Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Haha I usually end up taking in FEWER calories when I go on a date. I went out last night and had a beef heart dish, some mussels, and goat stew and this morning I was damn near starving when I woke up. Between the cost of eating at restaurant and the desire to not turn off the women by stuffing my face endlessly, on most dates I eat less than I would eat by myself at home.

2. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

I was watching TV with my roommate (who doesn't work out) and one of those Crossfit Reebock ZigTech commercials came up. He said, "Is Crossfit, like, some combination of working out and dancing?"

I lol'd.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Nail on head

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think I'm going to take 2-3 full weeks off the gym and maybe more. My right shoulder hasn't been moving right for like 3 months now and as a result my overhead press hasn't gone up in weight and actually decreased. I'm not exactly sure what my mechanical problem is with the shoulder, I had a massage therapist look at it for $40 and she said my lower trap is strained like crazy.. but she also said I was too flexible to be a powerlifter and a bunch of other stupid stuff so I take her diagnosis with a grain of salt. Truth be told though is that I have crazy crazy tight shoulders from olympic lifting and really bad internal and external rotation. So gameplan is to take a full week off icing and taking NSAIDS, then start doing some stretching / soft tissue work for a week, then doing some shoulder rehabilitation like scapula pulls, side laying external rotation, Ws, scapula pushups and a few other stuff. Sorta bumbed to take off this much time because I'm gonna loose a lot of composition because that's just how my body works. I might take up running just to keep me moving and I will still eat a ton.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

how can this even be possible, given that tight shoulders preclude you from the sport altogether. In my experience this is a sport where a lot of attention is paid to mobility.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Would highly recommend yoga during your off period - you'll still feel worked over and it should help with the mental side of being out that long. Best, and a speedy recovery.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

+1, how to snatch and overhead squat with tight shoulders? Sounds painful man.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I agree with you guys but you gotta look at it this way: you can have a loose posterior shoulder but you can have a super tight anterior shoulder. Go into an Olympic gym and look at the posture of a lifter their shoulders are tilted forward then test their internal rotation and it's basically zero, worse than baseball players. If you wana get an Olympic lifter to their knees just squeeze their traps. But going from a sport where I had such a torqued back to posterior movement to powerlifting which had more presses programmed I should have taken more time to get my anterior fixed up.

Ah good point with yoga. I will probably pick back up doing Bryan Kest yoga in a week or so.

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

+stability.

You can have all the mobility in the world, but if you're not stable in position, good fucking luck

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Going wide on the squats will probably hurt the groin

11. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

100% de agave tequila (none of that mixto jose cuervo bullshit), lime juice, agave nectar

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

+ Chicks in yoga pants

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

well duh, I was specifically wondering about this guys shoulder issues here.

and it's still weird. My coach has all our lifters stretch/SMR so much as to be a nuisance. I doubt you'd find many lifters at our gym with shoulder impingement issues. Far less shoulder/overall injuries in this sport than in say, powerlifting where they tend to be the norm.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I was surprised at how far apart and turned out he guides the feet for stance, is his approach commonly thought of as "wide?" I did find his instructions on hip drive to be very helpful, he basically tells you to imagine pushing up through a hand resting on your posterior.

15. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Complete waste of a week for lifting, stuck in a terrible hotel, poor selection of food, shit gym which i couldnt get motivated to use. Lost the weight that i gained since starting a serious bulk last week. Thankfully im almost finished my training and will be at home and able to use my own gym consistently. Need to start squatting again, hip flexor still feels strained in general but doesnt hurt on bodyweight squats. Demotivated that i will have to squat light for ages which means no strength gains.