Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

toasty how much do you weigh?

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Solid nutrition today
    Preworkout sweet potato, 3/4lb of beef
    Postworkout about 80g of whey, 250ml of whole milk and an apple.

Sweet potatoes are great prework out food, starting to have one every day for breakfast.

Also leg hypertrophy day killed me, had a ridiculously hard time walking out of the gym. So much more volume then im used to. Standard leg day used to be 5x2 heavy box squats, 10x2 deadlift speed pulls and some good mornings if I have some energy left.

Today was

6x3 speed box squats
    3x8 box squats
    2x8 front box squats
    3x15 leg extension
    3x8 RDL
    2x15 leg curl
    3x20 standing and seated calf raises

Thinking the front squats are gonna take my deadlift up, feels just like the starting position of a sumo pull.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Shoes thing could be on to something.

Also, I don't know how I feel about shaking. Personally, I don't like it when I shake, however I don't know if it's bad, and I had a trainer tell me it means my stabilizers are weak on the bench. I have widened my bench grip, deloaded, and have begun to shake on the bench again after not shaking for like a year. Pretty sure the wider grip is doing it, but I don't know what it indicates.

Honestly, I have not read a single thing about shaking, so I don't know, but it could suggest you are working above your realistic limit. I don't know. I don't want to suggest pussy-fying your routine, but the thing is, I am really not so sure that everyone is destined to race to a bw bench, 1.5 bw squat, 2 bw squat on a linear program. Ironically enough, you and I seem to share a similar first few months lifting. I started lighter and sicker, but realistically we have similar builds and athletic histories (little to none) if I have your history correctly.

I can tell you, unless I am some kinda fuckup, which is certainly possible, a bw squat was an achievement for me. A bw bench took forever, just forever, and it wasn't until I got off a linear program did I reach it (5x5 bench a bit below my bw just destroyed me, I could not add a single pound, ever). The whole time I was staring at my DL which has ALWAYS been easy for me and I was wondering what the fuck is wrong with my other lifts? I got a trainer to peak my form and that was fine. I watched dozens of videos and read a hundred articles to no avail.

What did work for me was Wendler 531 which I can't speak more highly of. Switching to Wendler immediately allowed me to advance my bench.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah nothing wrong with shaking. If your going new max effort your not gonna have perfect form.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Last night I weighed in at 154... Chinese New Year has been good. But will probably see that drop down in about a week or two hitting the gym, high metabolism?. A lot of energy these past gym sessions

Stayed up last night watching youtube videos on dudes like phil heath, FUCK!

I was wearing chucks when squatting (and DL days), nike frees during bench days
    145 is my new PR after 135 since last 3months.
    It is not excessive shaking, but it's like I am struggling a little in the hole while going up
    Was asking bro if I lost my form at any time like rounding my back. He just said, from seeing me shake, that "I don't know when to stop when my form is breaking" WTFF =\

Heard some dudes, not sure if it was about me, but they said "it is all about explosion"
    Yeah, I don't really explode up in my squat motion.

db_ggmm: Yeah I think you got it right... and true, my DL is 235lb, bench 145, squat ~ 135

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Up to an even 40lbs gained since September. Bent down yesterday to tie my shoe and the back of my shirt ripped from near the shoulder down to my lower back, old shirt but still :slayer::slayer::slayer:

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Alright gym bros... need some advice:

What happened last week on Monday. Felt like it was recovering fast. Did OHP two days later without any pain or discomfort (and pushing my max). Last Friday night, felt like my shoulder was maybe at 98% so I tried to bench 160# 5x5. After two sets of 5, I knew this was a bad idea. Felt like it was back to how it was on Monday. Rested since Friday night... seems to be recovering slower than before. Most of the time, there is no discomfort at all but if I move my shoulder in very specific ways, there is slight pain (enough to let me know it is more than just sore muscles). My best guess is I tweaked a tendon or ligament near the AC joint.

Planning on going to the gym tonight but wondering if i should go light weight/high rep on OHP or skip it entirely.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^you just go light weight and use machines to supplement

sounds sort of like what happened to me early on last year, 1st month at gym, and i had to take a 1-2 week break from barbell/free weight and work on machines.

and i am sure you know all about the pre-work out stretches for the shoulders i.e. rotator cuff. really helps

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

if it hurts, dont do it. do something else that doesnt bother it, or stick with your assistance work. when i gimped my shoulder i couldnt bench, so i threw in extra sets of pullovers which didnt bug my shoulders at all. grab a copy of "trigger point therapy," get a theracane or a knobbler, massage it out, hot/cold showers, keep at the lifting.

then again, i had mine ultrasounded and it didnt turn up anything so i treated it as a tweak. if its legitimately fucked up, see a doctor.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

toasty, first of all, don't give advice.

second of all, i think you are overthinking it. post a video of your squat. don't load up the bar and be an idiot, go like 95lbs and lets see it.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

well it's not really my own advice if i am echoing what has been said here in the thread by others :eek: :foo:

video next week when i squat again, or this saturday when the gym is dead

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Rotator cuff is fine. No pain or discomfort during any of the movement/pressure tests. I do a gratuitous amount of shoulder dislocations (probably more than I need to) as soon as I get to the gym every time... and maybe this is the wrong mentality, but I'd rather save my energy by do nothing than machines.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

What movements cause pain?

Place the affected shoulder's hand on the opposite shoulder. Raise elbow to chin/mouth level. Any pain?

14. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Excellent Oly session today....increased PR for triples in both C&J and snatch by 5kg each. Had been nibbling away pretty slow lately, 2 kg here and there-- so to add on 5kg to both in one day felt real good. C&J especially was smooth, snatch was pretty good except for last rep I caught the bar forward and had to move my feet to stabilize while standing up. Hopefully closing in on 300lb C&J soon.

Also saw a guy miss a box jump and bang his shin. I felt queasy myself, having done that before and knowing the serious pain that goes along with it. I wouldn't wish such an occurrence on some of the most terrible people in the world.

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

It's hard to say because I'm always surprised by what hurts it (and surprised by what feels fine). What you suggested actually feels okay... maybe a tiny bit of discomfort. Hard to say. The only thing I can do to accurately reproduce the pain/discomfort is stand in front of my desk, turn my wrist so my palm is facing away from me, then put my weight down on the heel of my palm. There are other things I'm sure... I just don't know how to reproduce them yet.

EDIT: also feel pain in the last 15% of the movement when doing shoulder dislocations (from front to back)