1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

i don't do anything for arms at all.

occasionally i do chinups instead of pullups, but otherwise the only assistance work i do is strict standing military press. but that's not really assistance.

random thought; i've started doing a bit of intermittent fasting. Eat dinner at 6pm, go for a run around 9am the next morning, then i'm not hungry till like 2pm. It's great.

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I've dropped almost all curls out of my routine, I feel my arms are getting hit pretty good with heavy rows. If anything, I like having big forearms and not-huge bi's and tri's.

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Haven't done arms in ages. I do dips and close grip bench press... between those and chinups, diamond pushups etc. I think my arms get plenty of action.

4. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I just finished reading every page of this thread (over the course of a week or so). Some great advice in here.

5. Binker

Binker Senior member

I take more enjoyment from my arm days than any other than perhaps chest. Of course chest, back, and shoulder lifts all hit arms as a by product, but I do everything to minimize arm involvement on those days, as my goal is aesthetic and not necessarily explosive strength (which isn't to say the two are mutually exclusive). Is not doing direct arm work a point of pride for the above posters?

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

For me, its doing minimal arm work and having better arms than the Curly McChickenlegs i see at the gym that I take pride in [​IMG]

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I take more enjoyment from my arm days than any other than perhaps chest. Of course chest, back, and shoulder lifts all hit arms as a by product, but I do everything to minimize arm involvement on those days, as my goal is aesthetic and not necessarily explosive strength (which isn't to say the two are mutually exclusive). Is not doing direct arm work a point of pride for the above posters?

Not at all.

Also, i really don't think arm work is aesthetically pleasing. When they are done as a by product of other lifts, they get bigger in proportion to other things.

there are heaps of dudes with big arms who just look like gorillas, especially if they're short. Much better to keep them in proportion.

The most aesthetically pleasing area exercise is military press IMO. All clothes fit from the shoulders.

8. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

The most aesthetically pleasing area exercise is military press IMO. All clothes fit from the shoulders.

co-sign this.

9. Binker

Binker Senior member

Also, i really don't think arm work is aesthetically pleasing. When they are done as a by product of other lifts, they get bigger in proportion to other things.

or perhaps they don't, because maybe they aren't being hit enough. direct arm work does not necessarily result in disproportionately large arms any more than not doing direct arm work necessarily results in proportionate arms. my arms are actually quite small in comparison to my width throughout the body.

and I actually agree with you, I don't particularly like the look of big arms even on generally huge people. i think wide and big throughout the body with smaller, defined arms is a generally more appealing look

10. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

The biceps get hit alot more with the core lifts than the average gym rat thinks, as long as they are doing them properly. But I don't think that doing dedicated arm work is something to neglect just because they are being worked indirectly through other lifts. You wouldn't drop all specific work for the hamstrings just because they are targeted through deads and squats would you? I believe a well rounded program should include direct arm work as having strong biceps and triceps is integral to overall strength. Just don't overdo it to the extent it has a negative effect on the recovery of your larger muscle groups.

/xenox

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

or perhaps they don't, because maybe they aren't being hit enough. direct arm work does not necessarily result in disproportionately large arms any more than not doing direct arm work necessarily results in proportionate arms. my arms are actually quite small in comparison to my width throughout the body. and I actually agree with you, I don't particularly like the look of big arms even on generally huge people. i think wide and big throughout the body with smaller, defined arms is a generally more appealing look
    true, true. For the time being, i'm happy with where my arms are at. If they become ridiculously small i might have to add in some skull crushers or something.
    You wouldn't drop all specific work for the hamstrings just because they are targeted through deads and squats would you?
    I would and do.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Is not doing direct arm work a point of pride for the above posters?

I have just found that it is not necessary, since hypertrophy is not my goal. On a whim, I did a set of biceps curls the other day and curled an 85lb EZ barbell with no problem, which is more than I did before. Clearly, not doing direct arm work did not affect my arm strength.

13. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I would and do.

I think by doing that you're missing out on total posterior chain development. If you're not doing direct hamstring work through RDL's, glute-ham raises, lunges, good mornings, etc. you're creating a weak link in your training.

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

i've just started doing glute ham raises. not really targeted hammies though

15. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

There was an article on t-nation some time ago discussing an idea where (if I recall correctly) many guys who think their hamstrings are weak actually have some other issue.

Re: The guy who asked about my progress - Give me two more months. I took 90% of my 3RM's to play it safe, but the spreadsheet I used took another 90% of that without me noticing. So not a lot of progress, but I had been stagnated for literally MONTHS before switching to 531. In general:

Overhead Press 3x90 to 3x105.
    Bench 3x120 to 8x125.
    Squat 3x155 to 10x155.
    Deadlift 3x225 to 10x195.
    (edit - DL 10x205 today)

The lifts are embarassing, but I do weigh 140. DL is weird cause I strained my labrum (I think) in my shoulder socket and pulled a back muscle which took a long time to heal. I then dropped the weight way, way down in an attempt to retrain / regrow / repair all my connective tissue.

16. jarude

jarude Senior member

Did SLDL's off of a step today, damn. Funny how that extra few inches makes the exercise 100% more gratifying.

17. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I started test boosters 2 weeks ago when I figured that my test levels might be a little low (no energy, sex drive, and was majorly depressed and getting my ass kicked in the ring). I didn't see much of anything, but kept taking them. I don't know if it's them, or the ephedrine/caffeine that I started this weekend, or both, but holy shit. Starting 4 days ago everything just went right- the best workouts that I've had in ages, and I'd started cutting that day. The next day my body is fully recovered (except my shoulders, which were a touch sore) and I hit it again, then had an awesome cardio session. Yesterday was bad (forgot to eat and forgot about the ephedrine, which jacked my heart rate up really bad while working on wrestling). Today is awesome. I'm getting the lines back on my stomach even after eating, bench rep is up 10 lbs (still not an impressive number), and I haven't lost a pound. I've been eating super clean and busting ass, and it's been awesome. I may be able to keep the cut down to 2-3 weeks at this rate, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep fighting at welterweight.

18. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

There was an article on t-nation some time ago discussing an idea where (if I recall correctly) many guys who think their hamstrings are weak actually have some other issue.

Re: The guy who asked about my progress - Give me two more months. I took 90% of my 3RM's to play it safe, but the spreadsheet I used took another 90% of that without me noticing. So not a lot of progress, but I had been stagnated for literally MONTHS before switching to 531. In general:

Overhead Press 3x90 to 3x105.
    Bench 3x120 to 8x125.
    Squat 3x155 to 10x155.
    Deadlift 3x225 to 10x195.
    (edit - DL 10x205 today)

The lifts are embarassing, but I do weigh 140. DL is weird cause I strained my labrum (I think) in my shoulder socket and pulled a back muscle which took a long time to heal. I then dropped the weight way, way down in an attempt to retrain / regrow / repair all my connective tissue.

Would love to see that article as I feel like I have horribly weak hammies. Although, I think that is coupled with my horribly weak gleuts.

19. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

horrible training tonight, turned into one of those shitty ancillary muscle sessions, traps, rear delts and forearms.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I've been shitty about getting to the gym recently and so today I was feeling pumped and did the opposite: Mil. Press and Squat (Both 5/3/1 days). Busted out 6 reps for my final sets on both. Did 2x10x50% sets of squat before i felt like i was going to vomit up the chilli i had for dinner (which, while hardcore, would have been frowned upon at the local JCC)