Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

Getting a good trainer doesn't mean he can't still learn things. On the contrary, having someone at your disposal who knows his shit will allow you to hack away at the nonsense and just focus on absorbing the figurative meat and potatoes. I don't want to speak for them, but I'd wager Charly and jarude would both attest that they've learned quite a bit under ex.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Don't think he really needs a trainer. Assuming his squat and deadlift form are ok he just needs to eat more and increase weight. pretty simple.

Back DOMS are intense, snatch grip deads yesterday, heavy as fuack rows today. Hitting upper back 4 days a week now and considering switching from bench to incline db bench. Not long until cutting time. Working on hypertrophy, not long until cutting time so I want as much size as I can before then.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yeah I can understand all my grieving turns this place upside down. Don't want to sound like a downer all the time.

I do realize what I have to fix. Will stay positive and post good news when I can!

Anyways, forgot who mentioned this (think it was Eason), but 1.5x body is a good beginning?
    225lb DL, 135 squat/bench. Will update when the latter two are more evenly balanced with the former.

ty!

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Depends what lift you're talking about...

I've always heard that 1.5 x bw squat is considered intermediate level. Deadlift numbers should be 1.5-2 x bw for intermediate.

*Edit*: strstd.com numbers seem to confirm what I said. There are ranges for bench and ohp as well...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Did 165lbs at 5x5 on the bench today, for me, this is good.

Tried facepulls for the first time. I think I went to high on the weight and therefore was forced to lean backwards with my body when pulling, I suspect this prevented me from isolating the right muscles.

Does anyone have a good link to the non-Tate method for JM presses, every youtube video I find seems to prescribe a different approach.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

and for facepulls there's always going to be a slight amount of leaning backwards.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I usually lean back until im slightly angled back, but keep my arms straight and then pull with strict form and focus on getting a good contraction at the end of the motion and a slow negative. Uncomfortable to do them with a perfectly vertical back.

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

If you are worried you aren't doing facepulls correctly, do it in 2 steps: first pull the scapulas back then pull the rest

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

meh, not sure how i feel about these standards but i guess a decent landmark for people

11. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Given your recent laments about not being strong enough or big enough, I believe the correct answer in your case is "both." :D

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Don't drop your elbows too much and no need to go that far back - all that's doing is increasing bicep involvement.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I gotta disagree with you on that one Charlie. That looks like a high row for fucks sake.

14. mrchariybrown

And I have to disagree with you on that.

Scroll the time bar on knucks posted video and see how his elbows drop a bit below his shoulders when brought back?

These two are good examples of keeping elbows in line with the shoulders..

The second one, the dude even stated you don't want to drop them down and turn it into a row. And his first few reps are nice and in line with what he's say and as he gets to the latter reps, his form breaks down a bit and his elbows start dropping a little.

15. mrchariybrown

Another: