Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

How do I stop myself falling forward on squats? I think it might just be habit because even with like 60kg I do it because I find the motion much more comfortable then trying to stay vertical. I don't get any pain from it, but its probably limiting my gains. Suppose it could be a muscle imbalance.

2. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

There is always some forward lean but yours may be excessive. Low bar or high bar?

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Very low bar.

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't do fast days now :)

Friday through Sunday cheat weekends :)

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

How you stay ridiculously lean whilst having 3 cheat days a week amazes me. Your like 8-10%bf right? Are you natty?

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

There is probably a lot of material out there on this issue. I would imagine the bar is not centered over your mid foot, which means your squat is inefficient / form is off.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/falling_forward.htm

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

All natural. ~10%.

I think my body manages to keep this steady composition because of the cheat days. It kicks up my metabolism like no other.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I'm thinking its this

"By having weak abs you may tend to fall into the squat too much as you sit back. If this happens every time you squat you will begin to develop a mental process of falling into the squat when you sit back. Regardless of what strength training changes you make this process will still be established. Finally you may have perfect technique until 90% gets on the bar and then all hell breaks loose."

I have pretty weak abs, also I have a problem keeping my lower back arched for long sets, not on a heavy double, but on like an 8 rep set. Might start using a belt again, don't think I had this problem when I was using a belt.

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

Front squats probably will help. Good mornings.

I know the EFS/Westside folk like to do seated good morning as well, I dont want to risk my lumbar though.

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

BTW charly/knucks/whomever else helped out earlier: nailed my DLs yesterday. Not sure what was different but I attacked my hammies with a passion last week and will continue to do so to play "catch up" with where I should be. Also pinching my scapulas/traps back helped maintain upright posture.

11. APK

APK Senior member

Yeah, once you've got your metabolism ramped up, splurges like that tend to help. Pretty sure mine is shit at the moment because I'm having trouble leaning out despite hitting my macros almost every day since the start of the new year. My morning temperature has also been regularly below normal. I'm finally biting the bullet and getting blood work done tomorrow to check thyroid and T levels even though I'll be paying out of pocket for it. Haven't had any blood work done in a decade, so if nothing else, it will be good to know where I stand.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

there's one good reason to keep carbs in the mix, excessive bouts of no-carbing really wreak absolute fucking havoc with ones thyroid levels

13. APK

APK Senior member

That was definitely me about a year ago, but I've been a lot better about consuming carbs in recent months regardless of goals. Sweet potatoes are an almost daily food for me now.

14. randomax

randomax Senior member

that post about pelvic tilt has made me realize that I may have it as well. Its not really my big butt that's causing my overcoats jackets to pop out of the vents, its the fact that my butt is tilted outwards. Need to work on it.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

Noob at the gym squatting like a retard, standard knee bend, bar too high, no upper back tightness, hunch back form with 60kg. Explained to him the proper squat technique, he replies by critiquing the fuck out of my form and telling me how dangerous it is to go low and how im gonna destroy my back if I fall to the left or right. Personally never fallen over to the side whilst squatting, don't know if thats really possible when you have a large weight on your shoulders. Loled at someone who squats less then half of my squat giving me form advice.