Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Finally joined a gym so I can stop lifting at home and start doing squats. I don't have any gym clothes though, gonna be a week until I have any. How do people bring their supplements and shakes to the gym? Should I just take them before I leave the house. I don't mind taking pills before I work out, but carrying a shake around and having the powder resolidify sounds pretty rough.

I put my powders (BCAA's for pre and during WO) in a shaker and toss it in my gym bag. Then just add water at the gym.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Novice, intermediate, and advanced are indicators of your ability to recover from a workout.

A novice can only recruit so much muscle, so their body recovers in about 48 hours, and they can work out again with a little more weight. An intermediate recruits more muscle, and stresses their body enough that they need about a week to recover. An advanced lifter is anything beyond that.

Some people are stronger than others or have better recovery or they're older or younger, or something else, so one person at an intermediate lifting level may move less weight than someone else at a novice level. Those charts are kind of silly because of this.

And because of this, programming changes as you advance. Texas Method, for example, is an intermediate program, and uses weekly cycles: your heavy days are placed a week apart. Starting Strength, being a novice program, uses 48-hour cycles: you squat every other day, adding a bit more weight each time.

--Andre

3. APK

APK Senior member

That chart makes me realize how lacking I am in certain respects. Though to be fair, I've spent most of 2010 focusing on fat-loss type weight training programs (think stuff like the FL programs from the New Rules of Lifting or anything from Romaniello).

Now that I'm doing intermittent fasting, I'm actually sticking to a steady caloric deficit and dropping fat accordingly. I'm going to switch it up to a hypertrophy or strength program once I start a slow, clean bulk later this fall. We'll see if my numbers on those charts rise accordingly.

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I've been "working out" for a while, but training?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation that you've been training for 4 months and bench 250 and I've been going 18 months and don't want to say what I bench.

5. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation that you've been training for 4 months and bench 250 and I've been going 18 months and don't want to say what I bench.

If you look at the linked thread, he states hes been working out for 3 years, and other than squats and deadlifts (which were recently added), everything is working his upper body. Given that, its not THAT surprising that he can bench a lot.

Maybe his body is just better built for benching, I dunno, but there are a lot of things to take into account before simply discounting how much you bench after 18 months.

Graphic, do you like Wendler? It's pretty low volume compared to SS.

6. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

It is also a function of what you weigh. I weigh a buck thirty, so I may never bench 315, whereas someone who is 6 foot plus and weighs 225lbs may hoist up 315 without too much trouble.

7. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I don't understand this obsession with what other people are lifting (nor the need to show off at the gym).

Unless you compete, lifting is a very solitary activity. Even if you have a partner. It's a commitment to your body, to your physical progress.
    Everybody has to lift their own weight, at their own pace. Everybody has their own circumstances.
    Don't get distracted by what other people are doing. You can learn technique, sure, but let them lift their own numbers, while you lift yours.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Wow, that Prowler sounds like a killer contraption. Too bad it's so [​IMG] ing inconvenient. With a 2hr/day commute, going to a gym is next to impossible. Videos have saved me tons of time, and no gymrat dude-bros offering unsolicited advice.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Unless you compete, lifting is a very solitary activity. Even if you have a partner. It's a commitment to your body.

You ARE talking about lifting, right?

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I mean, my hypertrophy routine was fairly low volume for the "big lifts" (4x5) and I really pushed the weight. Also, I maxed out using powerlifter style (weight on traps) and i don't 100% believe that my spotter wasn't helping at all. Your problem could be form--for the longest time I wasn't pinching my shoulderblades and as such, I had a pretty low bench. Now that my chest is catching up to my really strong tri's/shoulders (built through years of shitty form [​IMG]), my bench has been shooting up.

If you look at the linked thread, he states hes been working out for 3 years, and other than squats and deadlifts (which were recently added), everything is working his upper body. Given that, its not THAT surprising that he can bench a lot.

Maybe his body is just better built for benching, I dunno, but there are a lot of things to take into account before simply discounting how much you bench after 18 months.

Graphic, do you like Wendler? It's pretty low volume compared to SS.

I do fairly high volume assistance work, plus, it's 4x a week instead of 3. I also like that I can still do curlz 4 tha gurlz [​IMG]

It is also a function of what you weigh. I weigh a buck thirty, so I may never bench 315, whereas someone who is 6 foot plus and weighs 225lbs may hoist up 315 without too much trouble.

I weigh 150. But I'm 5'6" so there's that.

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Lastly, I should mention that I've started training at the 5th avenue gym in Brooklyn (stomping ground of Kai Greene) where everyone there is super hardcore. Spending your rest time watching dudes squat 405 is pretty motivating as well.

12. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Motivation= eating gloves. I hurt so good.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I mean, my hypertrophy routine was fairly low volume for the "big lifts" (4x5) and I really pushed the weight. Also, I maxed out using powerlifter style (weight on traps) and i don't 100% believe that my spotter wasn't helping at all. Your problem could be form--for the longest time I wasn't pinching my shoulderblades and as such, I had a pretty low bench. Now that my chest is catching up to my really strong tri's/shoulders (built through years of shitty form [​IMG]), my bench has been shooting up.

I do fairly high volume assistance work, plus, it's 4x a week instead of 3. I also like that I can still do curlz 4 tha gurlz [​IMG]

I weigh 150. But I'm 5'6" so there's that.

250lb bench at 150lbs? That's really good. I can hoist up around 240 or so at 132lbs bodyweight, but my bench is unusually strong. I can't squat worth a damn... [​IMG]

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

5' 8" @ 154lbs, deaded my theoretical 1RM today at 265lbs. Feelin' good.

I've got long arms, I can only bench multiple reps 205 comfortably, 215 pushing it. My tri's and shoulders are probably the bottleneck.

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

5'9", 160lbs. Got a 375lb deadlift last week. I wanna get close to 440 by the end of the year.