

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

unnecessary for bumpers

e. slow
    e2. for moar examples see my gym pic poasted a long time ago

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How do you eat a tub of cottage cheese a day?

20. gort

gort Senior member

Are you using any protein powder? Egg beaters?