Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. why

why Senior member

Explain this to me. Because it's harder if the weight is hanging around your neck than your waist, or because it's harder if you're holding a dumbbell between your ankles instead of using a chain belt?

Because all of those differences make it a crappy benchmark exercise.

2. Hangdog

Hangdog Well-Known Member

Right, because you can't vary your stance or grip on deadlifts, squats or benches. And there's certainly no tricks or technique involved in the Olympic lifts.

3. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

[​IMG]

4. why

why Senior member

Right, because you can't vary your stance or grip on deadlifts, squats or benches. And there's certainly no tricks or technique involved in the Olympic lifts.

I swear you're just messing with me.

5. Hangdog

No, actually. The clean and press was a Oly lift until 1972 when it was discontinued because the Soviets were so good at doing it bent backwards that it became like a standing bench. I would still call the standing press a better indicator of upper body strength than the bench press. I think there's a lot of closed-minded attitudes and overly strict adherence to dogma about what lift is good and what isn't in powerlifting. The standing curl used to be a power lift, too.

6. why

why Senior member

No, actually. The clean and press was a Oly lift until 1972 when it was discontinued because the Soviets were so good at doing it bent backwards that it became like a standing bench. I would still call the standing press a better indicator of upper body strength than the bench press. I think there's a lot of closed-minded attitudes and overly strict adherence to dogma about what lift is good and what isn't in powerlifting. The standing curl used to be a power lift, too.

Now I'm convinced you're screwing with me.

7. Hangdog

Well that must be it, then.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

Having a chinup bar and random dumbbells lying around the house kicks ass.

9. Chaos P. Bennu

Chaos P. Bennu Senior member

[​IMG]
    +1

10. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

Say you've got a program that you've stuck with, that works for you, and that you enjoy. You're in the middle of a progression (not in any kind of deloading phase) and you realize toward the end of a workout that you have a lot more to give. Do you stay true to the program, or do you throw it out the window and do all the work you can?

11. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

Say you've got a program that you've stuck with, that works for you, and that you enjoy. You're in the middle of a progression (not in any kind of deloading phase) and you realize toward the end of a workout that you have a lot more to give. Do you stay true to the program, or do you throw it out the window and do all the work you can?

I stay true to the program. It'l be heavier soon enough.

12. surfnbank

surfnbank Senior member

On top of trying to lose weight I just like the endorphin rush from working out not sure how I would make it without it.

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

fit day, gym america

^ I heard good things about www.fitday.com

Thanks dudes. So I've been tracking calories/nutritonal content of what I eat (casually, not with like a scale and a burner). And according to my admittedly small sample size I don't eat too much, calorie-wise (consistently around 2000/day; yes, including beer), but I seem to be eating way too much carbwise, a little too much fatwise, and not nearly enough proteinwise. Do I really need to start eating poached chicken breasts in order to balance it out? Ugh.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

well, what i do is eat 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs on training days, 50% protein, 45% fat and 5% carbs on non-training days.

most people are surprised by how little and how poorly they eat.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

well, what i do is eat 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs on training days, 50% protein, 45% fat and 5% carbs on non-training days.

[​IMG]

Typical for me.
    [​IMG]

BTW I will not even be attempting to eat healthily when in NY next week.