• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obliques are the primary muscle used in the bench press noob. Your obviously not up to date on bro lifts since all you do is those **** oly lifts.

seriously, he is all about tight snatches and public jerking.

speedy4500

Reaction score

Same scenario has been hitting me pretty hard this year at my Winter gym. I spend the rest of the year working out in my garage. I've been lifting long enough now that at a "weak" gym I am moving good weight / bodyweight. I guess I am lucky enough to look as I do, but plenty of other people clearly get more bang for the buck out of the weight they move.

I must weird because I don't care about how "big" or "ripped" I am. Granted, I'm already fairly well built, but every single goal I have is relates to performance, not appearance. If appearance changes as well, so be it, but it's not my priority.The only size that matters to me is how large the numbers are on the plates that I'm moving. In fact, I'd rather remain my current size and appearance and just get stronger. Obviously there's a limit to that, but I'd like to imagine myself as the guy who is much stronger than he looks. "Speak softly...."

so crossfit is generally looked down upon here?
seems like you really need to know what you're doing.

FWIW, there's a guy at my gym who I see regularly wearing Crossfit tshirts and doing Crossfit-style workouts. He recently squatted 585 for 3 reps, and can hang clean 405. Dude is a beast. He said that his program is a hybrid strength/Crossfit, so his group will throw on more weight rather than push for more reps or outright speed-- though he says they do still push to do things quickly. I've taken some hints from him and have shaped some of the workouts after what he does. If done correctly, Crossfit can work very well; but that can be said about most any workout "plan": it's only as good as the people doing it.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I must weird because I don't care about how "big" or "ripped" I am. Granted, I'm already fairly well built, but every single goal I have is relates to performance, not appearance. If appearance changes as well, so be it, but it's not my priority.The only size that matters to me is how large the numbers are on the plates that I'm moving. In fact, I'd rather remain my current size and appearance and just get stronger. Obviously there's a limit to that, but I'd like to imagine myself as the guy who is much stronger than he looks. "Speak softly...."
FWIW, there's a guy at my gym who I see regularly wearing Crossfit tshirts and doing Crossfit-style workouts. He recently squatted 585 for 3 reps, and can hang clean 405. Dude is a beast. He said that his program is a hybrid strength/Crossfit, so his group will throw on more weight rather than push for more reps or outright speed-- though he says they do still push to do things quickly. I've taken some hints from him and have shaped some of the workouts after what he does. If done correctly, Crossfit can work very well; but that can be said about most any workout "plan": it's only as good as the people doing it.

Great article:

http://impact-pt.com/fitness/what-crossfit-is-and-isnt/

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yeah I'd like to be in the category of being strong and don't *really* care about looks. I'd like to be leaner than I am now and pushing more weight, but do I care if I look like I workout in jeans and a tshirt? No.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed 100%. And no haterade to the lift-for-swoles-and-***** branch, this is just how I see it also.

Obliques are the primary muscle used in the bench press noob. Your obviously not up to date on bro lifts since all you do is those **** oly lifts.

seriously, he is all about tight snatches and public jerking.

:laugh:

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lift with strength goals, but I would be annoyed if I'm not bigger when I eventually deadlift 5 plates. Most of my training is in the 1-3 rep range, but a lot of my assistance work is in the higher reps and intended to increase mass.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I did that last week. Is your face supposed to really hurt afterwards? Had a headache for 2 days.

Nikolo

Reaction score

Im like 210ish and high teens so like 16-18%, still have vascularity and my muscle groups are clearly separated, so I wouldn't say thats a bad estimate. Its not like Im trying to say im 10%. 190 at 10% bf wouldn't be unrealistic.

You've got to be kidding about the 190 @ 10% bf. Definitely not unrealistic. Last I was measured, I was 11% at about 195 lbs. I'm about 199-200 lbs right and I think I may still be at the 11% bf range. That I will have to check. If you are referring to yourself at 190 @ 10%, then ignore. Also, I am 6'2"-3" range. Its not like I'm super tall so thats not it.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally have no idea what your saying. Someone translate please.
190lb at 10%bf is not small.

Last edited:

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got to be kidding about the 190 @ 10% bf. Definitely not unrealistic. Last I was measured, I was 11% at about 195 lbs. I'm about 199-200 lbs right and I think I may still be at the 11% bf range. That I will have to check. If you are referring to yourself at 190 @ 10%, then ignore. Also, I am 6'2"-3" range. Its not like I'm super tall so thats not it.

lrn2english plz

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to be 198 at 8%. That'd be cool I guess.

Nikolo

Reaction score
I was just mirin brah. Mah bad, I originally thought you said it was impossible to get 10% fb @ 190.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads