1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gort

gort Senior member

Yes, never lost it.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

To those people using John. Are you using fitday mobile app? It lOoks like trash, I'd rather use this other app.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

fatsecret is my mobile app of choice

tweaked my knee doing sumos today, sucks. did some some band reverse leg extensions / terminal knee extensions and it felt better, but man am i ever worried about blowing a knee out. shit would suck so bad.

does anyone have experience with minor knee issues? obviously gonna run it by the coach, but i think laying off max effort deads for a week or so would be prudent. i am actually getting pretty pissed off at my sumo form, i never had an issue with it a few months ago but now its driving me nuts. putting arms perpendicular to the ground leaves my ass so low i can't drive the bar off the ground; if i bring my hips higher i can stiff-leg/low back it off the ground and lock it out easily but a) thats what tweaked my knee today and b) i feel like its the path of least resistance which is not the best leveraged position right now

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  4. APK

APK Senior member

Agreed Fitday mobile app is lacking. Doesn't really bother me, though, since when I'm good about logging my food, I do it a day or two ahead of time since I find it easier to adhere to calorie/macro targets that way instead of compiling as I eat throughout the day.

5. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Squatted 615 yesterday with a giant camber bar. Came up quick and had lots more in the tank which is good to know. Going back to 5's for the next few weeks looking to do 3x5 with 525, 535, 545, 555, then moving to 3x3 with 565, 575, 585, 595. Bars may change between camber, buffalo bar, and straight bar. Weight is down to 185 (need to get this up some for worlds). Not a bad weekend of training, hope others had similar success.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Im gonna blow my macros so hard the first few weeks. I can't structure a well balanced meal with maros to save my life.

Also is there an olympic weightlifting trial?

7. APK

APK Senior member

Use swole.me if you're that stuck. Once you plug in the calories, macros and "acceptable" foods, it's really hard not to come close to what you're suppose to intake that day.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What's the point of using different bars?

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

I used a cambered bar to teach me how to stay more upright and give my shoulders a break. I don't know why people use buffalo bars though.

10. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I get why a cambered bar is makes back-squatting easier on your shoulders, but in what way do you think it teaches you to stay upright?

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Since the weight is positioned by your hips when you use a cambered bar if you fall forward the weight is gonna swing out really far infront of you. Much more so then with a straight bar so unless you stay upright you'r gonna get pinned.

12. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

I'm at 59.2kg now. That's about 1 pound (or .5kg) a week. I've started becoming hungry between meals (I eat 3 big meals and a post-workout shake). Squat keeps going up.

Typical day:

2 x fried eggs, a tomato, a bacon rasher, and 2 x wholemeal toast
    Orange

Chicken sandwich (200g chicken breast)
    Mayonnaise
    25g sultanas

Banana smoothie (1 cup milk, banana, whey, honey, peanut butter)

Chilli con carne
    50g rice
    50g avocado

150g reduced fat natural yogurt
    1/2 cup raspberries

2600kcal, 191g protein.

Re macros: I'm at 30/40/30. Is this big deal? I know everybody here says 40/30/30, but I'm eating over 1.5 times my BW. Reading material would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  13. gort

gort Senior member

I like myfitnesspal. I see fitday's mobile app is paid which is lame.

14. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Dont think macros are important for noob gains, minimum 1g/lb protein apart from that eat whatever you want within reason. As you start to get stronger then SS gets a lot harder and you will need to eat a lot more, probably enough to gain 2lb/week in order to keep forcing the lifts up.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

have to drop OL down to twice a wk, gym is closed for july. My coach knows the caretaker there so we can still lift there a few times, which is awesome considering.

prolly just snatch, cj and fs to keep some sort of technique in check.

have to fill the void in my schedule by doing some nonspecific shit at commercial facilities, as in squats pulls and some mobility stuff.

maybe throw in some curls

naw just kidding

but srsly last time I was in a branch gym I had some ambulocetus come at me for doing drop snatches with the bar. told me that the sound of my shoes hitting the floor was scaring her - this was with the music blaring at full blast plus some grunting dyels occupying the machines and what have you. 0/10 would not lift there again

16. fuji

fuji Senior member

wtf man is this real life? Im scared to go to a uni gym especially one where everyones a retard. Please have a squat rack, box and dumbbells past 40kg. Sister goes to the LSE gym, says I will be the strongest person there by far, with a 60kg squat she's stronger then most boys.

17. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

i guess this topic has been discussed multiple times, but what about straps for deadlifting? im a noob (do like 4 * 8 at 110 kg), and at the last sets my grip is weak as fuck. Do you do hook grip, reverse grip or straps at that point? or focus on grip strength?

18. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

[​IMG]

19. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

hehe, sorry, i guessed there was some sort of consenus among the regular posters...

20. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Quote:Not to start a fight, but as a noob, you should really focus on grip strength. Straps have their place, but if you use them as a crutch early on, you'll have a much harder time later.