Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

People have started to notice that I've been getting bigger. Funny because I was starting to become discouraged a little due to lack of straight linear progress (I've had to repeat days on SS couple times)...

And right now as I got dressed for work, I had a hard time buttoning my shirt at the top and pants are really tight in the thighs.

3000+ calories + squats are really paying off. I can finally use the expression 'feelsgoodman'

Although I will say that as I move up in Squats, I'm not having as much fun as I did when I first started. Probably because I feel like I'm about to shit, puke, and pass out at the same time. Deadlifts tho... I really would like to do more than once a week

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. knucks

knucks Senior member

Love when people ask for advice at the gym, I give it, then they don't listen and do their thing anyways. One guy at the gym always talks to me, asked me for advice months and months ago. I sent him some 531 info via email.
    Turns out, he never read the email, stopped squatting and deadlifting because he's a "sprinter."

Never helping him again..

3. knucks

knucks Senior member

Subltemygfishotpost

My 95lb girlfriend maybe gets stares, maybe not. I don't think she cares. We usually go together but sometimes she goes alone.
    Considering her squat and deadlift are better form than most others, I think she has no issues telling people to fuck off.

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'll go through phases of different preferred lifts, usually alternating between squats and deads.

I quite cardio for the Winter and I'm starting to regret it. Getting winded quickly going up stairs and shit. I can't believe how quickly I've lost it.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Weak workout today. Couldn't bench shit, like as in getting pinned by 80kg tripples. Don't know what was wrong, I kept loosing back tightness. Did overhead dumbbell press for the first time in a while, front delts were really worn out though so I couldn't lift much and the movement just felt awkward. Probably just because I haven't done it in a while. Only good thing was rowing an 100lb dumbbell for 10 clean reps.

6. knucks

knucks Senior member

welp im supposed to pull 480 for 10-12 today but dont see that happening with my strained hamstring.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

hot + short + squatting = needs advice, evidently. gym advice bros are the worst bros :(

no, and i mean this in the nicest way possible. deloading and switching programs are the last thing he needs to do; he needs to start eating right, tracking his progress, taking videos of his lifts, and attempting linear progress once he nails those things down. i mean no offense to toasty either, but he's literally been given every possible resource and opportunity to succeed as a beginning lifter and 6 months later he's still asking the same questions. not trying to be a dick, we can say "video your lifts for a form critique" and "eat lots of protein" every day but without fail he will come in a week later and talk about his squat bombing.

this will come as well

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

yes..
    won't happen today unfortunately.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

No one gives me advice, kind of love it kind of hate it. Need stronger and smarter people to train around..

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Jelly

just woundering how long have you been lifting for because your moving some pretty huge weight.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

was reading a hockey blog and came across the wtf piece of exercise equipment of the day: http://www.corestix.com/

just what the hell is wrong with freeweights, anyways?

13. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Aside from diet, this is key. I can't recommend using the SS Logbook enough for a beginner:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Tools_and_Downloads

It's been a fantastic resource for me since there's no guessing involved. I plugged in initial numbers (I wasn't at 100 lbs on every single lift, especially bench and OHP) and followed the log exactly. If I struggled on a lift for the day (missed a rep on the last working set or w/e), I'd repeat the day next time around and make sure I'm able to complete all sets.

14. knucks

knucks Senior member

Maybe since I was 17, but really haven't been able to keep progress up for many years. I'd go up and go down, get injured, etc.
    I'm 23 now. Right now is probably the best I've been doing even tho I'm battling trunk stability issues (core strength, weak glute medius, muscle imbalances), strained hamstring, and a bunch of lil things.

15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Eh, there will always be a market for those seeking an "easy/new/exciting/fast" way to "get fit/lose weight/look great" in just minutes a day.