Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Distinguished Member

feels old. feelsbatman. looks young. still get carded every time. not flattering anymore. just annoying.

Goal is to get my squat and dl caught up to my bench and ohp (only squatting 155x3x5 whereas bench is at 160 and ohp is at 110... results of previous curlbro routine). Started at 145# BW... weighed in this week at 168#. Was steadily gaining ~1lb/wk. Getting kinda fat too. Oh well.

Squatted 155 last Monday no problem. Repeated 155 on Wednesday because I wasn't happy with my form. Couldn't even finish my sets because my hips were still sore as fuck. fml I feel like the new gettoasty

>old
    >fat
    >weak
    suicidalfeelsbadmanfrog.gif

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

2. APK

APK Distinguished Member

Nice work, man. Look pretty lean already and appear to have a solid base to add a bit more lean mass to your frame.

Whoa, 32? I definitely thought you were younger than me (I'm 26).

3. stinger70

stinger70 Senior Member

You gained 23lb and you only squat 150? You're meant to add 5lb every week for at least the first 2 months. Sounds like you must have not been putting weight on the bar and pushing yourself hard, which must have lead to a lot of fat gain?

4. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

If you lift more than the person who designed it then its ok.

5. I<3Bacon

Trust me, I ask myself this every time I'm at the gym. I know how the program/progressive loading works. Before all this, I had never done a single honest barbell back squat in my life. Probably the first time I ever used my adductors for anything. During that few months, had to take a week off a couple times because of my adductors and flexors. Being as honest and objective as I can be, probably started close to 15%bf... closer to 20% now.

6. stinger70

stinger70 Senior Member

I feel you on the hip problems, same reason i gave up on it. Im shit at squatting but i still added just under 100lb to it in 2 months, and gained like 10lb less weight than you. Im guessing you havent posted up a video of your form, which might help. I would be worried if i gained that much weight and didnt get seriously stronger.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

FWIW, my experience was basically the same. Put on 40lbs and now at 175-180ish, was still only squatting 165lbs 5x5 and DL 210lbs 3x3. Conversely, I can bench 180lbs at 3x5 and OHP 110lbs 3x3. Lower body lifts have just always been tough, I suspect it is because my form blows. I have put on a huge amount of weight in my calves/waist but it doesnt seem to translate into great lifting gains.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

I really wonder if you guys are pushing yourself hard enough on each working set of squats.. :\

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

I assume that if I am fighting to get up from the bottom of the squat and could lose that battle at any time, I am pushing myself hard enough. However, I do think the reason for this problem is form related. I am trying to recover from a groin injury which happened while squatting. Will probably start from an empty bar doing high reps and work up slowly while focusing on form, maybe when I get back up to a higher weight, I will be better prepared for it. This was largely the recovery method advocated on the SS wiki.

10. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior Member

Going really light doesn't help so much. You need to be at a weight that will stress your body... If the weight is too light, you won't find your sticking point because it will be too easy, you can just power through it. Try a weight you can do for 10 reps, but instead do it for 5 with as large ROM and as perfect form as you can. Or whatever [weight x reps] you're sticking at, knock off 20-30 lbs and give it a go, again focusing on repeatability of good form. I do this from time to time, going down to under 300lb on squat and just spend a few sets of lower reps focusing on engaging the hips, breathing, knee tracking, depth, whatever wasn't working correctly and was causing issues.... if I go down too light, I'll never "feel" what's wrong because there won't be those issues at super light weights.

11. I<3Bacon

I think he's talking more about rehabing an injury rather than busting through a plateau...

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Distinguished Member

Front squats are fucking ridiculous, I can't get the hang of em.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Love them. I can't do a ton (only 145 or so on fronts b/c shoulders are still weak link), but it really puts a stress on the whole body just different from normal squats.

14. APK

APK Distinguished Member

You guys who are having trouble with your squats might want to give paused squats a shot. They're humbling, but they really do help if your sticking point is the beginning of the ascent. Getting parallel, going a bit deeper and THEN pausing for a couple of seconds will leave you with no room to cheat the movement.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Distinguished Member

I don't get the form whatsoever. I had it pushed way up against my neck, but it was still hurting my arms/collar bone where the bar was resting. My wrists hurt like a motherfucker even though I was trying to get my elbows pointed forward and kept in to keep them aligned. I just don't fucking get it, it's so damn awkward. I tried to figure it out for like 20 minutes and gave up.