Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I do it more similarly to this diagram than as if I'm prepping for a jerk.

[​IMG]

It rests right on top of my pecs and into my shoulders as opposed to right on my collar bone. Too uncomfortable.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah, i dont know how people have the bar on top of their collar bone. bar on the meat of the shoulders, 3 fingers under the bar about halfway to the rings, elbows up and away ya go.. maybe its a flexibility issue for some people? i was/am far more comfortable front squatting than back squatting. ive never done it as a main movement, but id be interested to see how it goes. i do bb calf raises in the front squat position and i read a nifty article about front squat shrugs which light up your rhomboids and upper back.

3. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Tired of paying for gym, going to buy a power cage. Cannot find any on craigslist but I've seen a couple for ~300 on amazon. Read complaints of paint chipping. I plan on putting this under a patio, so it won't be in direct rain but it will be outside. Is rust a concern in cage stability?

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

God, who knows. I'm sitting here debating this in my head. Can't ever truly know what another individual experiences, however it occurs to me that there are plenty of strength coaches who advise performing reps while form remains intact, while bar speed remains, and so on. Wendler says don't kill yourself on assistance, one needs to be able to recover from it.

I have failed benches, op's, and deads - never failed a squat - and currently benching without a safety so no more failing that. What is the measure of pushing hard enough? Failure can't be the answer, best to avoid those.

I think that is says something that several of us here got here via a fashion forum. I have never been athletic. Squandered the opportunities growing up and have never displayed any physical talent.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

If you do that, doesn't it create risk of injury when you lose tightness?

6. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

You really can't tell how much someone is trying... whether they're picturing someone with a gun to their head to finish the rep or if they're just tired and don't feel like doing another rep (I'm usually at the "pushing so hard, I have a vein popping out of my head and in danger of turning my anus inside out"). As APK surmised, I get stuck right at the beginning of the ascent (most likely due to weak as shit hip muscles). I've toyed with doing "squats" above parallel and I can move way the fuck more weight... but that's gay.

skitlets, keep checking craiglist regularly... in the last few months, I've seen a couple good racks go for cheap (one in Daly City and another in Napa).

7. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I don't have a truck to pick up =(. I don't mind buying used bench / weights but people are selling cages for a lot, granted all I've seen are commercial quality.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

My measure of pushing hard enough on squats is bursting blood vessels in my face or having my spotter grab me.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

can anybody post on how to increase hip flexibility?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

pussy

the cross-armed variant is pretty awful and the bar doesn't rest on your collar bone

people don't know how to FS

11. APK

APK Senior member

How do you figure? I remain tight during the descent, through the pause, and then through the ascent. When I was still getting the hang of these, I would briefly pause when parallel before dipping down further, but once you get the hang of it, it's more of a fluid motion down. At any rate, I don't feel as though I'm relaxing at any point during the squat.

I burst a lot of blood vessels in my nose three weeks ago during a set of squats. Oddly enough, I came back a week later and smoked all my sets with relative ease even though I added 10 pounds to the bar.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

If its hurting your wrists your holding it wrong. When using the clean grip I never have my arms perpendicular to my body, I always angle them out slightly so that my wrists aren't over my shoulder getting crushed by the bar.. I don't know how hard I push myself on squats, I do miss them occasionally when im training on low reps, with high reps I rarely go to absolute failure. I find the easiest lifts to go to failure on are deads and any pressing movement, can never bring myself to failure on a row so I just do really high volume.

13. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

They're not too bad. You should try overhead barbell squats.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

overhead squats aren't bad either.

nationals this w/end, have to drive 300km to see em and pick up some dudes long the way, but hey, what doesn't one do for one's hobby right :lol:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

You can typically rent a truck at Home Depot for not a lot of money.