• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you know when it's time to take a break from weightlifting?

Today was the worst day at the gym I've had in a while. Stalled on squats again (far sooner than most people do)... only finished 3 of my 5 working sets before bonking out (actually got all my sets in 3 days ago at the same weight... just missed some reps). Started getting light headed and nauseated after a single deadlift at my working weight. Felt physically, emotionally, and mentally drained and defeated. Didn't even bother stretching before packing up and going home. Even with two full rest days, eating ~3000cal/day, sleeping 10hrs a night, my glutes and adductors were still sore. They haven't felt "fully recovered" in weeks... my bar speed has been pretty slow due to soreness (even my warm ups). Last rep of each set always turns into a squat-morning.

And I think I officially stalled on all my lifts at least once (with a major strength imbalance between my upper and lower body). /whinefest

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Whatever you want given your calories/macros at the end of the day are what you want.
Also, why do people still believe in the notion of "pre-workout" and "post-workout" bullshit. You energy levels and recovery and going to mainly depend on what you ate yesterday, the few days before, the week before, overall.
The best "pre-workout" is getting your diet dialed in and a cup of coffee.
If you're reading this and believe that your body is a finely tuned machine that has the capability of processing whatever you eat into energy an hour before your workout or if the hour after you workout is the "golden hour", you need to step back and do some research as to how the human body works.

Yes, doctor, thank you. I like to put a bit of food in my system before my workout. So, you know, I don't puke. And I still believe that eating after your workout is a smart move, despite evidence to the contrary. Does it have to be within a golden hour? No. But you should refuel. So shoot me.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, doctor, thank you. I like to put a bit of food in my system before my workout. So, you know, I don't puke. And I still believe that eating after your workout is a smart move, despite evidence to the contrary. Does it have to be within a golden hour? No. But you should refuel. So shoot me.

You don't feel more likely to puke the sooner you eat before a workout? You are a strange man. Every time I eat ~1 hr before working out and go hardcore it ends up making me feel like **** the rest of the day.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You don't feel more likely to puke the sooner you eat before a workout? You are a strange man. Every time I eat ~1 hr before working out and go hardcore it ends up making me feel like **** the rest of the day.

I'm a weird one. If I don't have something in my stomach I feel like I don't have anything to burn and then get kind of flagged and woozy, especially if I'm going hard. Not a big meal, mind you, just something that can be digested quickly.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's okay as long as you know I'm right ;)

Mandrake9072

Reaction score

How do you know when it's time to take a break from weightlifting?
Today was the worst day at the gym I've had in a while. Stalled on squats again (far sooner than most people do)... only finished 3 of my 5 working sets before bonking out (actually got all my sets in 3 days ago at the same weight... just missed some reps). Started getting light headed and nauseated after a single deadlift at my working weight. Felt physically, emotionally, and mentally drained and defeated. Didn't even bother stretching before packing up and going home. Even with two full rest days, eating ~3000cal/day, sleeping 10hrs a night, my glutes and adductors were still sore. They haven't felt "fully recovered" in weeks... my bar speed has been pretty slow due to soreness (even my warm ups). Last rep of each set always turns into a squat-morning.
And I think I officially stalled on all my lifts at least once (with a major strength imbalance between my upper and lower body). /whinefest

When was the last time you took a week off? I aim for a week off every two months. But if you're feeling physically, emotionally, AND mentally drained... that's your cue right there. Take a week (or two) off and focus on stretching/foam rolling tight spots and I'm willing to bet that you'll come back feeling great (make you're eating properly in the meantime)

Edit: FWIW, I received some great advice in this thread some time back about form breaking down... While on SS (Which I assume you're on... or SL), I wouldn't advance if my form was starting to break down.

Last edited:

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatever you want given your calories/macros at the end of the day are what you want.
Also, why do people still believe in the notion of "pre-workout" and "post-workout" bullshit. You energy levels and recovery and going to mainly depend on what you ate yesterday, the few days before, the week before, overall.
The best "pre-workout" is getting your diet dialed in and a cup of coffee.
If you're reading this and believe that your body is a finely tuned machine that has the capability of processing whatever you eat into energy an hour before your workout or if the hour after you workout is the "golden hour", you need to step back and do some research as to how the human body works.
I disagree one hundred percent.
Back-loading carbs is the best thing ever.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I can't really say that what I eat post work out matters, but I am strongly attached to my coffee and easily digested, low fiber, pre work out calories to keep me going.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is my chest measuring 44" when my bench is so small? Stretch marks are getting ugly though, inner quad and lats are rough.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads