Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

Miring

2. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

if you feel any pain in any movement, don't do it.

have you done the "empty can" test?

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Distinguished Member

Yep. Feels fine. Can resist pressure fine. Anyway, going to try OHP tonight with just the bar and see what happens (and exercise caution). At this point, I doubt I'll be benching anything on Thursday. Thanks for chiming in, knucks.

4. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue last year. My recommendation is to take a week or two off and do lots of shoulder mobility stuff during this time. That worked for me and I found that doing regular mobility stuff has really helped my shoulders feel much better in general. Seriously though if you feel pain just skip the workouts and do mobility instead. It sucks losing that gym time for sure but shoulder/knee injuries are not to be fucked with.

This warmup makes no sense to me. I'm assuming your intention is 3x5 of your work sets? If your form is falling apart drop 20% of the weight and build back up. Your time is better spent doing a little less weight with perfect form than shaking and falling. Plus if you're squatting 3 days a week (idk if you are, you should be) you'll build it back very quickly.

5. I<3Bacon

After testing the waters, I'm going to give OHP and bench a rest for a week.

On another note, there's this guy at my gym who's super nice, means well, and obviously pretty athletic, but he totally rolled on me with deadlift form advice that went against my better judgment (and Charly's advice) and he wouldn't leave me alone until I pulled a couple sets his way. All I wound up with was weaker pulls, two scraped knees, a sore back (not the good kind), and his thumbs up. How do I tell him to fuck off in the nicest way possible next time he does this? I go to a touchy feely new age yuppy gym where people get butt hurt easily.

6. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior Member

I go to a gym that's built into the workplace so I have to be careful about this too. A simple smile and saying "thanks for the advice man, I'll keep that in mind" or "I've worked with a trainer in the past" works.

7. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

what way did he say to pull

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

If you pull more than the guy, just continue doing what you're doing. On second thought, it doesn't even matter what your numbers are.. his way is obviously not ideal for you so disregard it. It's quite possibly the more polite solution here.

I'm anxious to snatch more just so I can dispatch advice bros with a cool "I snatch more than you deadlift, so please fuck off and/or die - oh and I think you left your balls on that FLEX magazine at the counter there".

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

9. fuji

Have such a hard time activating my lats. Always end up rowing with my traps and rhomboids? Any tips on how to get better lat activation? Felt unproductive today because it was back day and my backs not even sore really.

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

He probably told you to pull exactly the way he does.

A common problem with guys that love giving out advice (especially on deadlifts) is that they don't realize that their way to pull might not be another's way to pull. You got to work with the positioning and technique that gives you the best leverage and works the best for your body.

11. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

db rows with strict form. keeping the db "inside" (path from shoulder to hips, not flared way out ) and thinking about pulling my elbows back (not up) and exaggerating the squeeze to contract that entire side guarantees lats lighting up

12. I<3Bacon

Main difference was that he started and ended the movement with his hips really low... so it was almost like he was partially squatting the weight up. Doing it his way, I couldn't keep the bar path straight AND against my legs.

Anyway, thanks Mandrake9072. Your situation sounds significantly more delicate than mine.

13. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Think about retracting your scap, not pulling your elbows. You really don't need your elbow to go much past the plane of your back.

14. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

i think we do the same thing, you're just saying it in a different way

15. fuji

Yeah I know what you mean. I think ill keep doing DB rows with loose form and going really heavy, but do stricter form on other lifts. I get a really nice lat burn from facepulls. Obviously doing them wrong.